3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Continuing Code Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EGR cleaning kit was used on mine last week after I had the same problem as you. Mine has 33k miles on the clock. So far, 4 days and a couple hundred short type running miles and NO CEL. Lower end torque feels a bit more powerful too. Will be heading out on another 1,300 mile run this week which will be the real test. Not going to use any more diesel additives, which I've been using since day 1 with this truck - mostly Howes and some PS, as I've said before in a couple of posts. Dodge tech feels the additives may have been a factor in the "gumming" up of the EGR tube and valve. My EGR valve was stuck open due to all the stuff in the pipe. Wish it would've been stuck SHUT as I would've left it like that and put a piece of tape over the CEL. Can't believe continually blowing all that exhaust into the intake of a diesel can be all that good.
Leaving Wed. night, returning Thurs. night. I'll let you know how it worked when I get back. Hope this helps the fuel mileage which was one of the reasons I was using the Howes & PS.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by pistons
I fail to understand how a cleaning kit is going to provide a long-term fix to our problem. My vehicle has less that 2K on the clock and my patience is rapidly running out.
I forgot to mention that my CEL problem started around mid 20k miles. Tech thought because I mostly use mine towing/highway that this could be why my problem didn't show up as early as some others.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by billindenver
Right on man, glad you are enjoying your truck. Now, head on down to the local hospital and tell them you are suffering from 6.7 envy. Trust me, they will know exactly what you mean and get you the proper treatment. Or you can print out the following for their reference.

HUMAN TSB #6.7NV

Patient states clearly and often that he loves his older truck.

Patient also spends hours each day reading sections of webboards specifically set aside for 6.7 trucks with no older content

Patient likes to tell owners in the 6.7 section that he is very glad he doesn't own one of their trucks, but yet....he is still reading all about them every chance he gets.

DIAGNOSIS

Patient clearly suffers from 6.7 envy, possibly exasperated by low self esteem and fuelpumpkabloowee syndrome. Treatment can be as simple as giving patient enough of a pay raise to afford the new truck, but occasionally requires a swift kick in the seat and the advice to stop reading about the 6.7's that people are loving every day and he might stop obsessing over one himself.

Now THAT's funny right there, I don't care who ya are!!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by billindenver
Right on man, glad you are enjoying your truck. Now, head on down to the local hospital and tell them you are suffering from 6.7 envy. Trust me, they will know exactly what you mean and get you the proper treatment. Or you can print out the following for their reference.

HUMAN TSB #6.7NV

Patient states clearly and often that he loves his older truck.

Patient also spends hours each day reading sections of webboards specifically set aside for 6.7 trucks with no older content

Patient likes to tell owners in the 6.7 section that he is very glad he doesn't own one of their trucks, but yet....he is still reading all about them every chance he gets.

DIAGNOSIS

Patient clearly suffers from 6.7 envy, possibly exasperated by low self esteem and fuelpumpkabloowee syndrome. Treatment can be as simple as giving patient enough of a pay raise to afford the new truck, but occasionally requires a swift kick in the seat and the advice to stop reading about the 6.7's that people are loving every day and he might stop obsessing over one himself.

That was a great post and now I’m envious that you wrote and posted it and not me
Old 07-19-2007, 09:34 PM

Today I was able to retrieve my truck from the dealership after a three day stay to remedy to P245A code. The tech had called STAR and ended up replacing the EGR valve and actuator assembly. He showed me the old assembly and how much force was needed to make it move and doubted it was ever really working properly.

I have now made it one full day without the CEL illuminating (out of the twenty days I’ve owned the vehicle).
Old 07-20-2007, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by pistons
I have now made it one full day without the CEL illuminating (out of the twenty days I’ve owned the vehicle).
Yep, time for a celebration!

