3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

EGR necessity ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR necessity ???

Great to see the change in rules. Just put this site back on to my bookmarks tool bar. Look forward again to reading about what is most interesting part of the Cummins 6.7.
Back to the question. In February I removed the DPF and both cats from the exhaust system. Since then the truck has ran very well and I have been rewarded with a 3 mpg saving in fuel costs. The EGR was left unaltered. Now that the DPF is gone does the EGR serve any useful purpose and can it be removed without hurting another part of the system ? Can anyone think of any reason why this equipment should be left in place other then to prevent trouble codes and keep the warranty intact.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:16 AM

This Turbo is designed to produce boost at the low end.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you have ditched the DPF go ahead and block off the EGR. With it still on there it's pumping extra soot right back into the engine.

MikeyB
Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 PM

Block the EGR,its just ugly whats in the intakes of these trucks,no codes should appear either
Old 08-22-2008, 02:12 PM

the EGR system is used to lower combustion temps, therefore lowering NOx emissions that come out of the exhaust. there will be no benefit to losing the EGR valve. Just leave it there. If you're going to run a truck with no catalytic converters at all, at least do a favor and leave that part alone.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by titoheadfaceman
the EGR system is used to lower combustion temps, therefore lowering NOx emissions that come out of the exhaust. there will be no benefit to losing the EGR valve. Just leave it there. If you're going to run a truck with no catalytic converters at all, at least do a favor and leave that part alone.
Your right on what an EGR does but you are wrong everywhere else.

The EGR is pumping soot back into the motor, gumming everything up and causing all sorts of crap down the road.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1oldcj
Your right on what an EGR does but you are wrong everywhere else.

The EGR is pumping soot back into the motor, gumming everything up and causing all sorts of crap down the road.
that's why mine is missing in action.. truck runs better with it off, it's not needed for the regen temps, and best of all, it's not pumping all of that soot back into my motor. if you've balled up and already done your exhaust, then i say you may as well get rid of the other evil (egr).
Old 08-22-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, the EGR is a far greater evil than the DPF. While you may not get the immediate and obvious benefits that deleting the DPF yields (read: instant fuel savings) you will get the long-term benefits of not having to buy a new turbo every 15000 miles, not having to take your truck for a dealer service at every oil change (on your time once the warranty is up), actually getting to see your truck in your driveway every morning and not at the dealer's service lot, and the peace of mind that your truck will last like CTD-powered Dodge's do. I honestly can't see even the legendary Cummins lasting with as much crap as the EGR pumps into it.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 PM

i hear you. just remember the dpf HAS to go before the egr. if not, then you have even more problems with the dpf.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:02 PM

Are you guys seeing coolant temperatures drop without the EGR functioning? One would think so as you aren't using coolant to cool spent exhaust.. Retarded!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:50 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you guys with the 6.7 noticed any stumbling in the engine? Or after removing the EGR that the engine felt like it ran better. I mean just better manners? It seems with my Passat TDI that there is so much EGR that it can barely fire at some throttle positions and I'm hoping the 6.7 is not that way. And then also, was there a noticeable difference in power?

It's great that the mileage is going up so much with the DPF delete.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 AM

All the EGR delete kits that I've sold have come back with people happy with how the truck ran, more responsive, etc.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:05 AM

What I have noticed with the EGR gone is
1. MUCH cooler temps. My EGT's went down some with the DPF delte, they went down even more with the EGR blockoff!!
2. Better low end resonse. The engine feels so much more free at the low end, like it is not being held back
3. Engine temps are cooler. I had my edge set at 212 and it would alert all the time, now it never goes off.
4. no black smoke! When I did the DPF delete, the truck would smoke like a 12 valve. Now it doesn't smoke at all. Just a bit of a haze out of the tailpipe

To me it looks like Cummins really compounded the regen issue with this EGR. just seeing the amount of soot the trucks sucks back into the intake would make you believe it is regening twice as much with this thing on there!!

Chris
Old 09-02-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I blocked off the EGR valve on my Dad's truck over the weekend, along with the DPF delete. Only 5k miles and I couldn't believe the amount of soot buildup already. I cannot imagine what the system will look like at 50k, if it even makes it that far without having to be cleaned.

MikeyB
Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris,

That black smoke says a lot. It was getting so much exhaust back in it couldn't even burn all the fuel it was getting. Not enough oxygen. Wow, it must have a lot more power now too.

For you guys with the DPF delete, how does the kit fool the engine into not going into regen, injecting fuel into the exhaust and throwing codes?

Quick Reply: EGR necessity ???