3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What kind of aubse can these motors really take?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The maintenance on gassers is less now that distributors have been rendered useless, platinum plugs go for 100K and fuel filters dont have to be changed near as often.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solar, the fuel injection pressure differential between a gasser and a common rail diesel is the driving factor on the need for better filtering and more frequent filter changes. Most gassers don't have a servicable fuel filter anymore, they also operate at appx 60 psi (give or take a little). Our common rail operates up 22,000 psi at stock levels so any debris whatsoever takes a very rapid and hard toll on the cp3 and the injectors. D.C. should have done what G.M did, they recalled all common rail set ups and installed a 2 micron filter on their dime, just like Bosch recommended they do. Bosch also recommended this to D.C., however they refused to recall anything and instead superceded to a 7 micron, a bandaid fix.

No there is not a pcv, and yes the newer trucks vent directly to atmosphere. You should have mostly vapor coming from your vent tube, a drop here or there is not a problem, but if you are finding a fair amount of splatter under your truck then try changing what brand of oil you use, as corny as this sounds it will most likely make a difference.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
The maintenance on gassers is less now that distributors have been rendered useless, platinum plugs go for 100K and fuel filters dont have to be changed near as often.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solar, the fuel injection pressure differential between a gasser and a common rail diesel is the driving factor on the need for better filtering and more frequent filter changes. Most gassers don't have a servicable fuel filter anymore, they also operate at appx 60 psi (give or take a little). Our common rail operates up 22,000 psi at stock levels so any debris whatsoever takes a very rapid and hard toll on the cp3 and the injectors. D.C. should have done what G.M did, they recalled all common rail set ups and installed a 2 micron filter on their dime, just like Bosch recommended they do. Bosch also recommended this to D.C., however they refused to recall anything and instead superceded to a 7 micron, a bandaid fix.

No there is not a pcv, and yes the newer trucks vent directly to atmosphere. You should have mostly vapor coming from your vent tube, a drop here or there is not a problem, but if you are finding a fair amount of splatter under your truck then try changing what brand of oil you use, as corny as this sounds it will most likely make a difference.
Thanks for the info. The oil is a synth/dino blend used by the dealer. As long as their oil changes are less than $50 and the truck has less than 100K miles, they have my business.

And on the hyjack, I just got miffed seeing everyone piling on a guy who just got a $7K bill because the he was a little late on changing the fuel filter, when in all reality, it was probably something other than the fuel filter. I'm pretty OCD about my maintenance, but if I extend a maintenance interval for a couple thousand miles, then the truck should be able to live with it.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:39 PM

I'm not convinced a late fuel-filter change caused the problem... if these CTDs were that fragile - they'd be worse than the F**d junk.

Something's not right here.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the mines these engines run WOT @ 3500 rpm 24/7
Old 04-27-2007, 08:06 PM

I'm puttin my waders on it's gettin really deep in here
Old 04-29-2007, 12:28 AM

To DBLR:

If someone puts sand in your fuel tank and it clogs your filter....will you mind paying the 6700.00 bill? Nope your insurance wont pay because the **** dealer said the fuel filter went 3000 miles over scheduled interval.

Quote from state farm"yall are bailing out because of the fuel filter then we are bailing out because of the fuel filter".

This whole thing is a crock of **** and most guys on here know it. Except the ones like you who enjoy other peoples misery.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dwhite,

Well I have never had sand in my tank but I did have sugar in my gas tank one time and my insurance company paid for it to be cleaned up and they paid for it all less my deductible. Like some said that it is possible the fuel filter did not fail and cause all of your problem but you Failed to perform the required maintenance on your truck according to manufactures service schedule that gives any manufacture a legal way out to not pay for repairs under warranty. So you cannot blame all of this on Dodge because you did not due the required preventive maintenance on your fuel system.

