3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Well I'm having a couple small problems - advice plz.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'm having a couple small problems - advice plz.

Hey guys! Hoping for some thoughts on a couple issues.

I came home from being out of town Monday night to 17F and a truck with dead batteries. An hr or two of shivering later, with a truck/jumper cables on one side and a booster pack on the other, finally got it started. Apparently something had set off the truck's alarm, and the horn honked all weekend long, eventually draining and killing the batteries. So after driving they're all charged up - but I now have no horn. Could it have 'honked itself out' ? Nothing when I push on the steering wheel or hit the panic button on the remote. Hoping some annoyed employee didn't cut the wire because he/she was sick of hearing the horn all weekend. Where is the horn so I might take a peek? Any other thoughts would be great.

The other problem I'm having is a new one as well. When I'm at the station fueling lately, the pump clicks off, lots of gurgling, and fuel sometimes bubbles/spurts out of the filler neck in the process Any idea what could have caused this to happen over time? Maybe something clogged in the venting? I have a tool/tank combo plumbed in to the filler neck via gravity feed, but that setup has been there for 80k miles with no issues and nothing has changed there. Any thoughts or things to look for/check?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On horn the I suspect you just wore it out but an easy check is to take a wire hook to the battery and touch the other end to the connecter on the horn if it blows the problem is up stream if not change the horn .
My truck has been giving me trouble taking fuel also lately , I figured it was the cold weather in Ohio , I do not really know . I had to go to another pump the other day , the thing kept shutting down .
Old 12-19-2007, 06:00 PM

The horn is tucked up under the fuse box area on the front driver side. It is a pain to get to. Might check to see if there is a fuse on the horn circuit.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:52 AM

Ok guys here's an update. The fuse for the horn (num 45) was blown. I thought I was going to get lucky and just replace the fuse - however once I put the fuse in, about 2 mins later the horn started blowing and stayed on, regardless of me hitting the panic or other remote buttons, or anything I tried. It was REALLY loud standing there with the hood open trying to get that fuse box open as fast as I could as neighbors start peering out their window...hehe... Any thoughts on this horn issue?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:03 AM

Pull your driver's side headlight-if I remember correctly that is where the horn/wiring harness is. Maybe you have a chafed wire/short?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:40 AM

My memory is fuzzy, but I think there's a horn relay somewhere above the drivers side front bumper.... if so, maybe it's stuck closed. I could be thinking of another vehicle though..
Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM

Ok guys here's an update. Just back from a 2 week road trip to florida and back. During the trip I went on a cruise and the truck sat for a week. Upon my return, the batteries were dead again. I haven't had a chance to inspect the horn, so the fuse has been out on that. I'm suspecting whatever originally set off my alarm/horn honking is still draining the batteries, something is going on. When I popped the hood the right side neg battery terminal was covered in white fuzzy corrosion type stuff that seems to have come out of nowhere, the others are all clean. I removed the cable cleaned it all up and hit it with a touch of dielectric grease. Any thoughts or ideas of what to look for?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:21 PM

Just a thought...

How about checking amp draw with truck off. Start pulling fuses one at a time and see if readings change. Might work...
Old 01-11-2008, 02:44 PM

OH did I mention I have no electrical tester or real electrical system skills? LOL..just hoping there was maybe something I could visually inspect short of taking it to the dealer..(eww)
Old 01-11-2008, 03:28 PM

With a name like Lightman, I really thought you were an electrician...

Anyway, if you get a tester, we can probably talk you thru it...
Old 01-12-2008, 03:13 PM

Ok here's a small update - does this help? I started the truck up today and it took 2 or 3 tries to start, which is very odd, and idled totally rough and there ws some bluish white smoke..I changed the fuel filter (previous one was relatively new) and no change. 17.5psi fuel pressure as usual. I checked codes and got 0629, 2509, and 0341. Any help appreciated!!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:15 PM

!st issue is prob. the horn switch contacts in your drivers airbag-even if the horn fuse is blown-the relay will stay energized & run the batt's down.2nd issue-the codes are for high volt at lift pump p0629,power down at ecm p2509,cam signal p0341-2 of these codes can be corrected by having the dealer flash the ecm.The p0629 can be a wiring to & /or lift pump prob-pump on the filter housing?-they are prone to failure
Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Thx for the replies. Any thoughts on the cam pos sensor code 0341? This one worries me a bit..and is probably responsible for the rough running at startup I'm guessing. I somehow doubt the lift pump has gone bad because I was able to fill the housing/prime it after changing the fuel filter yesterday to eliminate that possibility, and have my normal 17.5psi. I could be wrong tho, I'm no expert.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:35 PM

The 0341 is covered in the ecm flash tsb 18-003-04
Old 01-13-2008, 07:36 PM

It seems strange I'd need a flash as I never had any problems for 95k miles until now. I've heard of flashes for the 04.5+ trucks but not the 305/555...news to me. I'm just leery of having any reflashes done cuz I don't want that annoying reverse recall done too.

Quick Reply: Well I'm having a couple small problems - advice plz.