3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

well dodge bought me a motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
by the way, a remanufactured motor "is not" as good as a new engine. mine now has 12k on it since it was replaced and it uses 1 gallon of oil every 1500 miles running bobtail. my original motor used NO oil ever. 30 k on the truck now and I'm always adding oil and wondering where its going. wish I could just get my money back.....
Old 01-20-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it came complete with a harness etc.it was a NEW.Remans are the engine only.No injectors,intake,turbo,wiring etc.Just the motor.A engine with it ALL is usually pulled off the assembly line.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 PM

they had already stopped making the 5.9 and were busy installing the 6.7's when my truck blew up. they only installed 1 new injector in my motor along with 5 used ones from my old motor and ordered the turbo separately. they flat out told me it was a reman.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by supersonictoys
by the way, a remanufactured motor "is not" as good as a new engine. mine now has 12k on it since it was replaced and it uses 1 gallon of oil every 1500 miles running bobtail. my original motor used NO oil ever. pisses me off. 30 k on the truck now and I'm always adding oil and wondering where its going. wish I could just get my money back.....
A reman done correctly is BETTER than new one due to the seasoning of the block and the rest of the parts. You will have less changes with a reman than a new one.

That being said, somebody pooched the reman job. More than likely the rings did not seat correctly and probbaly never will now. When you got it back you should have run the snot out of it with as heavy a load as you could get. Break in was done and it needed to be worked hard.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 AM

I broke this motor in the same way I broke in the original and the original never used a drop of oil. the day I bought this truck new I slid a cab over camper onto it and hooked a 15k bumper pull trailer behind it. it has 30 k miles on it now and probably 27000 of them were with the camper and trailer installed. just recently made a bobtail trip up to idaho to visit some of the wifes relatives and took this truck because its a 4x4 and we were afraid of the deep snow they were having. checked the oil when I left and it was full to the top of the safe area on the stick. after arriving in idaho or 750 miles I was 2 quarts down. I filled it back up and once I arrived home I was 2 quarts down again. I am going to take it back to the dealer next week and let them have a look at it. I guess I will just keep taking it back till they fix it or lemon law it.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 AM

I could be wrong but your 2006 truck is beyond the time limit for the lemon law.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:10 PM

I dont know of a time limit on a vehicle with a warranty. if there is something wrong with it they have to fix it. if they cant what happens? ok, they can install another motor I guess. that will be fine.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 PM

no_6_oh_no, theres that term again. "seasoned block". LOL . in the case of the 5.9 , theye are not a sleeved motor. when a motor is "remanufactured" they mic the bore and run a hone through it and slap in some new pistons and rings and out the door it goes. so if this motor was bad enough to be pulled from someone else's truck for some reason after say 90k miles are you saying the bores are going to be better that a new block or even as good ? what if the core motor over heated badly?? are the cylinders going to be strait and round as a new block that was just machined new? I don't think so. even if its on the extreme edge of its tolerance they aren't going to throw the block away. oil is going somewhere on my truck. either past the rings or through the valve guides. I strongly suspect past the rings.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Banned

no_6_oh_no, theres that term again. "seasoned block". LOL . in the case of the 5.9 , theye are not a sleeved motor. when a motor is "remanufactured" they mic the bore and run a hone through it and slap in some new pistons and rings and out the door it goes. so if this motor was bad enough to be pulled from someone else's truck for some reason after say 90k miles are you saying the bores are going to be better that a new block or even as good ? what if the core motor over heated badly?? are the cylinders going to be strait and round as a new block that was just machined new? I don't think so. even if its on the extreme edge of its tolerance they aren't going to throw the block away. oil is going somewhere on my truck. either past the rings or through the valve guides. I strongly suspect past the rings.
As a block breaks in with heat, cool, and stress cycles it will twist and warp in different ways and this translates to changes in the shape of the cylinder bore. Once that is done the chnages are very small for the rest of its life under normal circumstances. With a parent bore block like the B engine this is more critical.

A reman should check bore roundness and taper and adjust as needed to bring back to specs. The quality of the hone job is what is going to seat the rings and that is the critical part. Even with a bore at the outside of the specs a good hone job and the rings seating correctly will provide a good seal and oil consumption will minimal to non existent.

If you broke it in the way you said and it is actually is using oil then the cylinder prep was pooched. That aside, are you sure it is not a turbo problem that coul be causing the oil consumption?

Not doubting your problems, just sharing my experiences.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM

I dont know of a time limit on a vehicle with a warranty. if there is something wrong with it they have to fix it. if they cant what happens? ok, they can install another motor I guess. that will be fine.
Each state has its own set of laws, my state (PA) gives you 1 year.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Reman is a totally different beast then rebuilt.I've been in big reman plants.As much or more machining and checks go into a Reman then new.Most comments are that the end users say they get better service out of remans then new.I assume that Cummins is doing the remaning but that may not be the case.Also some engines/parts are marked reman when they are not.Has to do with some tax structure.I saw many 318/360 Magnums that were marked remans but were new.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 PM

:quote: A reman should check bore roundness and taper and adjust as needed to bring back to specs. :quote:

how does one go about "adjusting" an out of round tapered cylinder without boring the hole oversize? as we all know , a hone is a fine finishing tool used to polish out super fine scratches and smooth the cylinder wall to a finish suitable for ring break in. a hone is also used after the cylinder is bored to within .001 of the final desired bore size for ideal fitment and proper piston to cylinder wall clearance. how does one go about adjusting an out of round tapered cylinder on a possibly warped, over heated "seasoned " block ?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 PM

Every reman I've ever dealt with was bored even if not needed.Its just done.Realize they don't reman one or two at a time.They wait until they can do a production run of many.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
supersonic, back in the day, many of us would put a short block in the daily driver for a couple of years to "season" it before building it into a race engine.

Trust me, it does make a difference. And every reman engine I have ever seen has been bored the first oversize, needed or not to straighten the bores.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM

I'm curious to who did the remaning.Bet the answer can be found out.

Quick Reply: well dodge bought me a motor