3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Extended Warrantee - Worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warrantee - Worth it or not?

I would be interested to hear your experiences and the pros and cons of an extended warrantee on a new 2007.5 Dodge 3500, DRW, QC, 4x4, 6.7, auto etc.
This trucks primary intended use is to tow a 5th Wheel over the next 5 to 10 years, much of which will be out of state.

Other than Dynatrac, gauges, GPS, rims & tires, a hitch and a trailer brake I intend to keep this truck stock.

The dealer has offered several extended warrantees, from a company called Western General, which would take the rest of the truck out to 5 or 6 years and 72k to 100k.

The 01.5 in my signature has over 90k and no problems that I didn’t cause myself.

Thanks,

George
Old 05-26-2007, 09:44 PM

I am with you. on this one, My 07 has 26k + miles as of thisafternoon and I have only had it sience the first week in Oct. 06.

what will the ext'd wrnty. cover????
Old 05-27-2007, 12:56 AM

I just picked up my 3500 yesterday and from the sounds of the warranty just about everything that would go wrong is not covered. For example if you live in Alaska and the heater blower goes out they do not cover that because it is considered extreme use. Same for Arizona and AC's. Basically everything has an out in this warranty was what I got from the dealer spill. At 3200.00 for the 7 year plan I really was not interested in giving them money to cover stuff that shouldn't break anyways. If it does I will buy it and fix it. Just my experience with the warranty stuff. Too much legal mumbo jumbo and not enough fixing of anything that matters.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:04 AM

Keep your money. They sell extended warranties to fatten up the profit. They never lose money on those because if they did you wouldn't be able to buy one.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:45 AM

In april I bought an 07 QC 5.9. I purchased the DC 7yr. 70,000 mile "Max CARE" warranty for $1200. For me the years & mileage work out just right and the price seemed worth it. I recently sold a 2002 f150 that had the tranny go out at 34000 miles and was fixed under extended warranty for 100 deductable. All insurance is a money maker but sometimes we cash in. There is a northeast dealer on the internet that sells the DC contracts at a good price. I used his quotes and was able to get the price I stated earlier.

JS
Old 05-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Banned

I too had to balance the cost of repair vs the service contract. The only big thing I worried about was the transmission and rear end which is only covered for 36,000 or 3 yrs. Cummins warranties the engine for 100,000 but my guess is a 68rfe is going to cost a grand to repair and much more than that for a complete replacement. I am sure that I will have to fight with DCX over an EGT and a DPF when they are emissions and covered for 50,000 by the feds. Bottom Line is will Advantage try to deny a service? probably but US$100.00 is easier for me than US$1000.00. When I read the service contract I get all warm and fuzzy, that will probably change when I will need to use it! (lol)
Fred
Old 05-27-2007, 08:36 AM

Go with the Maximum Care on the warranty. I live in AZ and of course the A/C is covered. A lot of people purchase the least expensive warranty and then complain because it doesn't cover anything.

If you add performance mods to your truck they can and will void your warranty. If you leave it stock they will cover what is in the book. Some dealers out there might try and give you a hard time, but they will cover it.

I paid $2100 for an 8 year 100K Maximum Care warranty on my Mega Cab.

My 2003 QC Hemi had several things go out, drivers side seat motor, CD player, thermostat, AC unit, 2 window regulators and tranny.

These would have been big money if not for the warranty.

If you don't plan on keeping it, or you are going to do any mods then you will most likely not want to get it.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:05 AM

I just bought my truck a week ago and got the 4 yr 100k warranty for $2100. I covers bumper to bumper. I figured with the new engine that having the warranty might be a good idea in case all of the kinks arent worked out.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM

IMO (and most? other people) insurance if for a catastrophy. I don't consider a repair of any kind on a pickup a catastrophy. Don't waste your money.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:54 PM

It takes a lot of stuff to go wrong to add up to that extra $1,000 or $2,000 you spend on an extended warranty. I had a 1998 F150 for 9 years and I had the standard 3/36 warranty on it. After it expired I had a couple of major problems that ended up costing me about $800 to fix. The dealer still would've made money had I purchased an extended warranty there. That's probably the case with 99.5 percent of extended warranties considering how reliable modern vehicles are. Depsite the impression all the people having troubles with their trucks in this and other forums might leave on you the vast majority of folks out there with untweaked rigs don't ever have major warrantable issues where this was worth it.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:35 PM

I bought one on this truck.. (upgraded the 7/70 power train to 7/70 bumper to bumper for $1,100).

