3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Both 08 6.7's DOA

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey everyone,

i received my buy back check today. stopped down at my dealer, signed a bunch of paperwork and then received my check. ISG(impartial services group)handled everything very well.

as for the quad cab. it finally was released from the service department
last Friday after a 23 day stint. so far it has been out of service for approximately 40 days. i start the process tomorrow to push Chrysler to
buy this vehicle back as well.

as for the Tundra so far so good. i haven't taken photos yet but i will make it a point to do so this weekend. the truck rides smooth and the seats are great. Toyota does a very good job of masking the appearance of hard plastic. the trucks interior has different textures that look nice but they are all hard to the touch. overall the cab feels larger than the Dodge. this may sound nuts but the truck feels a lot wider. sound system is excellent and there is plenty of storage. i miss the bump blinkers on the Dodge. it is strange that this truck does not have this small feature. the backup camera and f/r sonar are a true plus(i have little kids).i liked the console design of the Dodge better. two levels seems to be more piratical. as for power. i haven't pushed it yet but it is ready to move. not on the freight train level of the 6.7L but as strong as a gasser can be. another feature that i appreciate is the stability control. in winter in the Northeast it should come in handy. definitely a nice truck but not "manly" as the Dodge. but....if it starts when it's supposed to...i could learn to live with it's tamer disposition.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:40 PM

Do they have a California Special Edition called a Girly Truck with a Arnold endorsement?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:26 AM

wow, sorry about all of the problems your having, or you HAD, I thought I was the only person theses kinds of things happend too. This sounds like somthing that would happen to me! My 2002 is looking better and better to keep forever, or as long as I can. I wish our **** government would have just left diesel engines alone. It seems all of these problems be it Ford, Chevy, or Dodge are in some way related to the emissions stuff. It seems these trucks are all chocked up and cant breathe.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:53 PM

Glad to hear it is working out Good for you. Hopefully the QC deal goes right for ya!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by MegaCabinPA
hey everyone,

i received my buy back check today. stopped down at my dealer, signed a bunch of paperwork and then received my check. ISG(impartial services group)handled everything very well.

as for the quad cab. it finally was released from the service department
last Friday after a 23 day stint. so far it has been out of service for approximately 40 days. i start the process tomorrow to push Chrysler to
buy this vehicle back as well.

as for the Tundra so far so good. i haven't taken photos yet but i will make it a point to do so this weekend. the truck rides smooth and the seats are great. Toyota does a very good job of masking the appearance of hard plastic. the trucks interior has different textures that look nice but they are all hard to the touch. overall the cab feels larger than the Dodge. this may sound nuts but the truck feels a lot wider. sound system is excellent and there is plenty of storage. i miss the bump blinkers on the Dodge. it is strange that this truck does not have this small feature. the backup camera and f/r sonar are a true plus(i have little kids).i liked the console design of the Dodge better. two levels seems to be more piratical. as for power. i haven't pushed it yet but it is ready to move. not on the freight train level of the 6.7L but as strong as a gasser can be. another feature that i appreciate is the stability control. in winter in the Northeast it should come in handy. definitely a nice truck but not "manly" as the Dodge. but....if it starts when it's supposed to...i could learn to live with it's tamer disposition.
Glad your heading back to Happy again. You'll have to check back sometime and let us know how the "Toy" boys play on the Toy forums. Heres to better luck with your new wheels.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:18 AM

hey guys another update.

well the QC limped into the dealership on Thursday. truck kept losing power. when you would push on the pedal it would just sit. called our selling dealer and they said take it to Scranton Dodge because they don't currently have a diesel tech. called Scranton Dodge they said not to bring it to them! they said they didn't want to get caught in the middle. from my dealing with the Chrysler rep on my truck i stored his cell phone number in my phone so i called him directly. he said it would be OK to take it to Scranton Dodge that he had made the necessary arrangements. we had a nice conversation. i asked again if we could make some kind of financial arrangement to say goodbye to this truck. said he would call me on Mon or Tues to discuss a buy back. I'm hoping this saga comes to a close this coming week. who would have thought you could have so many problems with new vehicles? just crazy
Old 05-16-2009, 11:23 PM

hi everyone.
hope all is well.

i have a question. are the 2009 Cummins engines running
better than the 08's? did they make any running changes
for better reliability? i also saw photos of the 2010's.
they look great.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:48 AM

Getting the itch again.

