3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

First 4000 miles report compare to Ford N Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 05 dually, 3:73's pulled harder then my brothers 05 KR 350. 4:10's, but I also had I believe 40 more #'s of torque
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by RiddlerLS1
Im very surprised to hear you say you thought the ford pulled better loaded.
Thanks for all the responces, cant wait to try manually shifting, cant say why I didnt think to do that. Perhaps I take the term "auto" too literally

I didnt intend to say the Ford pulls better loaded overall. The Dodge accelerates harder in most situations. I am not used to downshifting manually so I have not tried that. The Ford and Chevy both downshifted when it needed it. The Dodge must be staying in 5 or 6 at such a low rpm it wont grunt up the grade. It just maintains. Thursday I tow the G/N again and I will use the shift buttons. I have not tried that. I am in a habit of just hitting tow button and never touching anything again so that must be what is happening.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calfrope
What?

I read this and think you disagree then read it again and think you agree, then I give up and decide I just dont have a clue what you said.
If engines 1, 2 and 3 are made one after the other and you put them in to 3 identical trucks. You then take the truck with engine #2, work it hard compared the other two engines and most likely it will be a better engine then the other 2 if the other two were used as daily drivers.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:47 PM

Thanks for all the responces, cant wait to try manually shifting, cant say why I didnt think to do that. Perhaps I take the term "auto" too literally

I didnt intend to say the Ford pulls better loaded overall. The Dodge accelerates harder in most situations. I am not used to downshifting manually so I have not tried that. The Ford and Chevy both downshifted when it needed it. The Dodge must be staying in 5 or 6 at such a low rpm it wont grunt up the grade. It just maintains. Thursday I tow the G/N again and I will use the shift buttons. I have not tried that. I am in a habit of just hitting tow button and never touching anything again so that must be what is happening.
Let us know how the towing go's again please.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:05 AM

I sort of wished my 05 would downshift alittle sooner, my brothers KR, would downshift alot, he could very seldom use cruise. I would be on cruise, and have to kick it off because I would push him up the hills. The big part was in a identical between fillup, I used 4.4 gals less then his ford. We bothe have 08's now, but I have'nt towed any distance to coment on the new dodge. The shift button will be nice.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:22 AM

From my experiances with a Ford yes they downshift on the hill but then the RPMS are close to red line but your not going any faster. Infact that is what I hate about automatics is the constant downshifting on a hill when they could just maintain in their original gear. From the way you describle the way your tranny is operating I would be very happy with it!!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by DBLR
If engines 1, 2 and 3 are made one after the other and you put them in to 3 identical trucks. You then take the truck with engine #2, work it hard compared the other two engines and most likely it will be a better engine then the other 2 if the other two were used as daily drivers.

That is basically the theory behind taking a new engine and loading it hard early on like I describe what I did and have done in the past. That is why I was confused that you said

"IMHO there has never been a need to drive a modern diesel engine from 50 to 80 MPH to seat the rings or to help break it in."

My thinking as well as a few really well known and respected engine builders is that high pressures early will wear in or "seat" the rings before the cylinder walls have a chance to glaze from work hardening. I am by no means trying to come off as an expert, I just have seen the results many many times and I can't tell you what would be different about the mechanics between a gas or diesel engine in this regard but I do know cylinder walls is cylinder walls and rings is rings and neither give a rat's doodoo what fuel is used to make em go bang bang bang. I can run a gas engine on WD-40 or carb cleaner and the rings and cylinder walls still do the same thing. Pressure makes the rings expand and + pressure = + expansion = + friction = something is going to give even if it is miniscule. cheers
Old 05-07-2008, 03:27 PM

This is the only part I will disagrees with you "but I do know cylinder walls is cylinder walls and rings is rings" From all of the diesel pistons and rings I've see over the years theres is a difference between the 2 and what they are made out of. I don't know of any standard gas engine (be it a 350 Chev or a Ford 390 etc) piston, rings or cylinder wall that would hold up to what a diesel piston, ring & cylinder wall has to handle every day.

JMHO
Old 05-07-2008, 11:37 PM

For got about this.....

TSB 21-019-07
FLASH: 68RFE Transmission - Harsh Coastdown Shift And/Or Harsh 2-3 Upshift

You may want to try this also.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Sorry I'm new here.............what is d/f ?
Same as a Henway.