3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Exhaust Brake Switch MIA, can I program one in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Brake Switch MIA, can I program one in?

First off, my truck is a C&C, so I know thats a whole nother ball game. My truck doesn't have an exhaust brake switch inside the cab. I was told by a buddy that that my turbo actually is my exhaust brake and that there might be a programmer available to replace the switch inside the cab (or work with an aftermarket switch inside the cab).

I know that this truck being a cab and chasis is different than most out there (since mine's missing an egr cooler), but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has a similar truck who has used some type of programmer to enable the exhaust brake function.

I do tow quite frequently and would love to be able to "use" an exhaust brake system that might "exist" on the truck right now. Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Hunter
Old 03-13-2011, 09:20 AM

I have the same issue with my new to me 2007 c&c 3500, no exhaust brake switch. I called my dodge dealer and it's 200.00 to install the switch and software. Will be doing this in the next couple weeks.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:35 PM

Thanks, Im gonna call mine and see what they say.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM

I'd make a bet that the programming is already there. Its the same for an 06-07.5 when brake became available. The 200 bones is for the switch and labor to install it only. Plug is probably there just waiting for the switch and then you'll be able to activate the EB.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 PM

fwiw starscan can turn the eb on/off, so it may need to be flashed in addition to the switch
Old 03-15-2011, 08:47 PM

I called my dealer today and they had no clue to what I was talking about. They said they would look into it and call me back...never heard back from them.

2 questions:

What is the fwiw starscan? A programmer? Something a good diesel shop will have?

If my dealer does somehow realize what I'm talking about, and can do it for me (if they have to program/ flash the truck), what are the chances of them finding out I did some type of delete on the truck. I know it depends on the dealer, I guess I'm just worried about them hearing that my truck sounds different than stock and them snooping around under the truck...

Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel4x4
I called my dealer today and they had no clue to what I was talking about. They said they would look into it and call me back...never heard back from them.

2 questions:

What is the fwiw starscan? A programmer? Something a good diesel shop will have?

Thanks again.
FWIW(For what its Worth)

Starscan is I believe a dealer only scan tool.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM

Well yall can see how up to date I am on my web lingo, haha
Old 03-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Purplezr2
FWIW(For what its Worth)

Starscan is I believe a dealer only scan tool.
well if ya got $25k in your back pocket, chrysler will sell ya a license and a starscan.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:47 PM

Grush,

You wouldnt happen to remember exactly what your dealer said, or have a service order, procedure, or anything of that nature would you. I spent 2 hrs at my dealer today trying to figure this out with them, and still have no clue. They've tried calling Chrysler, but are still waiting to hear back from them. I told them I would try and figure out something from this forum and get back with them. They are idiots.

Any info would be great...
Old 03-18-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Grush,

You wouldnt happen to remember exactly what your dealer said, or have a service order, procedure, or anything of that nature would you. I spent 2 hrs at my dealer today trying to figure this out with them, and still have no clue. They've tried calling Chrysler, but are still waiting to hear back from them. I told them I would try and figure out something from this forum and get back with them. They are idiots.

Did they have a technician who is familiar at all with the diesels?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
Did they have a technician who is familiar at all with the diesels?
Yes, one was sitting with us at the counter. He was worried about there not being a wiring harness in place behind the dash and was suggesting to look up wiring diagrams. I couldn't take their "lack of knowledge" (crap) anymore after 2 hrs and told them to call me when they actually figured some thing out.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 AM

Couldn't you just look to see if you have a VGT first?

Tobin
Old 03-20-2011, 01:43 PM

Grush,

Sorry for the delay,

The dealer I called is in (Salem, Oregon, on Commercial st.) I'm in Tucson for a class or I'd look it up for you in the phone book. Didn't seem to be a problem for these guys, they do have C&C trucks for sale on there lot, so I guess they work on them in their service department.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by grush
Sorry for the delay,

The dealer I called is in (Salem, Oregon, on Commercial st.) I'm in Tucson for a class or I'd look it up for you in the phone book. Didn't seem to be a problem for these guys, they do have C&C trucks for sale on there lot, so I guess they work on them in their service department.
Just looked up the ph # on the computer (Withnell Dodge 877-303-1959) give them a call maybe they can help.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Brake Switch MIA, can I program one in?