3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Drivetrain fluid changes/flushes - DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivetrain fluid changes/flushes - DIY?

2007.5 6.7 QC dually, 68RFE 4x4 Mainly used for towing a 16k 5ver. 38k miles, probably at least 60-70% of that towing the heavy trailer. Absolutely fantastic luck so far with the truck, no problems whatsoever. Superb tow vehicle!!!

In an effort to keep it that way, I had all of the drivetrain fluids (trans, diffs, transfer case) changed around 22k at the dealer, and as you would expect it was way overpriced. I'm considering doing the trans fluid again, and perhaps the other fluids again too, because of the strain the drivetrain gets with the 23-24k heavy combo.

How difficult is it to change those fluids (and trans filter?) myself? I'm a pretty good shadetree mechanic, I can do everything on my racecar except the internal engine machining (I just lack the equipment, lathes, etc). But I do everything else, including engine swaps, so I'm reasonably competant.

But other than swapping the fuel filter setup for the better 5 micron setup and changing the oil regularly, I have zero DIY experience with the truck's maintenance. I did a few searches (admittedly brief ones), and didn't find any threads with advice. Can anyone share any advice or point me to a good place/threads with some DIY info? I hate to pay a dealer hundreds of dollars for some basic fluid changes if I can do them myself.

I do see a $28 trans filter on Geno's, are there any other consumables other than the fluid itself? Gasket(s)? Any fluid recommendations? I may only do the trans fluid, I'm not sure I need to do the diffs or the transfer case, but if anyone has any thoughts about that, please don't be shy.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Vern
Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the loading you have described, I would say a change of all the fluids is cheap maintenance really.

Synthetic fluids would be my recommendation as it was that way from the factory. The diffs are the most cumbersome as you have 2 options, pull off the pan or just suck out the fluid with a fluid extractor of some sort. Transfer case has a drain plug (not sure as I have not done it). And the transmission I ordered (and yet to install ) a Mag-Hytec pan for it so I can just pull the plug to drain it instead of taking a shower in fluid or using a fluid extractor again with a long hose down the dipstick.

If you can service your race car, this would be a cake-walk IMHO..