3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What kind of aubse can these motors really take?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of abuse can these motors really take?

I dont think I'm really treating it badly but here goes. I traveled from Houston to Odessa last Monday. Will be making the reverse trip today in a couple of hours. Then the same trip back on Sunday. About a 8-9 hour trip mostly between 65-75 mph. The motor is spinning about 2250-2500 rpm at those speeds for that length of time. My little Dakota runs pretty close to the same rpms at those speeds. But relative to their respective redlines, the CTD is pretty high. Does this motor even care that I am running like that? I ask because during my trip up here I thought I hit an animal. Next town I look under my truck and noticed oil droplets all over the underneath. (no dead bodies BTW or evidence that there ever was one). I figured blowby and tried not to think about it. Is my truck warning me to slow it down? BTW, once you get out here in the middle of nowhere, the speed limit is 75.

I treat my truck good. Oil changes @6k (dino). Fuel filters every other oil change. Diff and 6spd serviced as required or even before. Tires rotated, etc. I am getting close to the 50K mark. Even though I am a couple of thousand miles early, I am going to have the truck serviced when I get home. Will probably switch to synthetic (dealer wants a hundered dollar bill for that vs 40-50 for dino).

Last edited by SolarExpress; 04-24-2007 at 09:51 AM. Reason: cant spell
Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 AM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
These engine designs are tested at 100% torque value 24/7. You won't hurt it.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run it! Can't hurt it a bit! The only thing that will hurt these engine is lack of oil, pressure. I would be REALLY concerned about the oil droplets. There shouldn't be any oil drips from that engine!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
Run it! Can't hurt it a bit! The only thing that will hurt these engine is lack of oil, pressure. I would be REALLY concerned about the oil droplets. There shouldn't be any oil drips from that engine!
From what i understand, there is no PCV on these motors and the crankcase is ventilated to atmosphere via a tube that is running down the side of the motor somewhere. Not knowing it, I've had PCV's stick open on me on another truck I have that led to the search for the mystery oil leak for about a month.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

these engine are rated at continuous hp. which means flog it at 325hp all day. otr trucks run at max weight, max legal speed for the entire life span of the engine and truck.
the ctd is a medium duty diesel in a light duty truck.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 AM

are you sure it's oil and not dried blood from the critter you may have hit? Just a thought.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:26 AM
HOV

What kind of abuse can the motor take?

It's not like I wanted to leave the place, but last call had passed an hour before and they didn't want me there any more. So I drank my last scotch and lurched outside into the rain.

I could barely see ten feet in front of me, it was coming down so hard. But I saw her anyway, waiting for me patiently, soaked from head to toe. She had been waiting for me the whole time.

As I drew close, I thought about how sad her eyes looked. Was that a tear? Or a drop of rain that made its way down in a tiny river?

Bah, what did she have to cry about anyway? I took good care of her. I paid the bills. So what if I had to numb the pain a little? Life was hard. It's not like I could spend every waking moment with her.

"Shut up," I said.

She just stared at me, eyes dark and silent.

"I said, shut up!" I smacked her across the grill. She didn't even flinch.

"You don't tell me where I can or can't go!" I roared. "Who are you to judge me!"

Silence. Not a word from her.

"You got nothing to say?" I shouted. I swung my leg back, and kick as hard as I could. A scream, blinding pain, blackness.

I woke up much later, soaked and tousled as if I had been dumped into a washing machine. My head was pounding. My foot was swollen and painful. One of my shoes was nowhere to be found.

But there she was, still waiting there for me. The purple light of the pre-dawn reflected in her eyes.

I fumbled for the unlock button and pressed it once, twice, there times just to make sure she would open up for me. I climbed inside, holding the grab rail with a shaky hand. Shoved in the key, waited for the pigtail, turned.

She came to life.

All was forgiven.

Apparently, these motors can take all kinds of abuse.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Banned

hhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa hhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa
boy are you creative..... and drunk too obviously.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:04 PM

lol........had to read that twice
Old 04-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by renninjm
are you sure it's oil and not dried blood from the critter you may have hit? Just a thought.
No critter as far as I can tell. I looked all over for an impact point and dried fur. Found neither.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by HOV
It's not like I wanted to leave the place, but last call had passed an hour before and they didn't want me there any more. So I drank my last scotch and lurched outside into the rain......................................

She came to life.

All was forgiven.

Apparently, these motors can take all kinds of abuse.

I guess they are tougher than I thought.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:26 PM

As said, they are designed to run at or near their redline all day. 2200 rpm is nothing
Old 04-24-2007, 02:11 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HOV
It's not like I wanted to leave the place, but last call had passed an hour before and they didn't want me there any more. So I drank my last scotch and lurched outside into the rain.

I could barely see ten feet in front of me, it was coming down so hard. But I saw her anyway, waiting for me patiently, soaked from head to toe. She had been waiting for me the whole time.

As I drew close, I thought about how sad her eyes looked. Was that a tear? Or a drop of rain that made its way down in a tiny river?

Bah, what did she have to cry about anyway? I took good care of her. I paid the bills. So what if I had to numb the pain a little? Life was hard. It's not like I could spend every waking moment with her.

"Shut up," I said...........................and so on...
Is your pen name Mickey Spillane? That sounds just like the start of a Mike Hammer adventure ..... Ya ought to finish it and get it published
Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM

"I could barely see ten feet in front of me, it was coming down so hard. But I saw her anyway, waiting for me patiently, soaked from head to toe. She had been waiting for me the whole time.

As I drew close, I thought about how sad her eyes looked. Was that a tear? Or a drop of rain that made its way down in a tiny river?"

Funny, i slept in the bed of her last friday night. came stumblin out, and took a long rest. she is always there waiting patiently every time.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:34 PM

Check you puke bottle lately?? May be full and dripping out

Quick Reply: What kind of aubse can these motors really take?