3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Will I regret no limited slip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You gotta be carefull with aftermarket "posi's". Buddy of mine installed a Auborn Pro Series on his vehicle. Everything worked fine untill he decided later on to fill it with Royal Purple. That gave the "posi" hell... Made a bunch of noise and wouldn't spin both tires... He thought it was shot... Then he talked to a mechanic who informed him to change the fluid, that synthetic oils are WAY to slick and won't allow them to function properly.. So back to dyno and it works perfectly..
Old 08-28-2006, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simple answer to your question is :

Yes
Old 08-28-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by subspd
x3
I wouldn't consider one of these trucks without it. That said you can get aftermarket units. An e-lovker would be cool too.
x4.....in normal driving situations, why have all that torque going to one rear wheel instead of two rear wheels ?

Greg
Old 08-28-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X5

AAM limited slip is great, as long as you know how to drive... and shouldn't wear like the clutches in the Dana 80 do

I have noticed though, the AAM wears out the rear tires much faster around the corners...
Old 08-29-2006, 05:40 PM

i just picked up a new 06 with automatic trans and limited slip rear end.
i am noticing a hopping--slipping---similar to chatter bump----not sure how to describe it, when i firsr accelerate from a stand still ? only lasts first couple seconds then is smooth as silk ? any idea's ?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by herb
i just picked up a new 06 with automatic trans and limited slip rear end.
i am noticing a hopping--slipping---similar to chatter bump----not sure how to describe it, when i firsr accelerate from a stand still ? only lasts first couple seconds then is smooth as silk ? any idea's ?
Sounds like a driveshaft angle adjustment is needed. There was a TSB for this on previous models. Mine had the "take-off shudder" from new. Brought it in to the dealer and they shimmed the carrier bearing down about 1"-1.5" and it solved the problem. Problem is, the angle is always changing depending on how much weight you got in it and how much the suspension is compressing.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an open diff, which I prefer for the ice that we get around here. A limited slip works well in mixed traction situations, but on uniformly slick surfaces they seem to often break the rear end loose. Think about it - both tires are on the verge of breaking loose, one starts to slip, so the limited slip dumps more torque to the other tire on the verge of breaking loose, which does break it loose, kicking the rear end around.

I'd much prefer a selectable locker, and would probably be content for one on the front axle (which the fancy 1/2 ton has, and it uses the same size axle up front) for light loads. A limited slip that doesn't engage until you hit the brake would be ok for the rear axle. In any case I don't like 'automatic' stuff that can dump you in a ditch or worse.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:06 PM

If you found the truck you want I would get it and not worry about the anti spin option!! They don't work like a posi or locker anyway. I have had 3 of these trucks (2004.5, 2005, and now a 2006) and none of these rears have ever worked like any posi, limited slip or locker I have had in the past. If the truck is perfectly flat and straight it might work, nail it around a turn and all you got is one wheel peel!! They suck IMO. The GM AAM is much better.
But hey, good luck.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by lt11le
If you found the truck you want I would get it and not worry about the anti spin option!! They don't work like a posi or locker anyway. I have had 3 of these trucks (2004.5, 2005, and now a 2006) and none of these rears have ever worked like any posi, limited slip or locker I have had in the past. If the truck is perfectly flat and straight it might work, nail it around a turn and all you got is one wheel peel!! They suck IMO. The GM AAM is much better.
But hey, good luck.
gotta disagree mine works like a locker in any condition. In both my 03 trucks.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
gotta disagree mine works like a locker in any condition. In both my 03 trucks.
stop at stop sign, make hard right hand turn and floor it. One wheel on every truck i've had. Try it in yours.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by lt11le
stop at stop sign, make hard right hand turn and floor it. One wheel on every truck i've had. Try it in yours.
In that test it should go one. In mud, sand, snow, - spin one - both will kick in. I over state mine as a locker becasue it always locks up two wheels in the the conditions I mentioned above. I know its not a locker. But mine works so well I feel like it is. I know there will be times both wont turn but with where I have had them they always have.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:48 AM

Perhaps ya'll that love your TracRite GT differential will do a test for me. Have someone put a floor jack under the truck and lift the right rear wheel. Put the vehicle in gear and tell me if you can make the truck move. Mine will not.

Even playing with the brake (didn't try the parking brake) the truck just sits there. It will not transfer power to the wheel with traction.

I even took it to the dealer to complain. They raised it on the lift put it in gear and said "Look it's fine both tires are spinning". Then after I touched the toe of my boot to the tire and it came quickly to a stop the shop foreman declared "That ain't right!". Yeah, if it was really a limited slip it would be very difficult (or near impossible) to stop the tire in such a fashion. Anyway, removal of the rear cover and a call to their techline determined it was .......... .........."working as designed"

Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think Dodge spec'd an anti-spin diff from AAM that's designed to move the truck when one wheel is jacked up off of the floor...

... and applying the brake gives the limited slip gears something to "push against"
Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 PM

If you make that right turn and slip that right rear tire you will engage the limited slip. Don't know if some like this or not, I do. It will keep the rear tires wearing close to the same if that makes any difference.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:07 PM

"Working as designed" is-- you have an open diff that we charged you for a posi!!
I took my truck back for it not working also-- they put a whole new carier in it. When they finished they parked it out in the snow on the lot. When I got there to pick it up the truck was stuck in the snow in 2wd.. Foward --backward --stuck.. One wheel in snow one on dry pavement, had to put in 4wd to get it out of 1" of snow. That to me is pretty sad.. I'd take one of my old Dana rears back in a second. Chrysler can keep these AAM's and stick it there own rear!!

Quick Reply: Will I regret no limited slip?