3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

A-word dual remote bypass system installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mount is solid from the looks, however it's mounted to a very thin/flimsy metal radiator support tab, which is attached to a tin can thin hollow tube. If you flick the tube with your finger it goes TING and reverberates like a tiny gong. Also the filters touch the fender liner no matter which way you turn it. Yes I have the noise without the fender liner installed. It sure makes sense that the vibration/noise from the oil pump's pulses would resonate thru this flimsy tube, and also makes sene why people who have them solidly mounted to the block have no noise... I'm sure I would have no noise if I used Supergewls mount, it's so tempting, but I'm afraid it will break.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LRAmberson
SuperGewl is it possible to give a detailed diagram of the mount that you fabricated with dimensions. This is the exact set up I would like for my rig.. The picture leaves me wanting more info in the set up and material used, please help
I'll get you dimensions on the mount.
As far as what the others have said about angle iron breaking I can't comfirm or deny if it will. Yes it does vibrate some but I have the mine made a little different than others. There is a plate welded between theo two pieces of angle aron and then the AMSOIL mounting plate is bolted to that. I also have the ends of the angle iron resting on the exhaust manifold. I can have them made but I have to check on the price. Mine cast me $100. I don't have any welding capability or know how, so I paid by the hour and for the material. I'll post a price tomorrow for getting them made.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:13 AM

Hey Lightman, for the sake of science, and curiousity; why not drain the oil (in a clean container so you can re-use it) and try something different? There is merit there, and this is the perfect time to do it before you change out the mount.

No matter what happens, the collective knowledge base of Dodge CTD's everywhere will thank you for it.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:09 PM

bulabula - its's not necessary to drain the oil to change filters....

I've tried everything possible using this mounting configuration....installng rubber in the mount, sound dampner, different postions, differen hose routing, etc. There's no possible way for me to use the CPFF mount without the humming. I personally am surprised that he designed a mount that has the filters rubbing against the fender liner. I was so excited when I first got it and installed it, but it went downhilll quickly with the humming.... At this point I'm looking for a solid mount, or my dual bypass system and billet adapter are for sale! If anyone wants to save $50 on the whole setup PM me, I'm so frustrated at this point I'm about ready to abandon the whole idea.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:29 PM

I am currently waiting for the spec's of the upper engine mounting system discribed in the forum earlier. I have taken note of your concern of vibration and the mount cracking. I have looked at the top valve cover area and will customize the mount to be secured in three locations and will advise on the outcome. I am ready to switch to synthetic in the very near future. Don't get too bummed out you have save me some expense so I will try to return the favor by working up a better system for us. Who knows I just might have to make two setups
Old 05-08-2004, 08:41 PM

Got a few more pics of my bypass install in my gallery. Don't know if I lucked out with no humming or vibaration where I installed . I got three other friends that bolted amsoil plate to inner frame rail and they got no problems either. I am curious if problem exists because some are using other components then Amsoil designed or doesn't it matter. Anybody using just Amsoil bracket got humming or vibration? Lightman are you still gonna sell your system? Keep us posted to any new developments.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Lightman
bulabula - its's not necessary to drain the oil to change filters....

I've tried everything possible using this mounting configuration....installng rubber in the mount, sound dampner, different postions, differen hose routing, etc. There's no possible way for me to use the CPFF mount without the humming. I personally am surprised that he designed a mount that has the filters rubbing against the fender liner. I was so excited when I first got it and installed it, but it went downhilll quickly with the humming.... At this point I'm looking for a solid mount, or my dual bypass system and billet adapter are for sale! If anyone wants to save $50 on the whole setup PM me, I'm so frustrated at this point I'm about ready to abandon the whole idea.

.....and give up when you almost have it licked??
Old 05-10-2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by NyukX3
.....and give up when you almost have it licked??
Yeah...I should just change viscosities and the humming would magically go away...

I am annoyed having taken this thing on and off 6 times, and am almost ready to trash the idea totally. I just wish there was a simple and sturdy bolt on mount..

