3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Wicks fuel filters, How do they compare

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all depens on what filter you are referring to. There is only one Wix filter that I have seen that is better than the OEM filter. And if I recall correctly, that OEM is being replaced. Every Baldwin filter for the 3rd Gen is better than the OE filters. The exception is the Tranny filter. It seems that every company is just selling a OE tranny filter in their box. So it is the same filter. But the rest are better. However there are even better options out there for certain filters.

You should go ask that guy at the dealer to show you written proof that you are required to run thier filters other wise your warranty is voided. He won't be able to because it is not true. There is a set of requirement that have to be met but thats it. I recall readig soewhere that if a manufacture requires you to run on;ly thier filters, that they must pay for the filter, but I can not say if that is true or not. I do remember reading it some place though.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by banyon
I was not told that I had to run dodge filters until I had a problem. I always have tried to run the best filters in all my trucks. If I felt that wix wasn`t a good filter why would I run them? Sure its easier to get one than drive 60 miles to a dealer or order them online but I felt they were as good or better than a factory filter. Some on here have said that wix is better than oem but still not good enough. So dodge is telling me that I should run their filter even though it`s not as good as wix to keep my warranty? My dealer told me any filter other than theirs would void dodge warrranty. This include baldwin. Now that I`ve been told that there is a better filter from baldwin I`ll run it but if nobodys filter but the dealers is good enough why wasn`t I told?
The WIX oil filter is better than the OEM oil filter. The WIX fuel filter should be avoided.

You have to know what you're buying guys. Do your homework. Call the manufacturer and ask the questions. We have some really knowledgeable guys on here that have read the specs, cross checked the requirements and know what passes mustard.

Just because you ran brand X for 80,000 miles doesn't mean anything.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dodge cannot require you to run Dodge filters.. If that were the case they legally would have to provide them to you free of charge... What they can do is require your filtration to meet a specific spec. This is very understandable.. What is not understandable is why a popular and common company like Wix would knowingly make a filter that doesn't meet OE spec.

Donaldson has only recently made a 7um filter for the HPCR. When I called them 2 years ago to ask why they didn't meet specs, they claimed they were unaware. The Engineer I talked with kept me up to date on the production of a 7um filter, and they rectified the issue. Wix has told several people here and on other sites "Its good enough".. And when Wix is asked why they use nominal ratings vs absolute ratings they say "Do you know how small a micron is, 50% efficiency at that small is good enough"

Its no different than the FASS 95 series filters being worse overall than stock, and the FASS 150 and AD f/w separation being worse than stock.. specs are specs... "We haven't had an issue yet" Isn't what I want to hear.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My point is this. What about the guy who just buys a truck & takes it to a local shop to change oil & filters? My dealer is saying his warranty is no good because the shop put in a non oem filter even it was a baldwin. Yes I will run the baldwin now that I`m aware of it but lots of people aren`t aware that they are voiding their warranty. The dealer should tell them this when they buy the truck. All the ones saying they can`t do that must have a better dealer than I do because mine does whatever it wants.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by banyon
My point is this. What about the guy who just buys a truck & takes it to a local shop to change oil & filters? My dealer is saying his warranty is no good because the shop put in a non oem filter even it was a baldwin. Yes I will run the baldwin now that I`m aware of it but lots of people aren`t aware that they are voiding their warranty. The dealer should tell them this when they buy the truck. All the ones saying they can`t do that must have a better dealer than I do because mine does whatever it wants.
A dealer can try to void your warranty. You either accept that or challenge it.

It is a federal law that you can use non-oem parts. The Magnusson -Moss act or something. It has been posted here. Look it up. You should know it to protect yourself.

The wolves are preying on the sheep... That's all it is. The dealer is taking advantage of the ignorant and stealing money from them. Happens all the time. What they are doing is illegal. Call them on it. Or roll over and cough up the money like so many others do.