Quote: ‘Except the ones like you who enjoy other peoples misery” FYI, No I don’t enjoy other peoples misery even if you think I do.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM

Unlike the rest of you, I strongly disagree. These engines are a light duty application for this diesel engine. In medium duty applications they only rev to 2800rpm usually and in heavy duty marine applications they only rev to 2400rpm. They are designed to run at the legal speed limit plus a factor of safety. That said you will have no problem running them at 2250 all day long. I think someone said it best in that it is designed to run at maximum torque all day and night.....Maximum torque is usually between 1700 and 1900 rpm. Running a truck at maximum HP all day is a sure way to shorten its life...Maximum H.P. is at 2900rpm. Maximum constant throttle is usually 75% of maximum rpm....2225rpm. These trucks rev to 3300rpm stock and 3500 or so if modified C.R. HP usually drops significantly after max. H.P. There have been some unique failures with those that run alot at max rpm....freeze plugs popping. ks
Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 PM
HOV

Max torque is around 2400 RPM. See the dyno charts here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=147944
Old 04-30-2007, 02:56 PM

The Real world dyno results measured at the rear wheels differs a little from the engine dyno due to gear ratios and driveline losses but....From the Cummins website page....
Cummins 610 Turbo Diesel 325 at 2900rpm 610 @ 1600rpm
Every big job needs a big truck with big pulling power. And that's exactly what you get with every Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickup equipped with a Cummins 610 Turbo Diesel. These trucks out-muscle every other pickup on the road with their combination of horsepower, torque, towing and payload.

Every Cummins 610 Turbo Diesel engine delivers a class-leading 610 lb-ft of torque at 1600 rpm, along with an unbeatable 325 horsepower and unsurpassed reliability.
ks
Old 04-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by abc4yew
Unlike the rest of you, I strongly disagree. These engines are a light duty application for this diesel engine. In medium duty applications they only rev to 2800rpm usually and in heavy duty marine applications they only rev to 2400rpm. They are designed to run at the legal speed limit plus a factor of safety. That said you will have no problem running them at 2250 all day long. I think someone said it best in that it is designed to run at maximum torque all day and night.....Maximum torque is usually between 1700 and 1900 rpm. Running a truck at maximum HP all day is a sure way to shorten its life...Maximum H.P. is at 2900rpm. Maximum constant throttle is usually 75% of maximum rpm....2225rpm. These trucks rev to 3300rpm stock and 3500 or so if modified C.R. HP usually drops significantly after max. H.P. There have been some unique failures with those that run alot at max rpm....freeze plugs popping. ks
i didnt say max torque, but rated power. thanks kerry,
and i resemble the freeze plug remark
Old 04-30-2007, 04:31 PM

DZ04, I'm sure I would popped a freeze plug if I hadn't drilled the thermastat early on and had coolant leaks....like between the cylinders .ks
Old 04-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Banned

ouch, but you're quite abit more modded than me.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:46 PM

Id say they can handle a fair amount of abuse, heres my story...
I was 70 or so km out of Kamloops on backroads when my thermostat cooked. By time I got to town the rad had started to melt around the fittings a little, but I had no money to buy a new on so I wrapped a rag around it and headed for home, Smithers, nearly 900 km away. Topped up the rad, checked the oil and I was off. Before 50 km had gone by the smell of antifreeze was killing me so I cut the hoses off the rad with my leatherman and tossed the whole works in the box. I traveled at 90-100 km/h in 4th gear at 2500 rpm+-. Sure the temp came up a few times but I let it power out on hills, shift down to third a few times and not work it hard. I got to Smithers on the same tank of fuel I left with, just like always. Shut the truck off and fearing the worst left it parked looking at my options. I priced out what a head would cost, maybe a whole new motor. All the choices till one day I bought a rad and thermostat and thought Id give it a go. That was a little over 4 months ago and it runs like a top. No mixing of oil/water anywhere, no oil burned, no smoke (Other then lots of black) and really no problems other then that water and steam corroded the battery terminals and now I need a small vise-grip on one side to hold it tight. Im not saying Ill try it again, but it sure did impress me how good it took that lickin
Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 PM

X2 - found out the hard way last year that you don't have to park a CR just 'cause the water pump seal blows and your cooling system is down 14 quarts... wouldn't want to tow like that though!

Quick Reply: What kind of aubse can these motors really take?