3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cat Full Message After Enabling High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cat Full Message After Enabling High Idle

Hello again, guys. I got my first "Cat Full 80%" message on the EVIC for the first time since I purchased the vehicle new in May '07. I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence or could it be that since I've been utilizing my newly enabled high idle feature that it's caused the DPF to fill faster.

I've been high-idling the truck off and on for a period of 2-3 hours, running the RPM's at 1200 during high idle. There has been no highway driving during this period, just short spurts of maybe 10-30 MPH before engaging high idle again.

My question: Does the truck actually have to be driven at highway speeds to enable regeneration or can I set the high idle to a higher RPM, such as 1500 to prevent DPF clogging again. I had thought that the high idle feature would help prevent DPF clogging.

Once again, thanks for your assistance.

On edit, I immediately drove the truck at highway speeds for about 1/2 hour and the message went from 80% to 70%, then shut off. I thought it was supposed to keep showing the percentage rate down to zero. At any rate, I guess the clogging is at a manageable level right now. It would have been nice to know just how much percentage had been cleaned but I guess the EVIC is not programmed to let you know that since it stopped after 70%.

Last edited by mr. ed; 12-11-2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Add another paragraph
Old 12-11-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The high idle will help keep from getting those messages in the future. I think it's just a coincidence that it happened after getting your high idle enabled. Mine did that one time before deleting parts and it only went as low as 70% and shut off as well....
Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM

Thanks, Dodgezilla. Should I enable the high idle at more than 1200 RPM to prevent a future occurrence? What RPM would you recommend?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:10 PM

I think 1200 rpms is fine. How much do you actually sit and idle your truck on a regular basis? The only time mine idles is if I am sitting in traffic but then it's really not feasible to use high idle so mine is not even enabled yet....
Old 12-12-2008, 05:31 PM

Thanks again. Just one further question: will he truck go into regeneration during high idle or does this happen only when you're driving at highway speeds. It seems to me that it should regenerate during high idle because the computer doesn't know the truck is sitting still. All it sees is that the RPM's are there. Am I correct in assuming this? Further, if that's the case will idling it higher, say 15-1800 RPM's enable the regeneration process to operate? Appreciate your input....
Old 12-12-2008, 05:52 PM

Hi idle function

is operated through the cruise control correct? I have read that these trucks will not go into regen if running down the road using cruise control, regen only happens if using foot throttle. Not sure whay this would be but I have read it. Makes me wander if the truck will not regen if on hi idle also. If that is the case all hi idle does is help keep temp in filter up. Anyone know if regen only happens on foot throttle?

Been wandering this as I use cruise almost always on interstate. I have hi idle enabled but need to ground wire, now I wander if worth making functional.
Shane
Old 12-12-2008, 06:59 PM

the truck will not regen in high idle. the high idle will actually prevent the soot buildup. so, i'd say it is just a coincidence, and due to any idle time and city driving before the high hidle hook up. if your idleing for extended periods, then you may want to set it a little higher, maybe 1300-1400rpm. also, as you have probably read or been told, if you have all of the emissions stuff still strapped to your rig, then drive it hard. hammer the throttle and let her rip now and then to help clean things out. it also helps to drive it a little higher rpm to keep things clean. if all else fails (likely), rip all that junk (dpf, egr, egr cooler) off the truck and you'll never have to worry about it again!!
Old 12-13-2008, 05:48 PM

Believe me, Mastercaster, hardly a day goes by when I don't think about doing the deletes. I'm biding my time to see how things work out over time with others who have done the deletes. I'm also concerned about legality issues and the possibility of a big fine if I get "caught" with parts missing. Guess I'm just a worry wart. I believe in the premise of what the emissions stuff is supposed to accomplish but if it becomes too problematic in the future I may have no choice because I love the truck otherwise. I may be one of those fortunate ones who have little problems with the setup the way it is but a few years down the line may be a different story. PLUS, we now have to worry about Chrysler going bankrupt and possible loss of warranty coverage and parts availability. Besides, many dealers are going to be closing...alright, enough negative stuff....