3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Water in Fuel 03, 04 and 05

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Water in Fuel

Hi, Ordered my Truck on Jan. 3, 2004. Got it about the Mar. 30th 2004. It has been running fine all year until it started getting cold. About a month ago my wife got in the truck to go to the store and got about a block before it cut off. Temp outside was around 25. Miles on Truck was around 3300. Had used about 1/2 tank of last fillup. We called the Dodge place and they sent a tow truck out to get it. The next day I got a call from the Dodge place saying I had water in my fuel and it would not be covered under warranty because it was not a Dodge part that failed. I understud this and they wanted to replace a lot of the fuel system pumps and stuff saying that water could damage these parts. Est. was giving at $8000.00 dollars. I talked to a few people and it was suggested that I just have them flush the fuel system out. They said they would do that for est of $800-$900, so I went with that route first. I got the truck back put a locking fuel cap on it. It ran great. Weather was warmer then. Got some diesel fuel treatment and started putting that in the tank. About three weeks later when the first cold spell came again, the Truck cranked and ran for about 5 minutes warming up and then cut off. I think it was 19 degrees that night. Two tanks fills later and 4000 miles on truck with 1/2 tank of fuel left from last fillup. We had Dodge come and get it again. Got a call from them. Water in the fuel. It is still at the Dodge dealer. Est. $800-$900 to flush. I thought I would go to where I got fuel and check their computer records on water content. They looked up the fuel ticket I had just before the first time I had water in fuel. Computer showed no water in fuel. Looked up other 2 tickets between 1st and 2nd time. No water in Fuel. The Dodge place said I needed to buy fuel somewhere else, which I will do just to prove a point to myself and to satisfy their suggestion. I also own a 1990 E350 ford Diesel 7.3 and buy fuel from that fuel stop and have no problem. Dodge said that the Ford might be able to run alot more water through its system vs. the electronic system of the Dodge 5.9l. I showed them the fuel stops computer readout of 0 percent water levels and there was no comment because, I have water in my fuel. To prove this cold weather thing, I went out to the Dodge place on a warm day and cranked it up just fine first time. When it is fixed this time I am going to pick it up on a cold day. So I guess the water is freezing in the fuel and this keeps the truck from running on a cold day.

I was wondering if someone else has had this problem and what they did. I feel it's not right that I have to keep footing the bill here when I'm not the one putting water in the tank nor does it look like the fuel company is at fault.
I thought about getting a lawyer to help me figure out the next step, but it would probably cost more than fixing the problem.
I was also wondering how long water could stay in a fuel system?
My truck does sit a lot in the summer. Could the tanks sweat?
Could there be some other way water can get into the fuel system?
I understand that there is a water fuel separator. What does this thing do, if it does not keep water out of my fuel system.
Can someone please give me some suggestions on what to do or maybe just tell me your story.
Thanks TCB
Old 01-28-2005, 05:28 PM

Picture of Truck in Gallery

I still like my truck. I put a few pictures of it in the member gallery from when I first got it.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=32559
TCB
Old 01-28-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a dump valve on your fuel filter housing. After each fill up you should drain your filter housing on your own and look at the sample. This may require you to extend the drain tube to a place where you can put a glass jar under it so you can look at the sample.

Also, keep your tank full. The less air you have in your tank the less condensation you'll get in your fuel.

I would question the fuel flush the guy said he did the first time. Sounds like you may still have contamination in your tank.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:29 AM

Thanks Geico266
I do plan on keeping it full before I leave it sitting again. Question,, When you drain the water How long do you leave that lever open? Can you do this while it is running? Plus you are saying open it up before the light would come on which makes sense because it never came on in the first place. I did think about questioning the Dealer, That is why I got the Fuel Ticket Computer read outs......After they get her done again I will make another attempt at it.
TCB
Old 01-29-2005, 07:14 AM

