3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Why slight loping at idle? Especially with higher BDTD settings

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why slight loping at idle? Especially with higher BDTD settings

Any thoughts on this. I notice some mornings when I go out it's loping slightly. Was wondering if it's a sign of something wrong. If I turn the BDTD down to stock and rev it a bit, it will idle back down and be alot less noticeable, but it's still slightly there. It is getting cold out here though. Once it's on high idle, it stops doing it. I don't remember it doing this last year.

Thoughts?

It is just coming up due on fuel filter. So I'm going to swap that out first.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by gpshemi
Any thoughts on this. I notice some mornings when I go out it's loping slightly. Was wondering if it's a sign of something wrong. If I turn the BDTD down to stock and rev it a bit, it will idle back down and be alot less noticeable, but it's still slightly there. It is getting cold out here though. Once it's on high idle, it stops doing it. I don't remember it doing this last year.

Thoughts?

It is just coming up due on fuel filter. So I'm going to swap that out first.
Mine lopes too.. It only does it when the auto high idle kicks in(around 1k) it does it so bad it feels like im on a washing machine but all i do is press the high idle on (1k-1.5k) and she settles down
Old 11-24-2010, 05:26 PM

Hmm...never did it before. Got a new filter tonight. Hope that makes it go away.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Is it missing on one cylinder? A buddy lost one injector, and it was mainly noticeable at low RPM under load, and at idle.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:00 PM

IDK...not sure how I'd know really. It runs fine and doesn't seem to miss a beat over idle at all. Just at idle and I only seem to notice it when cold while warming up in the morning. After it runs out the drive I never get it again. Doesn't seem like an injector would do that. Then again, I've never lost an injector either...
Old 11-26-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I suppose if it is just a slight lope when cold I wouldn't sweat it.

If it has a miss always in rhythm at idle, it might not be firing on one cylinder, which might not be really noticeable once it is reved up (other than being somewhat down on power).
Old 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It's a common wonderment with the 06's, nobody seems to know why they do it. It is not 3 cylinder warm up like on earlier model years. I have sent video and emails to Cummins asking for their input, they haven't had any answers for me. Mine will do it on a below 32 degree morning and won't do it the next 32 degree morning, no consistent pattern at all. What you're describing is a chug-chug-chug sound, right? Sounds like a train starting from a stop, right?

My only thought is it is something in the Dodge programming, but even Dodge hasn't been able to answer it.

Mine has done it intermittently ever since I purchased it...52k miles and counting.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:20 PM

it is a little like that yes. I can't say it sounds bad...just odd is all. Once it goes into high idle it stops doing it.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:34 PM

mine does the same thing, kinda like it!! never worried about it much cause it smooths out after a bit.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 AM

Well this morning the BDTD was set to performance when I got in it and it wasn't lopping at all. So IDK. I haven't had a chance to change the filter yet. Been busy. I left a light this morning and she smoked too. Haven't seen it do that in a while either. Was cold this morning and she was running good.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have 2003 and same problem, but after I removed the EDGE no problem any more
Old 11-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ECU splitting the main injection event into 2 instead of one. Been scoped and there is no rhyme or reason for why and when. Its in the programming and factors like programmers and injector wear seem to make it more noticeable.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 AM

Interesting. Well the good news is I'm not alone, and it doesn't seem to be a major concern. So...I'll just monitor it I guess.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:24 AM

can you possibly get a video of it?
I think I have the same thing going on.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 AM

Tried to get one this morning (25 degrees) and it wasn't doing it.

Quick Reply: Why slight loping at idle? Especially with higher BDTD settings