Supergewl, you have been saying for days you'll tell us how much the mounts will be. Come on buddy we're running out of breath!
Old 05-10-2004, 06:38 PM

"Yeah...I should just change viscosities and the humming would magically go away..."

Lightman....I think I know what your problem is....its the Delvac oil! Delvac has a reputation for causing a humming sound (where as Royal Purple has more of a struming sound and Amsoil is more of a base sound). I have heard that some Cummins owners use a mix of oils to get the proper melody or big band sound as they drive down the road!

I personally used Amsoil 5-30 Diesel oil and my humming sound went completely away (hint for the 5th time), but that only worked for me! Maybe its a "Martian" thing......

(caution....there was a note of humor thrown in there somewhere! )
Old 06-15-2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by NyukX3
Lightman....your mount looks plenty sturdy to me!

I guess when I fixed my humming issue by going to Amsoils 5-30 weight diesel oil it was in my imagination?? I don't think so!

You are ***-u-me ing that changing oil weights would not fix your problem because you have not tried it! I know it sounds unorthadox, but it worked for me.

As far as my planet of origin.....my Significant Other thinks I am from Mars...and who am I to argue!

Lets agree to disagree......Good luck with fixing your problem!
NYUK - trust me, you didn't have the same noise/hum. This was definitely caused by the mount, and not oil. The noise was resonating up thru the flimsy piece of metal my mount was attached to.

I am replying to this thread to report that PROBLEM IS SOLVED. After looking closer at supergewl's setup, I decided to give it a try. It has a plate welded between the two sides of angle iron and is stronger than I thought. I'm still going to keep a close eye on it, but it seems solid.

I HAVE NO HUM!!! NO noise from the setup whatsoever.(Amazing, and I didn't even change the oil )No leaks, and the hoses aren't touching anything. There is no noise because the new mount is attached directly to the block.

Thanks supergewl!!
Old 06-15-2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by alltork
Got a few more pics of my bypass install in my gallery. Don't know if I lucked out with no humming or vibaration where I installed . I got three other friends that bolted amsoil plate to inner frame rail and they got no problems either. I am curious if problem exists because some are using other components then Amsoil designed or doesn't it matter. Anybody using just Amsoil bracket got humming or vibration? Lightman are you still gonna sell your system? Keep us posted to any new developments.
Hey alltork, let me know how long your filters last before they get knocked off by road debre
I must admit you've got guts mounting those things down there, I just couldn't see my self climbing under the truck to find one missing
Old 06-17-2004, 07:19 PM
Administrator

I had this same hum on both of my other trucks and had it on this truck before I put the stacks on to drown it out. You can go to the link below and see several pics of how I mounted my dual remote if you like. I too have the Jack remote stainless hoses and the billet adapter. The noise or hum you hear is transmitted through the hoses into the frame or sheet metal by the gerotor oil pump. I cured it on my 95 by installing old shock absorber rubber washers and longer bolts. The noise went away totally.
The adapter you see in the one pic is the old one before I installed the billet adapter. The stainless gaurd was fabbed from a pattern I made up in the local sheet metal shop. THe hoses are still the old AMSOIL fabric and rubber hoses too.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/.../19433/stype/0
Old 06-18-2004, 12:15 AM

Hey SuperGewl now you got me worried.. I thought mounting filters above 50lb stabilizer bar would be enough protection plus filters bottoms are 23 inches off the ground. Call me nuts.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Hey SuperGewl now you got me worried.. I thought mounting filters above 50lb stabilizer bar would be enough protection plus filters bottoms are 23 inches off the ground. Call me nuts.
That's the reason I built the gaurd for my set up.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:11 AM

I would be worried, that's why I said that
I know from expience that when traveling down the road you are going to run over some boards, tire remains, branches, and what ever else is thrown on the road and all of these things you swerve to miss but the manage to hit somewhre under the bottem of the truck. Ido worry about the oil pan but unless it puctures it then I'm ok. Now lets talk about hitting one of those filters and breaking it it off at 65mph
Let's just say NEW ENGINE