SO far this truck has been really good and I have not really had any warranty issues so far (knock on wood) with 21K miles.

I also bought it on my 99 Durango and it paid for itself.. that truck had a problem with power window motors it ate 5 of them in the 5 years of the warranty and 1 blend door.

You have to be careful of the company.. If it is a DC warranty then it should be honored. I never had any problems.. drove it in Paid my $100.00 and got it back no questions asked.

If it is an independent insurance company they will try and wiggle out of every item they can.. A friend had one and they fought him every step of the way any time he had a problem. Rear end broke, tried to void it because he didn't have receipts for engine oil changes from a mechanic.. only had the store receipts for oil. Just stupid stuff like that...

Again it is insurance.. may pay off may not.. just like buying insurance for the truck.. if you don't get in an accident you wasted your policy money.. but when you do you are glad it was there..

Gerry
Old 05-29-2007, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not go with and after market warranty company only Dodge. Seen to many friends screwed by the other after market ones so I only buy one from Dodge so I know what I have. Also with the extra warranty from Dodge you get a free loaner car if your truck is in the shop longer then a day and with out it you do not get one. My self I got one as I sure can't work on it if it breaks down nor can I afford the $75 or more per hour labor plus parts to fix what goes wrong after the 3/36 warranty is up.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
As long as it is through Dodge you will be much better off. I had one on my 98 Gasser truck and had the trans rebuilt at 60k and a new bottom end of the engine at 80k. More than paid for itself with these 2 things. (only cost me $100 for each) My thinking is if you have it and need it your better off than not having it and needing it. These are one of those things you will NEVER know until you buy it and it runs out. I say do it.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:29 PM

my extended warranty was well worth it. I paid $2282 for it and if I do not use it, I get $2282 back in my pocket at the end of the term. well worth around $200 in interest over 5 years or 100k. it is also thru daimler chrysler, not some 3rd party, which i have read horror stories about. One more year and I may have to start some mods.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:32 PM

I purchased a 100,000 mile warranty, good thing because about two weeks ago I took it in and had them check the transmission because it was not acting correctly. THey pulled the pan and said there were metal shavings. The manual said to do the first fluid change at 30,000 miles good thing I did not wait. The dealer says just sit back and wait until it goes up in smoke and they will replace it for my 100 deduct. I can say that I have played with a programmer a few times otherwise I take excellent care of my fleet, so if it was from a mod I don't know but the dealer said all the newer trucks they recomend 15,000 service.
I would by it, another example was my E320 it only has 38,000 miles on it, I took it to the dealer and they said because the car was in perfect condition and I was under the 45,000 miles they would give me a warranty for 4 years or 90,000 miles, I jumped on the 3000.00 bumper to bumper. Guess what within a month the trans starting shifting bad and slipping at times, make a long story short just got it back and I paid 100 dollars and the new trans was 6000.00 so I already am ahead!
Things are not made as they used to be, and our overpaid union workers don't care about the final product they only worry about that paycheck, instead of quality of a product. Why do I say this I see it every day, being in petroleum construction, I cannot find a single person that actually wants to work for a paycheck, I owe them, thats what I was told. And its not like I do not pay well my labors make over 18 and my operators over 30 per hour. Plus we work a minimum of 60 hours a week!
Sorry about off topic and my ranting but it PO's me Sorry again.

flgc

Quick Reply: Extended Warrantee - Worth it or not?