I haven't had any trouble with my truck for the last couple thousand miles, I'm happy as can be. Was starting to think it liked the service guys more than me. LOL
Old 07-20-2007, 08:22 AM

Have the same problem!! I took my truck back yesterday & dropped both set of keys on the new car sales desk & said "write me a check or find me a 5.9 mega cab 4 x4 just like mine." I then got a loaner dually 6 spd so I could pull my 20' Gooseneck and went back to work. I would advise the same thing if I was you, its funny the warranty that new trans for 180K and motor for 100K, but the emissions crap is only 50K??? They just do not know what is up with this new design, good luck to you- There is always the lemon law..
Old 07-20-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Txturf
Have the same problem!! I took my truck back yesterday & dropped both set of keys on the new car sales desk & said "write me a check or find me a 5.9 mega cab 4 x4 just like mine." I then got a loaner dually 6 spd so I could pull my 20' Gooseneck and went back to work. I would advise the same thing if I was you, its funny the warranty that new trans for 180K and motor for 100K, but the emissions crap is only 50K??? They just do not know what is up with this new design, good luck to you- There is always the lemon law..
How did you find out about the length of the warranty for the emissions?? I thought Federally mandated emissions equipment were supposed to be warranted for the life of the vehicle??

They had a dually with a gooseneck ball already installed?? When I got a loaner for the week I could only use the receiver hitch and had to temporarily install the brake controller. I needed a 5th wheel hitch but they didn't have any.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:42 AM

We have a 07 3500 6.7 6sp also. Our light came on at 5000 miles for P245a We took it in they cleaned it out and whatever. The **** like came on again on the way home. We talked alot about this crap in my smog classes. This just isn't going to work. We use our Rig for hauling horses from state to state.
So what is the fix????? We traded our 03 3500 Auto for this thing that truck had 300k on it no problems other then the Fuse box.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:54 AM

I forgot to add, That are MPG was about 14.4 pulling a 6 horse trailer then droped to 10.3-11.5 when the Eng light came on. After they cleaned the EGR the MPG went back up to 14 the light came on and Dropped again.
What the hell??
God forbid any of us own Smog shops when these Dumbys want us to smog Deisel's. The Dinos are going to be Clogged up every other day.
I'm all for clean air. But there is a thing called common sence to.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:07 PM

Common sense? EPA tree huggers? Listen man, try not to use language that the Gore's of the world do not understand. Also...I should add, I do not blame Gore for something put into law during Bushwack's term.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 PM

Well it appears my one day without the CEL illuminating and code P245a was just that - one day. The last dealer visit, which concluded Thursday (July 19th) with an EGR assembly replacement, did not remedy this problem. The CEL and code appeared once again on Saturday with less than 100 miles since the last service. Today, I took the truck back to the dealer who stated they did not even want to look at the vehicle as they "had already done everything they could do and they would have to call STAR."

I left the dealer feeling truly amazed at Chrysler's response to a customer who leased a vehicle with a sticker price north of $50K less than a month ago. The local service department has done everything within its ability and power to resolve the problem but it appears Dodge does not have a solution.

Once back at the office, I called the leasing company (a major player with over 700K vehicles worldwide) and recanted the entire saga. The leasing company stated someone would call Chrysler to get the issue resolved. Chrysler started a war and I’m a willing participant after what I’ve going through with this vehicle.

The truck has no modifications and has always received fuel from large truck stop pumps. It was properly broken in and no fuel additives have ever been used. The thread “Light throttle stumble - 6.7” in this forum may provide some clues to the EGR issues some of us have been experiencing IMHO. The CEL seems to always illuminate when I’m traveling about 45MPH.

I'm thinking a different vehicle without the 6.7L as I can't stand going in for service every 4.5 days. Hmm, I think its time to go read a few Duramax forums but I’ll keep everyone posted with the CTD results.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:10 PM

GM eh? Sure, I'll help you there...here is a link to the LBZ and LLY forum (pre-dpf).

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=140

On the first page there are two threads on EGR problems, two threads on bad mileage and two threads on poor mileage. Knock yourself out.

Here is the forum on LMM (DPF added).

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=174

First page you will find exhaust code threads, check engine light threads, Mileage threads...yup just a barrel of laughs over on the GM side. If I were you I would seriously think about that decision. 27 gal tank? I mean seriously...a ford F-150 has a larger tank than that.

Bill
Old 07-24-2007, 05:14 AM

The new Ford 6.4 seem to be in good shape except for MPG issues.
Hardly any problems reported except some soot in the tail pipes.

Ford and International might have got this one right now and it is Cummins turn to have the 6.7 oh oh engine.

Too bad, I was really hoping Cummins would get this right with all the time they had to engineer the thing for 2007.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chrysler didn't start the war, the poor dealer did. I would be willing to bet, once a Service Rep gets involved you will at least feel like something is being done. Maybe try a different dealer.

Quick Reply: Continuing Code Problem