3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

A-word dual remote bypass system installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ps, if people knew the answers to the problems i'm having, I wouldn't be having them anymore
Old 04-29-2004, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Lightman
Johhny V, please start a different thread with these questions, as we like to stay on topic. Just a note - my probs are not related to synthetic oil, but an aftermarket filtration system. Do a search on synthetic oil instead of posting actually, there are more posts than you can read..
No problem on that but I would really like to know why this happened to you so I can learn from your experience. I know many people run the system with no problems.

Never heard of this problem until this post so as you can see from my original post my question is "what should I do or use, that is different from you, so when I install my system I do not have this noise?"
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 AM

Well I dont think anyone will recommend you install a bypass system till you have at least 15k miles on the truck for starters. Aside from that, follow along with this thread and see what develops. I have been contacted by several ppl that have had this same problem with the humming and bypass systems. So far 2 of 8 people John has sold the kit to with 3rd gens are having this problem. He said about 1 in 50 2nd genners did. The inconsistency is so frustrating and confusing at this point. I initially assumed it was an installation error on my part, so we painstakingly went over every detail and the thing has been on and off like 4x.

Anyway, the humming has been greatly reduced with my last efforts, although not totally gone. I dont think a passenger would notice it or maybe even hear it if I tried to get them to at this point, but I still can. The problem is I'm not sure if my new straighter/shorter hoses muted the noise(there is definitely a lot less vibration in them), or the dynamat I installed between the mount plate.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:49 PM

I had the same problem that Lightman is having on my last truck (2000 Ford F-350). It drove me nutz!

I changed out the 15-40 Amsoil oil and went with Amsoils 5-30 diesel oil. Much, much quieter!

It wasn't my first choice, but it worked just fine!

Lightman, keep us updated on your fixes!
Old 05-03-2004, 01:04 PM

This is not an oil brand/viscosity related issue, it's a mounting issue that I'm having problems with.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:36 PM

Mounted my bracket to inside of frame rail on passenger side above the stabilizer bar. Hoses are about 19 inches long and have about a 90 degree bend in them. Have slight hum at about 1200rpm when first installed I then removed 1 of the 4 bolts holding bracket plate to framerail and have no humming no problems since then. Maybe I'm just lucky. Check my gallery for pic.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:23 PM

Lightman...I realize that this is not an "oil brand/viscosity related issue, it's a mounting issue that I'm having problems with".

I was simply stating that I had the same noise issues you are now having and I fixed it by going to a lighter oil....
Old 05-04-2004, 08:27 PM

You clearly weren't having the same issues then, as this is NOT an oil related issue or something that can be solved by switching oil viscosities...
Old 05-06-2004, 10:29 PM

alltork

alltork

Do you think you can get us some close ups of that mount and a little bit more information? That looks like a good location. Thx
Old 05-06-2004, 11:39 PM

I will post picture in my gallery on friday night . I don't know how to put it in forum, I tried to post pictures in forums before and pictures had to much space , maybe someone could PM me with info to do it. Otherwise I will put some pics of installed bypass system in my gallery.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:12 PM

SuperGewl is it possible to give a detailed diagram of the mount that you fabricated with dimensions. This is the exact set up I would like for my rig.. The picture leaves me wanting more info in the set up and material used, please help
Old 05-07-2004, 12:15 PM

I would love to use supergewls setup, however I have been cautioned by a few ppl, including CPFF, that the 1" angle iron used in supergewls setup will eventually crack from the weight and vibration, which could be disastrous. It's basically just two straight pieces of angle iron with holes drilled to bolt to the block, and then the top is welded to the amsoil bracket. If there were one more support going to the block or something I think it would be great.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:17 PM

You clearly weren't having the same issues then, as this is NOT an oil related issue or something that can be solved by switching oil viscosities...

HELLO!!! Lightman....reread my post. I stated that I had the same problem (the humming) that you are experiencing and I fixed it by going to a lighter viscosity oil.

Don't tell me that it "cannot be solved by switching oil viscosities" because I have done it. You are not having a "mounting issue", you are having a "humming issue".

It appears that your bypass filter is mounted just fine...its just making a "humming" sound.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:32 PM

nyuck, not sure what planet you are living on, but in my case the mount is causing the vibration, not the oil viscosity. Do you think 15w40 is wrong for our engines? Lol. How about 5w40? Cummins seems to think they are just fine. Several people have had these humming problems and solved them by mounting to a more solid location. AGAIN, this is NOT an oil viscosity related issue or something that can be solved by changing oil viscosities. Nyuck, your problem was clearly something other than the problem that I'm having. Yes you may have had some hum noise but mine is clearly resulting from the weak mount resonating.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:06 PM

nyuck, not sure what planet you are living on, but in my case the mount is causing the vibration, not the oil viscosity. Do you think 15w40 is wrong for our engines? Lol. How about 5w40? Cummins seems to think they are just fine. Several people have had these humming problems and solved them by mounting to a more solid location. AGAIN, this is NOT an oil viscosity related issue or something that can be solved by changing oil viscosities. Nyuck, your problem was clearly something other than the problem that I'm having. Yes you may have had some hum noise but mine is clearly resulting from the weak mount resonating.

Lightman....your mount looks plenty sturdy to me!

I guess when I fixed my humming issue by going to Amsoils 5-30 weight diesel oil it was in my imagination?? I don't think so!

You are ***-u-me ing that changing oil weights would not fix your problem because you have not tried it! I know it sounds unorthadox, but it worked for me.

As far as my planet of origin.....my Significant Other thinks I am from Mars...and who am I to argue!

Lets agree to disagree......Good luck with fixing your problem!

Quick Reply: A-word dual remote bypass system installed!!