3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What are the strong and weak points on 3rd gens

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors is what I see alot from me and my friends. Between about 12 of us all with 05's to 06's we have had 3 motors blow up due to injectors. Well 2 were on the same truck. His was replaced under warranty both time but mine is not. Also u joints every 30,000 miles.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 AM

that should be replaced ONCE with after market ujoints with grease zerts. keep em full of grease and they run next to forever.

this is also true for ball joints and tie rod ends. pump them full of grease with a needle zert before they go bad.

totally amazed at how many folks don't know about this. just because dodge left off grease zerts on ball joints, doesn't mean ball joints don't need grease.

ALL heavy load bearing surfaces that move need lubrication!
the factory provided lube has a finite life. when load bearing surfaces goes dry.... metal to metal contact occurs with destruction shortly afterwards.

Originally Posted by Kman9090
Injectors is what I see alot from me and my friends. Between about 12 of us all with 05's to 06's we have had 3 motors blow up due to injectors. Well 2 were on the same truck. His was replaced under warranty both time but mine is not. Also u joints every 30,000 miles.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 AM

I just dont understand why Dodge cant get it right. I work at INTEL and we are graded quaterly on any deficiency in quality, communication and production. We are constantly raising the bar to remain competitive. If we used yesterday technology and did not better the quality we would go out of business.
It is just so wrong to charge a house payment for 5-6 years on a truck that has so many issues under 200k miles. imho we should have no issues under 200k and only small ones to 350k. This is usually not the case. I am planning on getting 300k out of my toyota with a total repair bill of two timing belts, oil and air filters. We need to give the US masses a reason to keep buying american. I quess there no reason to upgrade to a 3rd being they still do not got it right. I sincerely hope for the best.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:22 PM

don't think this is not on purpose. they've improved technology to the point of ball joints/tie rod ends will average 100K+ miles under mild service loads. some get a lot less , but most will get aprox. 100k or way out of warranty period.

if your front end gets ruff service, better pump them full of grease. before they fail, once damage occurs, it's too late.

it's planned obsolescence, pure and simple. auto mfg don't want major items to last forever. but they do want most vehicles to last just pass warranty.

by the way toyota does it too. Mercedes started this tactic, Honda followed, then Toyotal and so on. American mfg were the last to jump on this bandwagon.

these comments comes from 15+ years of auto parts experience.

Originally Posted by SSweeney
I just dont understand why Dodge cant get it right. I work at INTEL and we are graded quaterly on any deficiency in quality, communication and production. We are constantly raising the bar to remain competitive. If we used yesterday technology and did not better the quality we would go out of business.
It is just so wrong to charge a house payment for 5-6 years on a truck that has so many issues under 200k miles. imho we should have no issues under 200k and only small ones to 350k. This is usually not the case. I am planning on getting 300k out of my toyota with a total repair bill of two timing belts, oil and air filters. We need to give the US masses a reason to keep buying american. I quess there no reason to upgrade to a 3rd being they still do not got it right. I sincerely hope for the best.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2500
don't think this is not on purpose. they've improved technology to the point of ball joints/tie rod ends will average 100K+ miles under mild service loads. some get a lot less , but most will get aprox. 100k or way out of warranty period.

if your front end gets ruff service, better pump them full of grease. before they fail, once damage occurs, it's too late.

it's planned obsolescence, pure and simple. auto mfg don't want major items to last forever. but they do want most vehicles to last just pass warranty.

by the way toyota does it too. Mercedes started this tactic, Honda followed, then Toyotal and so on. American mfg were the last to jump on this bandwagon.

these comments comes from 15+ years of auto parts experience.
May be true, but my honda accord and toyota truck in consumer report witness to the facts. I have no issues with either. I am on my 3rd honda since 1984 and all go 200k with little or no issues. I quess maybe I am the only one with bad luck with american cars. Dodge needs to compliment this great engine block by cummins and cummins needs to get fuel delivery fixed. Is it that hard.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:45 PM

was in the import auto parts business for 15+ years. ALL vehicles need maintenance. your honda needs a timing belt every 90k or so, a water pump at same time. your CV joints starts to crap out at aprox. 110k miles or so, the same for your alternator and starters. brake pads wear out, your wheel bearings come due... and so on..

ball joints on honda's have less wear due to less weight. our CTD's ball joints holds up quite a bit more weight. Honda's are no different in needs joints pumped full of grease.

this goes for all vehicles that used to come with grease zerts....

and yes totally agree with your statement of VP44/lift pump failure cycle for CTD.

Originally Posted by SSweeney
May be true, but my honda accord and toyota truck in consumer report witness to the facts. I have no issues with either. I am on my 3rd honda since 1984 and all go 200k with little or no issues. I quess maybe I am the only one with bad luck with american cars. Dodge needs to compliment this great engine block by cummins and cummins needs to get fuel delivery fixed. Is it that hard.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM

Thats always ticked me off, hearing people act like imports require NO maintenance but changing the oil. BS!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:16 PM

I was just driving my toy with 210k and no repairs, no cv joints, no ball joints, no lift pumps and yes a timing belt. I use it to load sand and block for my masonry side jobs. It has been so overworked it looks like a low rider. 130 currently on my 02 honda and it runs perfect without any repairs, water pumps etc. The double wishbone suspension is impecable. Look, I want american vehicles to succeed. I want to buy them. I recommend you buy a consumer report and look at the non biased rating on a dodge and then toyota or honda. Facts are facts. I dont like it either.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 PM

Well I bought a 1992 tojota previa new, And I never took it in for the regular check-ups at the dealer.I just change the oil and filters, and I never change the trans and differential fluids.It now has 274000 miles on it,and still going. Maybe I am just lucky....
Old 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM

there's also loads of CTD's that go 300K+ without any ball joints, waterpumps, alternators, starters, etc.

it's also pretty safe to say there's loads of Honda's, Toyotas and CTD that need Ujoints/CV joints, water pumps, alternators, starters, etc.. at 80k- 125k range.

different people put different loads on their vehicles, they wear differently accordingly.

please don't get me wrong... some vehicle ARE more reliable than others. best example is 12valve cummins.

but wear is wear... your idler bearing on CTD and toyota wears the same. ALL wheel bearings not bathed in oil will eventually need servicing.

you put XXX number of miles on... expect maintenance/replacement of certain parts.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:54 PM

my 98 with 161,000, never had new balljoint(S)
Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 PM

nope not lucky but typical... a former employee, now a toyota parts mgr. He tells me he's never sold overhaul parts for previas. very solid motors, but watch out for the welded U-joints on driveshaft. not serviceable, must replace entire shaft. got-cha...

Originally Posted by retiredchuck
Well I bought a 1992 tojota previa new, And I never took it in for the regular check-ups at the dealer.I just change the oil and filters, and I never change the trans and differential fluids.It now has 274000 miles on it,and still going. Maybe I am just lucky....
Old 08-20-2007, 10:11 PM

Well I am not wanting to escalate more. All have good input. I love my dodge cummins but would love it more if it went a little longer without issues.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by J BODY
...and my bicycle is more reliable than your Toyota....but neither will haul my race rig.
Now that's funny
Old 08-21-2007, 10:50 AM

The problem with that arguement is, your suppose to get what you pay for. One truck is 20k the other is 40k. You better hope Toyota does not make a 3/4 ton diesel. It will be pulling your rig and you probably wont need to ask regularly " how do I fix this or that". Dodge loves your excuses.

Quick Reply: What are the strong and weak points on 3rd gens