3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What kind of aubse can these motors really take?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Maybe you heated it up just enough to re-seat the rings (I actually heard an old timer that used to do that on pupose on gassers that had too much blowby)....
Old 09-20-2009, 12:19 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mhuppertz
Maybe you heated it up just enough to re-seat the rings (I actually heard an old timer that used to do that on pupose on gassers that had too much blowby)....
Now it's really gettin' deep.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:28 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dwhite
What kind of abuse can these things take?

Evidently...you cant go 3000 miles over the recommended fuel filter change...then it will plug...bypass around the rubber seal....and your injectors will plug. Then they will want 6700.00 to replace all the components of the fuel system.

Sorry to rant but this is happening to me and I want to let everyone know about it.
If the filter clogs you can't get enough fuel to run. First it will begin to lose some high end power, gradually it gets worse and finally it will barely run. If there is no filter in the canister at all, or if there is a hole in the filter, then the dirt moves on to the next choke point. You might also have algae in the system.

Mileage is not really a good indicator of when to change a fuel filter. It might clog in a minute from a load of bad fuel and it might go 100,000 miles with constantly clean fuel. The change interval is just a number that works on average. I'm afraid I'm pretty lax with mine.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
To DBLR:

If someone puts sand in your fuel tank and it clogs your filter....will you mind paying the 6700.00 bill? Nope your insurance wont pay because the **** dealer said the fuel filter went 3000 miles over scheduled interval.

Quote from state farm"yall are bailing out because of the fuel filter then we are bailing out because of the fuel filter".

This whole thing is a crock of **** and most guys on here know it. Except the ones like you who enjoy other peoples misery.
You have the worst luck ever. How could they tell you went 3,000 miles over on the fuel filter? How could they tell it was by-passing? That dealer is full of it. They should have fixed your truck. You should of had a miss up top if the filter was that bad. 10 PSI of pressure is not enough to push around the one rubber seal on the filter.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have run my truck 8 to 10 hrs straight at 2200 or going down the road pulling a load after letting it idle for 6 to 8 hrs. i change my fuel filter every 10 k or so and the oil about every 10 to 12k put 11.5 quts in cuz 12 will blow out the tube. when the fuel filter gets clogged the truck runs like crap their is no by pass that i have seen, they are blowin smoke up your skirt. as far paying 6700 to rrplace the fuel system is cheap it cost my ins company almost 10k when i picked up some bad fuel from the coast after hurricane ike. these motors can take a lot of abuse, thats why i run em any other wouldnt even last
Old 09-20-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dwhite

going 3k past the change interval shouldn't hurt a dang thing unless you got one or more bad tanks of fuel, then I suspect you'd see performance or fuel mileage drop off.

I agree with many others, the dealer is feeding you a line of BS, woudn't be the first time.

Honestly I wouldn't own one of these truck if one instance of going 3k over the maintenance interval on the FF was proven to wreck the injectors. If it truly was a fuel filter related issue my money would be on bad fuel or multiple tanks of bad fuel.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:35 AM
tcr

THE LESSON LEARNED IS TO GET RID OF THIS TRUCK!!!
If you guys think that being 3000 miles overdue for a fuel filter change should allow the fuel system to be ruined....then you need a reality check. I don't need someone telling me I learned a lesson. At least I tell the dang truth! Yall keep on changing your filters every 3000 miles and good luck.
dwhite, I agree w/ you. If they used (3000 miles over) as an excuse to void a warranty or if this is what caused a fuel system to die, it is one ***** poorly designed fuel system!! I would be resentful as well.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:11 PM

THE LESSON LEARNED IS TO GET RID OF THIS TRUCK!!!
If you guys think that being 3000 miles overdue for a fuel filter change should allow the fuel system to be ruined....then you need a reality check. I don't need someone telling me I learned a lesson. At least I tell the dang truth! Yall keep on changing your filters every 3000 miles and good luck.
I've got an idea! Get rid of your truck so we can get back on topic!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dwhite, you got screwed by your dealer, end of story.

To the OP, you can run it at max rpms all day, don't worry about it. I pull the boat back east every year doing 85mph the whole way, engine's running 2700-2800rpms. Only thing it'll hurt is your wallet for teh extra diesel.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grit Dog
To the OP, you can run it at max rpms all day,
You can but not a good idea and bye-bye warranty.

IIRC, a normal duty cycle for the ISB is 75% of rated rpm continuous, or about 2400 rpm's.

Now that doesn't mean you cannot run at 2500, 2700, or even 2800 for a period of time, you can with little detrimental effect. What it means is the 2400 is safe for continuous operation at rated loads and will not affect warranty or generally cause issues.

Fine print legal stuff as Dodge will go back to Cummins spec for their basis and that will bite when it comes down to operational parameters.Will be the same if your average speed is under 35 mphor idle time is too high.

Cummins rates that as severe duty and Dodge sold you a standard duty engine, warranty NO good.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I didn't read the fine print! Oh well, it didn't really have a warranty anyway when I bought it. Had a Bullydog on it from day 1.
Still don't think it's going to hurt the engine. I've beat many gassers way worse than the Cummins and they still ran over 100k miles without issue.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by HOV
It's not like I wanted to leave the place...
Apparently, these motors can take all kinds of abuse.
I treat my lady cummins with respect. but good to know what they'll put up with!