3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What kind of aubse can these motors really take?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnold
Check you puke bottle lately?? May be full and dripping out
05s aint got um. The breather is vented back into the crankcase.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey - that's a pretty good piece of writing, HOV!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 PM
HOV

Thanks buddy. If only my novel went as quickly.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:43 PM

What kind of abuse can these things take?

Evidently...you cant go 3000 miles over the recommended fuel filter change...then it will plug...bypass around the rubber seal....and your injectors will plug. Then they will want 6700.00 to replace all the components of the fuel system.

Sorry to rant but this is happening to me and I want to let everyone know about it.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by dwhite
What kind of abuse can these things take?

Evidently...you cant go 3000 miles over the recommended fuel filter change...then it will plug...bypass around the rubber seal....and your injectors will plug. Then they will want 6700.00 to replace all the components of the fuel system.

Sorry to rant but this is happening to me and I want to let everyone know about it.
I guess you learned an important lesson...
Old 04-25-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bnold
Check you puke bottle lately?? May be full and dripping out
Barf Box...... Can anyone confirm or deny for me that there is no PCV on these motors? Is the crankcase allowed to vent to atmosphere. If not than I am sprinkling oil from somewhere.

BTW, these things are just unbelievable at speed. I traveled on the way back from Odessa with the cruise on 72, rpm right at 2300. When I mashed the pedal at this speed, the truck just lept off the pavement and in two heartbeats was around the slower car and hittin' 85. It still amazes me how quick and fast these are considering their size and weight. You guys with boxes and other enhancements are .
Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dwhite- sorry to hear about that- but changing the fuel filter every oil change or even every other oil change is very cheap insurance- there is not that much maintenance on these engines.- oil changes, fuel filter changes, air filter changes,etc. (certainly less maintenance than a gasoline engine) in your case,that is an expensive lesson to learn.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dwhite,

I hate to say this but you just learned a big lessen from the school of hard knocks. I bet you will now change your fuel filter more often then you did in the past. Like others have said there is not that much maintenance that needs to be done to our trucks and it’s not hard to keep up on and they have a lot less and easier maintenance then a gas engine has IMHO.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 PM

I still don't understand how fuel will bypass filter when the filter is plugged. Wouldn't this render the filter useless. I know on all the diesels I have seen working construction, dirty plugged filter = will not run. The way I see it is if it is bypassing then there must be a hole in the filter, and then it is a filter failure.

Have you tried talking to Cummins about this, and seeing what they say? For some reason I think the dealer is BS'ing you.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 PM

I agree with everyone about changing fuel filter a little more often, as it is cheap, quick and easy. However, I have to agree with northernwheeler, that if fuel filter is plugged or stopped up, it should not run. Oil filter yes, but fuel filter would be useless if designed to work like that. I would try to get to the truth of the matter and want to see my old filter. Sorry about your bad luck.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:01 PM

THE LESSON LEARNED IS TO GET RID OF THIS TRUCK!!!
If you guys think that being 3000 miles overdue for a fuel filter change should allow the fuel system to be ruined....then you need a reality check. I don't need someone telling me I learned a lesson. At least I tell the dang truth! Yall keep on changing your filters every 3000 miles and good luck.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a hijack has occured here. I agree with Dwhite. These motors should be a little more forgiving than going south just because a filter change was missed. I also think some in these forums have not driven a gasser in some time. The maintenance on gassers is less now that distributors have been rendered useless, platinum plugs go for 100K and fuel filters dont have to be changed near as often. I change my oil at 6K intervals on my Ram, and go further sometimes because I have 12 quarts of oil for 5.9L. This is as opposed to 3-5k intervals with the 5.9 gasser with 5 quarts and more moving parts. I think someone is giving Mr. White a personal lube job.

Back to the original topic. I would also like to thank all for not answering my question about the crankcase vent. I had my oil changed at the dealer today. Low and behold, the tube sticks out on the drivers side of the block. Sure enough mine was damp and all the dropplets I saw were on the drivers side of the truck underneath. Seems my spirited driving just vented a little more oil than usual.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
This is getting out of hand... Please take it down a notch on the harsh sarcasm!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:35 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by SolarExpress
Barf Box...... Can anyone confirm or deny for me that there is no PCV on these motors? Is the crankcase allowed to vent to atmosphere. If not than I am sprinkling oil from somewhere.
Someone on the site plumbed the vent tube under the truck and out the back. They said it solved the oil glaze caused by the vent tube haze. I would do it, but what's the point!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dwhite,

I can see you being upset/ mad as He ll about having to pay out $6700.00 and I'm sorry it happened to you but You failed to perform the required service on your engine. When you buy a new car or truck they give you an owner’s manual and every one should read it so that they know what the preventive maintenance/service intervals are.

By not doing the required maintenance on time this gives Dodge the right or and easy out to not pay for the repair because you did not change the filter when required. Not only did you not change it on time or close to it but you also went over the change interval by 3,000 miles. I can only guess that Dodge must feel is to many miles (excessive) past service time for them to pay for the repair.

BTW I don’t think it matters what name (Dodge, GMC or Ford) is on the truck they all would have told you the same thing if you went 3,000 miles over the required fuel filter change interval in one of there trucks and it had the same problem. So now we all know that if we do not do or have the required service/ maintenance done to our trucks the manufacture does not have to pay for any thing that brakes or fails do to improper service/maintenance.

Quick Reply: What kind of aubse can these motors really take?