3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

did I mess up my emissions by using CI-4 instead of CJ-4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did I mess up my emissions by using CI-4 instead of CJ-4?

I just got this "new to us" truck and changed oil using CI-4 instead of CJ-4 & 20081 spec. I've run it about 900 miles since the change. Have I messed up my DPF or hurt the motor? Has anyone else run this type of oil instead of the CJ-4. Really ticks me off as the only oil thats affordable and synthetic is made locally, but its not CJ rated...

FYI -rotella 5w40 synthetic is 40$ a gallon up here... and I refuse to pay that..
Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by klx650a2
I just got this "new to us" truck and changed oil using CI-4 instead of CJ-4 & 20081 spec. I've run it about 900 miles since the change. Have I messed up my DPF or hurt the motor? Has anyone else run this type of oil instead of the CJ-4. Really ticks me off as the only oil thats affordable and synthetic is made locally, but its not CJ rated...

FYI -rotella 5w40 synthetic is 40$ a gallon up here... and I refuse to pay that..
What happens, my understanding, is that under normal operation a little oil always gets burned from the oil on the cylinder walls for lubrication some albeit very little gets burned. So when the oil burns the zinc in the oil somehow degrades the cat. My understanding is that its not an all at once effect, but long term. The reason for the zinc reduction in the CJ oil is so that the catalytic converters/dpf's will last longer. Like 100k plus, or to get out of warranty.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Geeze, we need to figure out how for us down here to be able to trade you guys our junk CJ for your CI....... I can't hardly find CI any longer, and my stockpile is getting smaller.

Perhaps I need to make a road trip up with a trailer loaded up.......
Old 09-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by klx650a2

I think Valvoline Blue is what is preferred by Cummins. They even put the Cummins logo on the Valvoline container. I have been having mine done at the dealership, I guess they use Mopar? I pay the dealership $64 for oil & filter change. Bet they don't use synthetic oil.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apwatson50
What happens, my understanding, is that under normal operation a little oil always gets burned from the oil on the cylinder walls for lubrication some albeit very little gets burned. So when the oil burns the zinc in the oil somehow degrades the cat. My understanding is that its not an all at once effect, but long term. The reason for the zinc reduction in the CJ oil is so that the catalytic converters/dpf's will last longer. Like 100k plus, or to get out of warranty.
That is correct on gas engines. While there may be a reduction in the Zinc additives in the base oil of an HDEO, the true culprit for causing more frequent regens and possibly plugged DPF's is the sulfated ash content of the older CI4 oils. Since the DPF's job is to collect ash, a higher ash content in the oil or fuel will collect quicker in the DPF. The new CJ4 CES20081 has a lower sulfated ash content. Couple together with the ulta low sulfur diesel, and you have the "recommended mix".

I seriously doubt that you have done any harm to your aftertreatment. However, at the first chance, a change over to the recommended oil spec would be in your best interests.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Geeze, we need to figure out how for us down here to be able to trade you guys our junk CJ for your CI....... I can't hardly find CI any longer, and my stockpile is getting smaller.

Perhaps I need to make a road trip up with a trailer loaded up.......
Try Wal-Mart. I bought a bunch of their store brand Super Tech CI-4 and it works fine. I want to say it's $8.50 a gallon. I stick with the CI-4 like they recommended I use when I bought the truck. I'm running LSD fuel too, for however much longer I can buy it until the EPA gestapo runs it out of existence.

I have heard of some guys on here buying CI-4 from their John Deere tractor dealer as well.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amsoil still sells CI-4 group IV synthetic. I've been running CI-4 Amsoil since my BlueTec badge fell off.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoHound
since my BlueTec badge fell off.

Funny how that can happen.