3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Any auto tranny issues??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any auto tranny issues??

I have an 07.5 2500, just passed 80,000 miles. I serviced the tranny at 77k. A couple weeks ago, I put the tranny in drive and the darn thing started to move on its own for about 3-4 seconds, kinda like hitting the throttle and brake at the same time. Its done this a dozen times in the last two weeks, foward and reverse. Felt like the converter was locking up at idle. Anyone else have this problem? I had the truck checked for codes, nothing. Fluid level was a half inch below the hot mark(the tranny was at normal op temps), took a quart to get it to the hot mark. I put 1700 miles pulling 7000 lbs right after servicing the tranny, worked great then. Haven't really seen anyone with tranny issues on these newer trucks.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds pretty normal for an auto to me.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:20 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by dougdangerak
I have an 07.5 2500, just passed 80,000 miles. I serviced the tranny at 77k. A couple weeks ago, I put the tranny in drive and the darn thing started to move on its own for about 3-4 seconds, kinda like hitting the throttle and brake at the same time. Its done this a dozen times in the last two weeks, foward and reverse. Felt like the converter was locking up at idle. Anyone else have this problem? I had the truck checked for codes, nothing. Fluid level was a half inch below the hot mark(the tranny was at normal op temps), took a quart to get it to the hot mark. I put 1700 miles pulling 7000 lbs right after servicing the tranny, worked great then. Haven't really seen anyone with tranny issues on these newer trucks.
Yes, I have seen the problem once, exactly as you describe. Sitting in gear, the stall speed is so low that it's lowering the idle of the truck. As a result, the ECM is adding fuel, just trying to keep the idle up to where it should be, and you're on the brake with both feet, trying to keep it from taking off.

That one went away for warranty, so I never got to see if it was in internal converter fault, or perhaps a lockup solenoid problem.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
Yes, I have seen the problem once, exactly as you describe. Sitting in gear, the stall speed is so low that it's lowering the idle of the truck. As a result, the ECM is adding fuel, just trying to keep the idle up to where it should be, and you're on the brake with both feet, trying to keep it from taking off.

That one went away for warranty, so I never got to see if it was in internal converter fault, or perhaps a lockup solenoid problem.
Thanks, you described it perfectly. As much as I hate taking my truck to the shop, I better do it. It still does this about once a week, wierd. And, I just order the H&S xrt pro w/the overdrive, dpf/egr delete, and throttle valve delete,so I better get it in the shop before I intall this stuff. Anyone else have the tranny issue I'm having??
Old 06-17-2011, 08:16 PM

I've noticed behaviour like this when I start up and back out of the garage right away. I find that if I let the truck run for a bit, then it won't do it. Maybe let it idle for 30 secs or so, that is if it is doing this to you right after you start and drop into drive.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 PM

I have had that same problem, but it is never the same time. It seems to happen when it is colder out. I have almost hit a couple cars backing up, had to throw the **** thing out of reverse because the brakes would not stop it. I am curious as to what it is.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 AM

I talked to a mechanic friend yesterday, and he found some info on napafix.com?? I believe that was the sight he suscribes to and he had some info on there that sounded like the issue I am having. I'll find out more this week. It seems I have this issue more when the truck is cold and going into forward and reverse. I need to get this fixed so I can do the deletes, parts are in the garage.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Torque converter? Solenoids?

2006 SLT, 5.9, 4X4, Big Horn, Automatic (Stock). I am the original owner and this truck only has 53,400 miles (Sad but true!) Factory 5yr/100,000 drivetrain warranty was up in May...two months. I apologize for being wordy up front, just very frustrated!

This sounds like it could be my issue. Last Friday I came off of the freeway and got to a red light, in Phoenix (at 110 degrees) and it felt as if the tranny did not want to disengage until I shifted into nuetral. Prior to shifting to nuetral it started vibrating worse and worse, though the rpm's did not go up. It kept doing this and I took it to an Aamco dealer near by. It acted up for them and they said it was the torque converter as well the governor solenoid was registeering 5 at an idle, instead of 0? (no automatic tranny experience on my part, but I am not illiterate when it comes to mechanics). After I left Aamco it has not acted up again.

I took it to the local dealer and they felt they could get Chrysler to take care of it or most of it because of the very low miles and 62 months. They had it all day Monday and Tuesday and could not get it to act up one bit (they drove it 15 miles total) and also said that there were no codes on it. I had the tranny service by them at right around 40k. I am currently driving the truck but do not get a good feeling of trust to go too far or hook up our 33' 5th wheel. SUGGESTIONS???
Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a sticky solenoid.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the response. So is there any suggested course of action? I would surely love Dodge to own the problem and attempt any warranty help that I can get from them.