The water sensors are not very reliable. I just open my filter housing up for 10-15 seconds, engine off. Try to catch the fuel to see if there is any water in it. You'll need to extend the tube some.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanx guys I'm going to drain mine again now!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:08 PM

I had the same thing (water in Fuel) the light came on and I drained it. Got a lot of water out
And did for the next 10 or 12 tanks. I did a search and found the problem and the dealer fixed it. They even called STAR on it and they confirmed problem! On the top of the fuel tank are 2 nipples 1 on either end, they are down in an indentation and are NOT PLUGGED! They are for emissions on gas engines and would have hoses on them. If you go through heavy rain or puddles water and dirt splash up on top and bingo water in fuel! The dealer put hoses on them and routed them so water would have A hard time getting in; he said they needed to vent that was 22000 miles ago and no more problems.

Water In Fuel
Old 01-30-2005, 12:04 AM

Welder,,,,, That is the best NEWs I have heard all day! I hope that is the problem. Lets see......That would be 2200.00 dollars I could spend on my Truck.
Thanks Thanks Thanks......Will Check on it. Monday.

Where can I get this information on the NET? What is Star? ##
Got any Links?

TCB
Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 AM

Welder,,,,, I did check out that Water in Fuel Link,,,, Didn't Catch that at first. You are a better Internet searcher then I am.
Thanks again, TCB
Old 01-30-2005, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by Welder
I had the same thing (water in Fuel) the light came on and I drained it. Got a lot of water out
And did for the next 10 or 12 tanks. I did a search and found the problem and the dealer fixed it. They even called STAR on it and they confirmed problem! On the top of the fuel tank are 2 nipples 1 on either end, they are down in an indentation and are NOT PLUGGED! They are for emissions on gas engines and would have hoses on them. If you go through heavy rain or puddles water and dirt splash up on top and bingo water in fuel! The dealer put hoses on them and routed them so water would have A hard time getting in; he said they needed to vent that was 22000 miles ago and no more problems.

Water In Fuel
Welder that is good info,I must have missed that over on TDR.coobie
Old 01-30-2005, 07:34 AM

I have A pic of my tank that I took when the truck first arrived at the dealer (no Pickup box)
But don't know how to post it, I could E-Mail it. If this works heres the link to the thread

Water In Tank
Old 01-30-2005, 08:39 AM

Welder! You should be promoted to senior advisor member!

Good job dude!

Are the 05's the same way?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:44 AM

Exclamation Water in tanks of 03, 04, 05's?

Posted by Welder, 1/30/05

On the top of the fuel tank are 2 nipples 1 on either end, they are down in an indentation and are NOT PLUGGED! They are for emissions on gas engines (Dodge uses the same fuel tanks for gas & diesel) and would have hoses on them. If you go through heavy rain or puddles water and dirt splash up on top and bingo water in fuel! The dealer (after my truck was towed in with water in the fuel) put hoses on them and routed them so water would have a hard time getting in; he said they needed to vent that was 22000 miles ago and no more problems.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...ghlight=dctech

Thanks to WELDER for seeing this important notice! Sounds like the 3rd gen guys need to put on the coveralls, or make a visit to the dealer.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:01 AM

Welder!,,,, That Link does work.. I went there and looked at the picture.. I am going to the Dodge place on Monday with my Camera.
My Wife said, If you were here she would hug you. She has spent many nights worrying about this water problem. Yes Geico266,,,, Lets promote him up a few ranks and give the man a bonus!

What is STAR?

TCB
Old 01-30-2005, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by TCBnc
Welder!,,,, That Link does work.. I went there and looked at the picture.. I am going to the Dodge place on Monday with my Camera.
My Wife said, If you were here she would hug you. She has spent many nights worrying about this water problem. Yes Geico266,,,, Lets promote him up a few ranks and give the man a bonus!

What is STAR?

TCB
TcBnc,click on the water in tank file on welders second post,it works good for my computer pic.coobie

Quick Reply: Water in Fuel 03, 04 and 05