3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Anyone seriously considering selling the diesel and going back to gas???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
"They" have been wrong so many times that they are NOT worth listening to. Go live your life and forget them.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, we as a nation, drive so much more than pretty much any other nation in the world. I lived in Germany for several years and most of my family over there didn't even have cars. They just don't care as much about driving as we do. I think that just driving less will bring the demand down and hopefully the price too. You can say to go live your life and forget about it but when it costs $125 a week to run this truck versus the $75 that it used to cost it ends up being a lot of money at the end of the year. Some people are loaded and money means nothing to them. Some of us, however, have to commute to work and it's not so easy to shrug it off...
Old 05-13-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering selling my diesel and going back to gas???
Heck, I just bought a bigger truck!.......And it's 90% grocery getter!
Hope the overhead is close, though. Wife drove it up from Denver yesterday and the overhead went from 18.5 mpg when she bought it to 19.6mpg after 200mi of highway mountain driving, stock programming. Loaded the Bullydog and set 'er to 90hp last night, hopefully that helps a bit more.

That said, If you already have a diesel and want or need a fullsize truck, keep it. Even if you only need a 1/2 ton, but already have a diesel, keep it.
Now if you are looking at a NEW truck and only need a 1/2 ton, one would have to seriously consider a Triton or Vortec (still haven't heard any good mileage reports out of Hemis). My 08 F150, 5.4, 4wd, is pulling down consistent 16mpg tanks, driving it like gas is still $1/gal. Got 17 mpg on 1 road trip, 85mph +. Buddy claims to get 19mpg out of his 5.4, back east, flatland, can't do 85mph everywhere, and I believe it.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The overhead mpg read out is not always correct. The other day mine read 21.1 yet the mpg calculated out to 19.79 so it was only off 1.31 mpg this time. FYI, others have reported the overhead being off 3-5 mpg.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
The overhead mpg read out is not always correct. The other day mine read 21.1 yet the mpg calculated out to 19.79 so it was only off 1.31 mpg this time. FYI, others have reported the overhead being off 3-5 mpg.
I don't think that's the norm though....do you? 1-2...probably.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
BTW, I heard yesterday that they are predicting that in a years time gas will be $7.00 a gallon!!! That's gonna make it hard for just about anybody to get around. I think that's going to push us over the edge as a nation......
Maybe so, but there are many other nations around the world that are paying more per gallon of fuel.

Speculation is the main culprit behind the rise in fuel prices. It's a good time to be a speculator right now, as the money probably seems endless in that field. The actual supply/demand ratio is not much different than its been for some time, though demand has been on the upswing (talking in terms of percentage points). Supply really can't grow now, maybe never, or at least not on any great scale. There's only so much dino out there.

As for hopes that ANWR gets perforated (drilled), yes, it's in the US, but the oil companies are in it for the money and will sell to the highest bidder. Just because the drilling and production may occur domestically does not mean the end product will follow suit. The problem with the world economy and world trade is that while it looks good on paper, the reality is there are still people putting national interests first rather than world interests. What's the answer? I sure don't know. I do know the pump is unfriendly right now, and will probably become even more unfriendly before it eases up. But not enough to lose the CTD.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:31 PM

Aazzy,

I have read countless post about the overhead being off 3 or more mpg. I read one post where his was off 10 mpg, so you can see the overhead is all over the place when it comes to reporting your mpg.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:02 PM

No I'm keeping my truck. I'm even tempted to trade my truck for a new dually but have so far been able to resist that.

I ride a motorcycle on any day it isn't raining hard. Everyday I commute on the bike is a day I save for driving the truck next winter.

Also, one reason fuel is rising so much is the low value of the dollar. I think todays $1.00 will buy you 0.65 Euro's.

The dollar just doesn't buy as much these days but it will come back. It may take a while but it will.

Meantime, find other ways to get around.

DT.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:26 PM

Elk Hunter,
I also pull a 30’ trailer for camping and I decided to keep the truck and buy a commuter car. We are in a fortunate situation here in SLC since CNG easily available, is .64 a gallon and prices are regulated by the state.
I purchased a 2002 Honda Civic GX NGV that is in excellent shape with 59,000 miles on it for 12,000. With the 2,500 tax credit it drops the price down to 9,500. It was built at the factory as a NGV. It’s an ex fleet car with a/c, front and side airbags, cruise, power everything…it’s a nice commuter car. The performance and mileage is the same as a gasoline Civic. The best thing is it cost me one month’s worth of diesel fuel to drive the Honda all year!
I’m keeping the truck for the camping trips. The CNG guys at Sno-Motion in SLC told me that a CNG fumigation system for our diesels should be available in a year that will allow us to run 80% CNG to 20% diesel. There is already a kit for the Duramax at www.delucafuelproducts.com that can extend the diesel use to as much as 50 mpg! I think that’s worth waiting for to keep the Cummins.

