3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

well dodge bought me a motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all boils down to a matter of opinion with regards to adding 2 stroke oil to your fuel. It won't hurt anything to dump 2 stroke in there even Cummins says so (check Triton's message with the service update from Cummins). For some of us with this dry ULSD fuel it seems like a good idea plus it's cheap and easy to do. Lots of people have run for years with no 2 stroke or any additives at all that's fine too. It's like the "when should I change my oil" questions. It doesn't really matter as long as you are within guidleines from Cummins..
Old 11-17-2007, 05:42 PM

I agree with ya dieseljunky "matter of opinion".
My main concern with the original post was with the excessive carbon build up and the concern about the 2stroke as well as the use of the drivetrain.
Perhaps, not being under load the majority of the time (work horse) why use oil in the fuel it won't get hot enough to burn it all could be doing more harm than good, who knows?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:00 PM

Hounddog,
I was told my motor had to be sent back to cummins for inspection.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:25 PM

My son was talking to the fuel delivery driver for one of the 3 major truck stops. I won't say which, but it ticks me off. The driver said they are suppose to drop in an additive package then fill the truck. He said they don't always put in the additives. So, for time being I'm not willing to take the risk with my expensive truck and do use additives. If you use Biodiesel you don't have to worry about it either way.

Pete
(xploretx)
Old 11-17-2007, 07:51 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I got with my tech the other day about my dark time fogging in the headlights. His first question was about the fuel I used. He said I should be glad I don't have as much sulfur anymore. I told him I used two-cycle oil and he smiled. He saw the "slimy" soot in the tailpipe and said to lean the mix a little. The service procedure calls for a sleeve if an over bore is required. If the broken engine had a dropped valve or other pieces floating through, it more than likely got sleeved as a cost measure. It's still no big deal though.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails well dodge bought me a motor-block.gif  
Old 11-17-2007, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well at he time the valve dropped I was towing a 20ft inclosed trailer that was probably about 10,000lbs and had a 2000lb cab over camper on the truck as well. this truck as I said has 18k miles and probably about 17k of it was while towing 10 to 18k lbs. its rare that there isnt a trailer behind it. most of these miles are freeway miles and I rarely run faster than 60 or 65 to save fuel. yes the gauges are for this truck and I ended up with a quadzilla commander and absolutely love it. I showed the unit to my dealer along with the manual and confirmed that it would not void my warranty since it added no power. this commander is a truely slick item and I would recomend to anyone considering gauges that they take a look at these before they buy anything else. this setup actually displays egt, boost, water temp, trans temp, injection pressure, fuel pump pressure , and I can set alarms for any of these with the push of a button. I can also set it to defuel should any of the perameters I enter be exceded. real neat item and well worth the money. did notice my new motor is a different color. its a very dark grey metalic, almost black. oh, did I mention that the diesel tech didnt remove the pieces of metal from the cat? when I had the truck towed in with the blown motor I spoke with the guy who was going to do the install and made sure he planned to drop the exhaust and bang it on the ground to get the pieces of valve out of the cat. later when I was called to come and pick the truck up I asked if the metal had been removed and the service writer walked out to the shop while I waited on hold and spoke with the diesel tech and confirmed that all metal was removed. after returning my rental car and being shuttled to the dealer I layed on the ground under the truck and took a look and all my exhaust u bolts were still lightly rusted with no signs of ever having been removed. at this point I banged on the cat with my hand and could hear what sounded like a hand full of metal crap bouncing around inside. this got me fairly edited by admin and I walked back inside and let the service writer know that someone was full of edited by admin. I took him outside and showed him what I had found and played jingle bells on the cat for him and he went inside and came back with several managers so I showed them the same thing. it was 5:45pm and the service department coses at 6 and the service manager said take the truck back inside now and get everyone in the shop under it and get this fixed now! he then appologized for the inconvenience and then stormed off and ripped the diesel tech a new one which made me chuckle a bit. if you are going to promise someone something you should do it. why do all the work he did on my truck just to half edited by admin it at the end? anyway my truck went right up on the lift and there was about 15 guys under it wrenching. they had the entire exhaust off in about 5 minutes and had the truck back outside in about 15 minutes.

Last edited by t-boe; 11-18-2007 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Profanity using symbols.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:19 PM

Glad you caught em. I hate when they try to get by with stuff like that.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:45 AM

BTW if you ***** long and hard you can get new engine instead of a reman. I did it back in 94 when my CTD with 22,000 miles blew up. Took 2 months to get my truck back but it had a new engine.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:26 AM

Supersonictoys, my apologies I stand corrected, I thought I had read you were seldom under load (eyes are'nt what they used to be) must have combining two different post in my head.
With your loaded weight kinda seams odd dropping a valve, should be burnning it off, maybe lean it out perhaps too much 2 stroke in the mix, imo.
Great call actually getting down and checking for the tin tunes, that is the exact reason I said depends on the guy putting it together on that day.
What brand/weight/type (pet or syn) oil are you running? had you been doing an oil analysis during the 1st two changes? perhaps, there may have been fuel in the oil?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:54 AM

Coming home after rv rally in Goshen In, I stopped at the duty free in Detroit to refuel. There was a guy hauling a trailer { for a living } that put power service in his tank and then something else. Of coarse I was curious and asked what he had just added after the power service. ATF was his answer,1/2 guart per tank. Was told by his diesel mech that he would never have trouble with injectors again. He was driving an 06-2500 CTD.

Bill
Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 AM

ATF has propertys in it(do a search of whats in ATF) for lock up torque convertors,clutch packs etc.that in the days of mech.injection and on big rigs did not hurt.But I would not think of running it in a HPCR engine it is said that scoring/etching the internals of electronic injectors,high psi injection pumps etc.with very small clearances will occur over time.Atf has been discussed on these forums many times in the past with a its VERY OLD school and a big no no in HPCR systems.Theres to many products out there designed to be mixed in the fuel but ATF is not one of them.I am surprised at the amount of carbon also with as much weight as your were toting and pulling.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was running walmart super tech, 1 qt per talk of fuel. I generally wait till Im at about an 1/8 of a tank before I stop to fill and can generally get around 30 gallons in it. it honestly surprised me when I took a look at the head. the carbon was bad. no more 2 stroke for me. but I wont be buying any $100 per gallon stuff either!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:12 AM

Wow.Sounds like a LOT of two stroke oil.I have no clue to the proper amount if any.Think I'd quit using it also.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Blueboy
I had my motor replaced at 1800 miles. Bad oil pump.
The new motor came in on a pallet ready to drop in
wiring and all. I was told it was a brand new motor,
Now I am wondering if it was a reman motor.

I know with GM if it's less than 6 months old they go with an assembly line engine and send the defect, complete with the harness and accessories back to be inspected. They want to figure out how/why it failed.

As for reman vs new, I'd much rather have an engine built by happy non UAW workers. I don't know about Cummins but the gas engines are built by privately owned firms under contract by the manufacturers. The 2.7 and 4.7 engines I buy hold up a whole lot better than the factory installed ones!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM

I need your contact info!! The EXACT same thing happened to my '06 cummins about a month ago...(bought it new about 9 months ago...with only 350 miles on it).
But....I run SVO/WVO--refined vegetable oil...
So they're running for the excuse; "we're not going to cover it since you modified the motor".
If I can prove that it happens...has happened..and they've covered this kind of problem in the past, I might get dodge to cover the cost.
Any 'mods' on your vehicle?
What dealership did you work with?
Feel free to contact me.
thanks

Quick Reply: well dodge bought me a motor