3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Where to go if dealer wont enable features?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allright gents, I had the dealer do mine during PDI. They assured me they have it enabled when I picked up my '07. I have the pin from cummins. I saw awhile back some pictures of exactly which plug i have to perform the surgery on, but i can no longer find them doing the search thing. Does anyone have a link the the pics that were posted on this site??
Old 12-28-2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Festus
Allright gents, I had the dealer do mine during PDI. They assured me they have it enabled when I picked up my '07. I have the pin from cummins. I saw awhile back some pictures of exactly which plug i have to perform the surgery on, but i can no longer find them doing the search thing. Does anyone have a link the the pics that were posted on this site??

Ok guys - found it! This is the pic:

Now, where is this plug exactly located? I'm looking under the hood (near the left, rear side of the block(driver's seat point of view) at a couple plugs mounted on a plate hanging from the top of the firewall) and mine are different. Am I looking at the wrong plugs?
Old 12-29-2006, 12:04 AM

The plug is located on the ecm, which is on the lower front of the engine block on the drivers side. Hope this helps
Old 12-29-2006, 04:19 AM

Jeff ---You still need a ground on the ecm pin(22 i think) for it to function.

Not sure what you are talking about, mine functions but I cannot change the high idle set point. When it is cold enough it will increase the rpm to 1000 after it runs for a couple of min. I would like it to be more like 12-1300. Anymore info appreciated. Thanks Tim
Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
arcojet - don't even mess with latham's in Twin Falls. Call Lithia in Twin Falls or even Mountain Home Auto Ranch.. If you need their number's let me know. I bought my truck in Mountain home but have a lot of stuff done in Lithia in TF.. DOn't have the time to drive to Mountain home....

SHane
Luvnacumns, I totaly agree with you about lathams. I'm going to give Lithia in T.F. a call this morning to see what they say, Thanks
Old 12-29-2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by jd4230
Jeff ---You still need a ground on the ecm pin(22 i think) for it to function.

Not sure what you are talking about, mine functions but I cannot change the high idle set point. When it is cold enough it will increase the rpm to 1000 after it runs for a couple of min. I would like it to be more like 12-1300. Anymore info appreciated. Thanks Tim
All of our trucks idle up to 1000 rpm when it gets cold enough, mine does and I don't have the high idle feature enabled. My guess is that your dealer did not actually turn on the high idle feature. If you did the grounding on the ecm pin #22 and the feature was actually turned on then you should be able to adjusts the idle rpm by the cruise controls: truck in neutral, e-brake set, push On/Off button to ON, use the accel/decel to change rpm.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:11 AM

Just curious,

What is the part # of the clutch switch, how much is it and if you or Dodge installs it would it void voiding your warrenty?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Banned

Another option is to find someone with a Bullydog Tripledog and have it enable the high idle. It worked on my 05.. It was an awesome feature. You would just turn on the cruise and hit accel...

Shane
Old 12-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thundercloud
Just curious,

What is the part # of the clutch switch, how much is it and if you or Dodge installs it would it void voiding your warrenty?

DC P/N for the clutch switch kit that includes the ECU pin and wire is 5175417AA.

Arcojet and other ID people, just talked to the tech at Mountain Home Auto Ranch and he knows how to enable the idle up feature on the 06+ manuals. He was unaware of the kit or grounding the ECU connector wire to make this work. He is now aware of what needs to be done.

They want .5 to enable it and possibly more IF the clutch switch needs to be installed. Due to liability reasons he wants to be sure the existing switch for cruise will cancel the high idle and feels the capability may already be there.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:38 PM

I just got off the phone with the service advisor at mountainhome auto ranch and he said they are aware that it can be done but they will NOT enable the high idle on 6 speeds untill they get an ok to do so from DC. Guess I wont throw away that 2 foot dowel yet

Last edited by arcojet; 12-29-2006 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-29-2006, 05:10 PM

Tripple dog and now superchips can enable the high idle without vin locking.

Tell them, u have installed there dodge/cummins switch kit. tell them to enable it, start the truck up, take there foot off the clutch and other service petals. hit cruise on, set, and the high idle. then tell them to touch the brake and make sure it goes off. if it does tell them the "kit" worked. They dont have any idea what the kit does. They need to stop being ****bitters and just turn it on. if they dont want us to have high idle on these trucks why did they leave it in the ecm and why do they make a kit?

The clutch switch kit is avaliable through cummins for like $110. Dodge is quite a bit more.

We need to make a network of people in what areas that have the superchips or the tripple dog and just bypass the dealer. maybe

no_6_oh_no - the clutch WILL NOT cancel the high idle without the kit installed. the current switch that is installed on the clutch does the opposite of what we need it to do.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:34 PM
Banned

no_6_oh_no - the clutch WILL NOT cancel the high idle without the kit installed. the current switch that is installed on the clutch does the opposite of what we need it to do.
Yeah, just figured that out from the schematics.

If Cummins only wants $110 that would be the way to go.

DC wants $309 list for the kit.

DC won't allow the dealerships to do this without the clutch switch for liability reasons. While I don't agree with it, I can see the tech's point for liability reasons.

Idle one of these trucks up to 1500, turn it loose and it would probably drive thru a house! Somebody would be dumb enough to do it and sue.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Yeah, just figured that out from the schematics.

If Cummins only wants $110 that would be the way to go.

DC wants $309 list for the kit.

DC won't allow the dealerships to do this without the clutch switch for liability reasons. While I don't agree with it, I can see the tech's point for liability reasons.

Idle one of these trucks up to 1500, turn it loose and it would probably drive thru a house! Somebody would be dumb enough to do it and sue.

But thats why it turns the fast idle off when the truck starts to roll, so it dont go throught somebodys house. with the clutch switch, there are 3 (three) saftys. thats 2 more than nesssary.

soon, we wont be able to drive our trucks becuse of the "liability"
Old 12-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timmer
But thats why it turns the fast idle off when the truck starts to roll, so it dont go throught somebodys house.
Not sure it WILL shut off when it starts to roll. The cruise on the 06's is supposed to hold down to 15 mph so am wondering if that is the reason for the switch.

Anybody with just the ECU ground pin and not the switch tried it to see if the high idle will hold if you start rolling?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 AM

Don't stress about it. I know my personal experience may differ from yours, but when I have my high idle on my park brake is usually on. That being said, before I take off I disengage the park brake and while doing this my foot is usually on the brake pedel. Touching the brake pedal disengages the high idle.

I have mine hooked up with just the jumper wire. The extra safety switch really isn't needed.

Quick Reply: Where to go if dealer wont enable features?