Here's the math FWIW to support the commuter car as I figured it:
With the engine work I've done on the truck, the big tires and the lead foot I have I was getting about 17 mpg in the truck. With 430 miles between fill ups / 17 mpg = 25 gallons. 25 x 4.50 = 112.00 per fill up.
I was filling my truck up about two and a half times per month. That works out to 280.00 a month. 280.00 x 12 months = 3,360.00 a year.
The miles at each fill up in the truck were 430+430+215=1,075 miles per month.
For the Honda 1,075 / 32 (mpg) = 33.6 gallons per month. 33.6 x .638 = 21.40 a month for gas for the Honda. 21.40 x 12 months = 256.80 a year for gas for the Honda.
Yearly savings driving the Honda over the truck are 3,360.00 - 256.80 = 3,103.20
Monthly savings driving the Honda over the truck are 280.00 - 21.40 = 258.60
I’m in a position the pay the car off a lot sooner, but trying to justify the cost, I looked at the Payoff being 9500.00 / 258.60 per month = 36.7 months. About 3 years
If you factor in insurance which is 41.00 a month it works out to 9500 / (258.60 - 41.00) = 43.6 months or just under 3 years 8 months.
This is all assuming diesel prices don't go up in the next 3 years. If so it will pay for itself quicker!

Anyway, the Honda is not for everyone. I can go about 170 miles between fill ups at a cost of 3.35, but there are 8 or 9 CNG stations in the SLC area with more opening to the public this year. I think there are 21 public stations statewide. For me, it’s just a city commuter car and I have to fill up twice a week. Not a big deal. If you need more range you could always look at one of the fleet Cavalier Gasoline/CNG fleet cars. Check KSL.com classifieds.
Good luck whatever you decide,
Dave
Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 PM

I've gone from commuting/bombing around in my CTD and spending $140 per week on fuel to commuting on my dual sport. Now I spend $14 per week to commute and bomb around. Weekend trips in the truck still add up though, at $140 per tank. Last weekend was $250 in fuel alone...

An answer to your question:

No, I would never get rid of my diesel to get a gas truck!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, I would never sell mine...just can't see it! The combination of better mpg, the power and ease of upgrades and maintenance, combined into a safe, big vehicle, how do you beat that? This truck is everything I wanted in a vehicle. When I was a young kid, during the first gas crisis in 1972, I had a 69 Mustang Mach I with a 428 CJ engine! I traded it in, in the name of "better gas mileage" for a small-block Dodge Charger...I have regretted that decision ever since! I won't do that again!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
BTW, I heard yesterday that they are predicting that in a years time gas will be $7.00 a gallon!!! That's gonna make it hard for just about anybody to get around. I think that's going to push us over the edge as a nation......

i think i need to sell all the stuff i dont use, and invest in oil and gold....... man if i could go back in time just one year.................. i could own part of mopar, and make a better interior............
Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 PM

With the price of both diesel and gas, it really dosn't matter what you drive. Its uneconomical to drive either.

For me I can't make money working out of a Honda, so I'll be keeping my trucks, all 5 of them!

I drive my diesel only to make money. So far this week it has worked enough to make my truck payment twice, so its worth the cost to me.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by bigblock2stroke
I think people are jumping to conclusions and starting rumors a little there with the $7/gallon (think chicken little and the sky is falling). I bet gas catches diesel at about the $4.50 mark and gas continues to the $5 mark and stays there for the next couple years.
Diesel hit $4.75/gallon here in the L.A. basin today. Regular unleaded is still around $3.80/gallon. So much for that theory.

I do think that speculation has inflated the price of crude to an unsustainable level, in the medium term. I hope the speculators take it in the shorts when it goes the other way.

Long term, we must have a comprehensive energy policy that promotes energy independence. Lots of things to do, but amongst others, more sources of domestic oil (ANWAR, coastal drilling), electrical auto's (coming very soon), and more inputs to the electrical grid to run these electric auto's. These could be a combination of renewable sources (wind, solar, tidal etc) and nuclear. You get there from market forces caused by high oil prices, and government incentives to promote the agenda.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by T210DRVR
Diesel hit $4.75/gallon here in the L.A. basin today. Regular unleaded is still around $3.80/gallon. So much for that theory.

I do think that speculation has inflated the price of crude to an unsustainable level, in the medium term. I hope the speculators take it in the shorts when it goes the other way.

Long term, we must have a comprehensive energy policy that promotes energy independence. Lots of things to do, but amongst others, more sources of domestic oil (ANWAR, coastal drilling), electrical auto's (coming very soon), and more inputs to the electrical grid to run these electric auto's. These could be a combination of renewable sources (wind, solar, tidal etc) and nuclear. You get there from market forces caused by high oil prices, and government incentives to promote the agenda.

I'm not saying it will not fluctuate either way .50 short term. But when the crude oil bubble bursts (and it will). The cost will come down or stay around $4.50/$5 for awhile.

The speculation of crude oil price is creating a false sense of low supply, when everyone realizes that is not actually the case, the bubble will burst. Just like the internet and housing "bubbles".

Quick Reply: Anyone seriously considering selling the diesel and going back to gas???