3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Would this be too loud of an exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would this be too loud of an exhaust?

No cat (off road of course ), 30 inch straight through muffler, and a resonator of some short... And a moderate tip of course .

Also will be doing an intake on it if that matters.

How much louder than stock will this be.. I feel like an old man but I don't want it to sound too loud, but louder than stock for sure! I want to hear this puppy.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my kitty gutted with a 4" pipe welded trough the middle and reinstalled, put in a muffler delete pipe, and left the factory resonator in place. It idles only slightly louder than stock, and still bearable when you pour the coal to her. I like it.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:12 AM

That really isn't going to be too loud. My buddy had a straight thru muffler on his and it was really pretty quiet, moreso than I thought it would be.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Festus
I had my kitty gutted with a 4" pipe welded trough the middle and reinstalled, put in a muffler delete pipe, and left the factory resonator in place. It idles only slightly louder than stock, and still bearable when you pour the coal to her. I like it.
Where did you get that done at? I was thinking about doing it myself, but everytime I get a day off it snows!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redspider
Where did you get that done at? I was thinking about doing it myself, but everytime I get a day off it snows!
Snow, eh? That sucks it snows up there even in april
Old 04-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Festus
Thanks, that was helpful! That's my plan with the cat.

I didn't know we had factory resonators.. I know my 04 1500 hemi did, but didn't know that about these so that saves me some cash!

Anyway, did it resonate any? I do a lot of freeway driving is why I ask. Only exhaust mod I did on my 04 was to remove the factory resonator, I'm not a fan of loud exhaust.. But I really want to hear that 6 cylinder work so I'm doing it on this truck.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by redspider
Alta Custom Exhaust did it for me. I had to pay am arm and a leg, but it was worth it.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Joe T
Thanks, that was helpful! That's my plan with the cat.

I didn't know we had factory resonators.. I know my 04 1500 hemi did, but didn't know that about these so that saves me some cash!

Anyway, did it resonate any? I do a lot of freeway driving is why I ask. Only exhaust mod I did on my 04 was to remove the factory resonator, I'm not a fan of loud exhaust.. But I really want to hear that 6 cylinder work so I'm doing it on this truck.

The plan of putting the 4" pipe through the cat and having the cat rapped around, was for it to act as a second resonator. I think it did as I wanted. Took out the higher pitch, foofoo, sewing machine ricer sound and gave me a deeper rumble. I honestly thought it would be alot louder and more of a concern for me, but it turned out quieter than expected with still a nice tone.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

How did you get the 4 inch piece of pipe throught the kitty? I was figuring on heating up the cat then throwing the piece of 4 inch pipe into the freezer then jamming it through the gutted cat.

I'm guessing it is stock 4 inches.

I want to make it look clean and only weld line or cutting on it I want to look like was done for the muffler install... Which might be kinda hard because they bend the pipe all weird front/rear of the cat.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

No cat (off road of course ), 30 inch straight through muffler, and a resonator of some short... And a moderate tip of course .

Also will be doing an intake on it if that matters.

How much louder than stock will this be.. I feel like an old man but I don't want it to sound too loud, but louder than stock for sure! I want to hear this puppy.
I got rid of my stocker all together...might have been a bit more expensive, but the stock pieces are crimped together pretty good and getting aftermarket parts on the OEM parts seemed like it would have been a pain, epecially for a do it yourselfer like me that doesn't have constant access to the big tools like welders and torches, etc.

This might not be stock with a cat delete and aftermarket straight through muffler (not even sure there IS a straight through aftermarket out there to be had being that the stock system has an offset at the muffler, could be wrong though) but here is a couple sound clips of my Silverline (may end up sounding SORT of familiar to the setup you're talking about).

idling - http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=DSCF1879.flv

wide open - http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=DSCF1880.flv

My favorite thing is that when my foot isn't in the skinny pedal, there's NO drone...at 70mph on the highway, I can't even tell for the most part that I have an aftermarket exhaust. Installed it with a buddy and some beers, took about an hour or so...$595 installed.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:48 PM

How did you get the 4 inch piece of pipe throught the kitty? I was figuring on heating up the cat then throwing the piece of 4 inch pipe into the freezer then jamming it through the gutted cat.

I'm guessing it is stock 4 inches.

I want to make it look clean and only weld line or cutting on it I want to look like was done for the muffler install... Which might be kinda hard because they bend the pipe all weird front/rear of the cat.
They had to trim up a bit on each end of the cat to get the pipe through then weld the cat to the pipe. After it was done, looks like nothing was ever done.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:46 PM

No cat (off road of course ), 30 inch straight through muffler,
2007 Laramie QC 2500 4x4 5.9l CTD auto
Is this possible on the new trucks? I thought everyone was worried about the emission controls on the '07.

Or is it strictly a 6.7l problem?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by bigdav160
Is this possible on the new trucks? I thought everyone was worried about the emission controls on the '07.

Notice that only 5.9L's are listed - no emissions stuff.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigdav160

You know for a few reasons I avoided the 6.7 liters last week when I bought my truck. One is that I can avoid the new emissions stuff.

The trucks built after 12/06 have to comply. My truck has an inspection sticker that was slapped on last october so it complies even though it is an "07" with ugly tail lights and emblems on the door (which I shaved off today).