I believe most of the changes involve software in the ECM. Dodge has been issuing regular updates for 07-09. Latest flash version was from March, I think. I've been keeping up with the flashes as they come out. Now at 23,000 miles with only 3 days down time in two years.

"Come on in, the waters warm"
Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by MegaCabinPA
hey guys another update.

well the QC limped into the dealership on Thursday. truck kept losing power. when you would push on the pedal it would just sit. called our selling dealer and they said take it to Scranton Dodge because they don't currently have a diesel tech. called Scranton Dodge they said not to bring it to them! they said they didn't want to get caught in the middle. from my dealing with the Chrysler rep on my truck i stored his cell phone number in my phone so i called him directly. he said it would be OK to take it to Scranton Dodge that he had made the necessary arrangements. we had a nice conversation. i asked again if we could make some kind of financial arrangement to say goodbye to this truck. said he would call me on Mon or Tues to discuss a buy back. I'm hoping this saga comes to a close this coming week. who would have thought you could have so many problems with new vehicles? just crazy
WOW What a cluster.... Thinking about buying a 6.7 hmmm not so sure!

Did they buy the QC back? How is the toyota treating ya? Any other updates?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Boondock
WOW What a cluster.... Thinking about buying a 6.7 hmmm not so sure!

Did they buy the QC back? How is the toyota treating ya? Any other updates?
no they didn't purchase the QC back. too many miles on it at the time.
after a ton of work it is running well. the toyota has been 100% dependable.
nice truck but for some reason i miss my Dodge....when it ran
Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 PM

That sucks to hear about all the problems you've had with your former Dodge. I have an 08 2500 4x4 with the 6.7 and havent had any issues. I've never even gotten a regen message on the overhead console. I only drive 6 miles one way to work and most of my driving is around town. I did go on vacation pulling a 20' TT for almost 2K miles and got 13MPG doing it so I'm really happy with my truck. Glad to hear you like the 'yota
Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't read through all the posts, but in my experience trucks built after Nov 08 are pretty much good to go. Even trucks built before that I have seen success with !!!!""IF"" !!!! the TSB's available are followed correctly for testing/replacing what needs to be and a complete cleaning of the intake/exhaust system along with some updated parts.....dependant on what codes are set of course.

Even if your truck is built around the Nov 08 mark I would be sure that the ECM is updated (CCN too on the older ones). Chrysler has given me zero grief on flashing any trucks that need updated.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
cnp

The build date should be on the sticker on your driver side front door panel.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've got an 07 without issues so far but granted, it's only got 11,000 miles on it. I don't know what it'll be like in another 10k but so far I have been happy with it.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:54 AM

What a long drawn out fiasco... I traded my fourth Cummins powered '03 Ram in on a Hemi powered '05 2500HD Ram after Dodge gave up trying to fix the dreaded driveline vibration that was present even with the engine OFF at 70-65mph coasting. It was NOT normal engine vibrations with the engine off... Bad enough to buzz change in the ash tray. Anyhow, I said when I traded, I'd keep posted the outcome of the Hemi powered HD Ram but decided to avoid the flames, I'd stay low and enjoy it's performance. Contrary to the Hemi nay sayers, it has plenty of power towing our 5th wheel. It's just 30% higher rpm and 30% higher fuel consumption. Not a bad deal. In 107k miles, I've replaced a condenser cooling fan motor, thermostat and had the rear end of the AAM 10.5" rebuilt at 97k as the carrier bearings started growling. Other than that, nothing but routine maintenance including one set of spark plugs at 68k miles. No flashes, recalls or issues to worry about. But, like my Harley, the Cummins is addictive. I scratch all the time thinking about a new 6.7L 6spd. I've also peaked in the Tundra. My hat's off to Toyota for an excellent 1/2 ton pickup. The cam issue was resolved early on. Not a problem. Oddly, a Toyota was the only vehicle I've ever lemon lawed. But that was back in '88. Rare I'm sure. If the Tundra was available in 3/4 ton with 5.7L and 6spd auto, I'd be tempted. But the 6.7L calls in my sleep.

Quick Reply: Both 08 6.7's DOA