3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Will I regret no limited slip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will I regret no limited slip?

Hi.

I'm about to purchase a 2006 MegaCab 3500 dually 4x4 auto. I found one that has everything I want EXCEPT for a limited slip. Not sure why they wouldn't put a limited slip in ALL 4x4's, but anyhow...........

We occasionally get into less than ideal traction conditions (sand/mud) towing a 24' enclosed trailer (we ride/race motocross) and are contemplating moving to a location where it snows..........otherwise an open diff 2wd would suffice.

Will I regret not getting limited slip? I was thinking if I did, I could always add one of the aftermarket versions. Which brings up another question...........who makes a decent one for these trucks? I don't really want a true locker that is going to chatter all the time around town.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you will miss it.

My 01 had one (so does my 06) but I caught myself always pulling it into 4wheel drive early when ever it was slick because the limited slip would kick in and want to turn the whole truck around on me. so I had to tell my wife to always pull it into 4h if it was even a little slick so she would not have to deal with the Limited slip spinning her off the road.

I looked for a truck without it, but the one I wanted had it so oh-well
Old 08-27-2006, 11:47 AM

anti spin diff is great

I have the anti spin diff in my '06-- it came that way and I did not know what to expect. It's a torque-proportioning type not like the old "posi" ones that relied on friction clutches. I REALLY like it. Have taken my truck uphill across wet grass with OEM tires and no load in the back and not needed to put it in 4WD. That's enough to convince me that this anti-spin unit works. No truck I've ever owned before would do that without spinning, etc.-- and the fact that this unit pulls it off with the huge torque of the CTD impresses me even more. And unlike the old clutch type or pawl-type limited slips, this one with the helical gears should last indefinitely and work just as well after many miles as it does now.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:53 AM

I think it is a mistake to buy a new truck without Limited Slip.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
Agreed.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:08 PM

Personally, on't think it matters. Just search this site for "TracRite". Some think the unit is the best thing since sliced bread, others, like myself, don't think the unit works very well in this application. IMHO, gear type units are meant for the street not for offroad. (I'll make exceptions for some high bias units, which the TracRite is not)

Unfortunately there are currently no aftermarket differentials for the AAM 11.5 inch axle
Old 08-27-2006, 12:51 PM

If that's the only thing missing from your shopping list of items to be on a truck, I'd keep looking around and use the dealer search engine on the Dodge web site. No sense in kicking yourself down the road and wishing you had looked further to find the exact truck you wanted.
I passed 5 local dealers on my way to the dealer that was 90 miles away just because they had the exact truck I wanted.
Keep looking and you will find exactly what you are after.

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Chapter President

Having driven off road in about any kind of enviroment possible (sand, mud, rock, snow), I would not have a vehicle without a limited slip or a locker in the rear. Every vehicle I own has some sort of locking differential in the rear. It is up to you as to whether or not you think you need this. Just remember this is going to be two tires spinning when in 4 wheel drive if you choose to go without the anti-spin and you will have 3 tires spinning if you choose the anti-spin. This could be the difference between going home or calling a tow truck. I pulled a Ford 8000 Tractor up a grass hill that was about 40 degrees and pull started it half way up the hill with my dodge. If I had not had the anti spin and nittos, I would not have even moved it. The first thing I checked when I found my truck was that it was a 6 speed, the 2nd thing I checked was that it had an anti-spin diff.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
My last truck (Ford) had limited slip, and I didn't like it. Starting out on a slick road that's crowned or on a side hill, when both rear wheels started to spin the rear of the truck would always slide sideways.

My current truck doesn't have limited slip, and in the same situation it will spin one wheel, but not try to turn it's self sideways in the road.... and then I just pop it into 4x4.

Anyhow, I guess it's a personal preference.

Apparently the limited slip system in the AAM's doesn't immediately spin the 2nd rear wheel at low speeds, so I might reconsider on the next truck and get the limited slip option...
Old 08-27-2006, 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=stezlaki]Hi.

I'm about to purchase a 2006 MegaCab 3500 dually 4x4 auto. I found one that has everything I want EXCEPT for a limited slip. Not sure why they wouldn't put a limited slip in ALL 4x4's, but anyhow...........

We occasionally get into less than ideal traction conditions (sand/mud) towing a 24' enclosed trailer (we ride/race motocross) and are contemplating moving to a location where it snows..........otherwise an open diff 2wd would suffice.

Will I regret not getting limited slip? I was thinking if I did, I could always add one of the aftermarket versions. Which brings up another question...........who makes a decent one for these trucks? I don't really want a true locker that is going to chatter all the time around town.

Its kind of hard to keep track of all the threads that are interesting to me. This axle thing is really a hot topic right now. Over in performance we have been talking about this for several days. I think it would be smart to get the locking(limited slip) rear. I just posted a reply referring to the name of what rear was under my truck in another thread. I like to call it a locking rear because it always locks the two up in whatever condition I am in, once I spin, or when I lay the fuel down. Someone corrected me and said its limited slip. Whatever it's called, I like mine, and I think you would also.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:12 AM

Does it make a difference that he wants a dually? I heard it is a real bear keeping duallies from sliding off slippery roads and you need them in 4wd at any hint. Limited slip may just agravate the problem.... just asking, not an expert here. There was a discussion months ago about techiques to stay out of trouble and how different driving an unloaded dually is in less than ideal conditions.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
DITTO! Why have a 4WD if in reality you have 2WD(One tire up front and one tire in back) working for ya.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:01 AM

I'd keep looking!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:28 AM

How much are you really going to use your 4x4? I can say with all certainly that my 4x4 gets used everyday and the anti-spin is a must for me on my ranch. If you are only going to use it a few times a year I wouldn't worry about it and go about your business. Just my thoughts on it.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Agreed.
x3
I wouldn't consider one of these trucks without it. That said you can get aftermarket units. An e-lovker would be cool too.

Quick Reply: Will I regret no limited slip?