3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Wicks fuel filters, How do they compare

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by belliott
if you were to call WIX they should have to cover the repairs if the dealership can prove that there filter was the cause of the problem.
The operative word there is SHOULD.

Yes they should. But getting them to do what they SHOULD do could be a real legal battle.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only way i know that a manufactor could deny a warranty claim is if they have not released there patent on the filter. once a manufacter releases the patent, then all non oe filters must manufactured to the same specs as the original. International, Caterpillar and Mack are real particular about what types of filters you use on there motors and even they do not manufactor there own filters, Champ Labs and Baldwin make there filters. So, if you were to call WIX and tell them what happened, the legal problem would probably be between WIX and the dealer who voided your warrenty
Old 03-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by belliott
the only way i know that a manufactor could deny a warranty claim is if they have not released there patent on the filter. once a manufacter releases the patent, then all non oe filters must manufactured to the same specs as the original. International, Caterpillar and Mack are real particular about what types of filters you use on there motors and even they do not manufactor there own filters, Champ Labs and Baldwin make there filters. So, if you were to call WIX and tell them what happened, the legal problem would probably be between WIX and the dealer who voided your warrenty
Well yeah, WIX should fix your motor because they gave you a filter and said it was acceptable.

That said, you should not just go buy a filter if you KNOW it doesn't meet specs. And we have let everyone know WIX doesn't meet specs.

If you go buy a filter from Joe's Filter Company and Haircutting Shop, and Joe is packing old cigarettes into used Fram skins and selling them, I don't think the dealer would need to chase after Joe for selling faulty filters. They have a spec you have to meet. It is up to the consumer to be sure he is using a product that works if he isn't using the OEM product.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:04 PM

It was my air filter. The turbo started whistling so I took it to my dealer. A tiny chip was broken off the intake wheel in the turbo. I guess it threw it out of balance. The dealer said that it was denied because I abused my truck by running a wix air filter. My filter looked like it was new. I told my parts store about it & they called wix. Wix rep said they can`t do that but never offered to help. I took the turbo to my cummins dealer & the tecks & parts men said it probably had a air bubble in in when it was cast. Bottom line, I bought a $1300 turbo myself. As far as what the dealer can or can`t do, or what wix will or won`t do, they can & will do anything they want unless you have the time & $ to fight them.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:37 PM

I have never heard nor seen any specific requirments for air filters. You need to look at legal actions. It might be a little too late to prove anything now if you don't have picts or the filter or anything any more, but that's total bull.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
I have never heard nor seen any specific requirments for air filters. You need to look at legal actions. It might be a little too late to prove anything now if you don't have picts or the filter or anything any more, but that's total bull.
Oh I'm sure there are specs for air filters. And I think WIX is making good air filters, hope so anyway because I just bought two of them...

Did you call Dodge? Did you call an attorney? You can get a free 30 minute session with an attorney usually, and they will know if this is BS.

Did the dealer show you that WIX doesn't meet specs? If they are denying a claim, I'd make them explain why. In writing.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
Oh I'm sure there are specs for air filters. And I think WIX is making good air filters, hope so anyway because I just bought two of them...

Did you call Dodge? Did you call an attorney? You can get a free 30 minute session with an attorney usually, and they will know if this is BS.

Did the dealer show you that WIX doesn't meet specs? If they are denying a claim, I'd make them explain why. In writing.
Why go through a big hassle installing a product that is not on the approved list. When for the same money you can install approved products and avoid the hassle. Seems like" majoring in minors" to me. I'am thinking there maybe bigger fish to fry.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tlloyd
Why go through a big hassle installing a product that is not on the approved list. When for the same money you can install approved products and avoid the hassle. Seems like" majoring in minors" to me. I'am thinking there maybe bigger fish to fry.
2 things.. one that list is OLD, 2nd gen era.. and 2 there are filters available that are much better quality than anything on that list..
Old 03-12-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
2 things.. one that list is OLD, 2nd gen era.. and 2 there are filters available that are much better quality than anything on that list..

I agree if your truck is out of warr,however I am not knocking Wix. I am just saying if your truck is still under Warr why risk a hassle with the Dealer by using a unapproved filter even though the list is old.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:15 PM

I agree if your truck is out of warr,however I am not knocking Wix. I am just saying if your truck is still under Warr why risk a hassle with the Dealer by using a unapproved filter even though the list is old.
I don't run Wix, but the filters I run aren't on the list either... But I want my motor to last as long as possible, and to stay as clean as possible.. I am not starting that at 100K miles.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
I don't run Wix, but the filters I run aren't on the list either... But I want my motor to last as long as possible, and to stay as clean as possible.. I am not starting that at 100K miles.
I am certainly not attempting to argue with you about filtration. The thread you started on fuel filtration resulted and helped me put additional fuel filtration on my truck and no doubt countless others did the same. I do'nt run Wix filters either.The only point that I am making is that if people knowingly run unapproved filters thats fine they just have to take in the shorts when warr work is turned down.Its their decision to make what filters to run. I am running exactly what you are running per the 300 plus post thread on the subject. Started off with bf1212 and a bf7633 since changed to a bf1212 and a cat 1R-0750 with the pf7977 at the stock location.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:09 AM

I am certainly not attempting to argue with you about filtration. The thread you started on fuel filtration resulted and helped me put additional fuel filtration on my truck and no doubt countless others did the same. I do'nt run Wix filters either.The only point that I am making is that if people knowingly run unapproved filters thats fine they just have to take in the shorts when warr work is turned down.Its their decision to make what filters to run. I am running exactly what you are running per the 300 plus post thread on the subject. Started off with bf1212 and a bf7633 since changed to a bf1212 and a cat 1R-0750 with the pf7977 at the stock location.
Yeah.. but my point is the Chrysler just can't arbitrarily deny work based on a filter. Now bad injector nozzles and a WIX fuel filter, yes that can be denied.. But to just say.. "You run a Amsoil Filter, we can't honor your brake warranty" is ridiculous, but there are places that try to do that.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There are approx.92000 members on this site,not all have 3rd gen trucks.What are the rest of the 3rd gen guys not part of this site running?If this filter issue is such an epidemic how come I never received anything in the mail,making us aware of these filter problems.Im not saying one brand is just as good as the other,but if there are inadaquite filters out there why are these sites my only way of knowing.Oh and I have yet to see anything in writing that stated your warranty is void.I tell you if it happened to me I would want it in writing that my "such n such" brand filter caused this failure.And I would go from there.But,of the people on here who had this happen to them,were is the documentation.I really dont care what some service writer says.All they are is garage secretarys.Before I shelled out $1000's of dollars I would need something from Dodge in my hand,that brand x caused this to happen and therefore it is not covered.I will also say that I will no longer run wix,because of what I read on here,but that is only because I dont need undo headaches if I were to have a problem.I think the filters work just fine,but its not like Im getting them for free,so why temp fate.I would sure like to see some paper work from the guys who had failuers caused by bad filters.Not because I dont beleive them,but if its something some service writer told you,thats not enough.Just saying!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 AM

As far as the non 3rd Gen go, the requirements are not the same for fuel filters. The Common Rail is the one that needs better filtration. When your pushing 24k lbs of pressure those tiny particles and or water reek havok on your injectors.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 PM

I was not told that I had to run dodge filters until I had a problem. I always have tried to run the best filters in all my trucks. If I felt that wix wasn`t a good filter why would I run them? Sure its easier to get one than drive 60 miles to a dealer or order them online but I felt they were as good or better than a factory filter. Some on here have said that wix is better than oem but still not good enough. So dodge is telling me that I should run their filter even though it`s not as good as wix to keep my warranty? My dealer told me any filter other than theirs would void dodge warrranty. This include baldwin. Now that I`ve been told that there is a better filter from baldwin I`ll run it but if nobodys filter but the dealers is good enough why wasn`t I told?

Quick Reply: Wicks fuel filters, How do they compare