3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

wait on arbitration or just buy new? Need quick answer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The arbitration agreements are definitely 100% binding. Be aware that the arbitrators are also chosen by DC if you signed an agreement at purchase time. I wouldn't exactly call them a fair/ubiased/impartial party.

Are they only offering you the new truck deal because they think you have a good shot at winning the arbitration case? Might be a sign to stick with the case and get more out of it.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Again, need to clarify, DC is not offering anything. I gave up a few weeks ago and sought out this deal on my own. Nothing to do with the arbitration or DC in any way. Thats why it seems to good to me. The call willing to set a date for arb was made within 20 minutes of me making the over the counter deal with a semi local Dodge dealer without any participation from DC. And yes, what is worring me more than anything else is the "Binding" arbitration in the clause. This deal will cose me aprox $.10 per mile for my 69000 miles, no compensation for the problems but still relatively cheap. Have probably lost/spehnt $600-800 out of pocklet due to breakdowns, lost work time towing fees etc.

Ordering new Monday....think it's a done deal.

Thanks for all the replies....Don
Old 04-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Do whatever is right for your situation.

If it was me, I would be enjoying my new car smell already. But...thats just my opinion.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:47 PM

Tough call, but I think I'd take the deal on the new truck.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:21 PM

OK, had the weekend to ponder it and review all the replies. From what I've read and heard from various people at various dealers DC is not very generous and hasn't been for the last 2-3 years. Soulds like I "Might" get a little of my out of pocket expenses ($600-800 due to motel, rent a car etc) but not much else. Especially as truck appears to be running OK now. They won't care as there are no codes showing and the fact that millage has dropped 20% or so since #6 injector was replaced. Deal on new will cost me about $.10 per mile for usage of 26 months. Only 1800 miles or so on 7/70 warranty left. On new 3/36 will be totally intact, 100K Cummins will be all 100K left. Hopefully all will be OK and millage will be good, whatever that is it has to be better than 8-9.5 towing that I'm now getting. Best I can get is 16-17 empty at 75 Mph with the 04.5. Hoping tha new will be back at where I was before all the injector and pump problems.

Think I'm ordering (wrong choice of words but to me ordering /purchasing agreement, etc are all the same) Monday AM an 07 5.9 which is on the lot, specs are auto 4x4 sb, Inferno Red, Limited slip 3.73, Big Horn PKG, Fold flat load floor, Sirus radio, Slider rear window, Plow pkg, camper pkg, folding heated tow mirrors, they are moving my 5th wheel hitch and running boards plus applying a spray in bed liner. I have to do the Advance folding cover due to having to order new top rail seals ($32). Guess as much as I hate to will pass on the arbitration pkg unless it might still get me something for my troubles.....without the truck which I doubt will happen.

Thanks for all the advice and replies.

Don
Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by donhov
Think I'm ordering Monday AM an 07 5.9 auto 4x4 sb, Inferno Red, Limited slip 3.73, Big Horn PKG, Fold flat load floor, Sirus radio, Slider rear window, Plow pkg, camper pkg, folding heated tow mirrors, they are moving my 5th wheel hitch and running boards plus applying a spray in bed liner. I have to do the Advance folding cover due to having to order new top rail seals ($32). Guess as mush as I hate to will pass on the arbitration pkg unless it might still get me something for my troubles.....

Thanks for all the advice and replies.

Don
I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all. You do know the 5.9 can no longer be ordered (Someone speak up if I am wrong). If you want a 5.9 you have to buy off the lot or have your dealer locate what you are looking for. If you order a truck now it will come with the new 6.7 and 6sp auto which everyone has been writing good things about. Good luck with your new truck!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy It Now

Don't wait buy it now..........
Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 PM

Well bit the bullet and had dealer find me what I wanted and he did quite well. Truck is a 07 2500 short box, 5.9 engine, 48RE, 3.73 limited slip, Forged wheels with BFG tires, Inferno Red, Big horn pkg, Snow prep, trailer prep, folding heated tow mirrors, manual transfer case, (non electric yeah), Siruis radio, opening rear window, fog lights, fold down rear floor (it's now plastic and carpeted instead of the older metal one) and has been spray in linered already. They are transfering my 5th wheel hitch and running boards and I requested that as this one did not have tow hooks that they transfer mine or install a new set.
Should be able to pick up Friday, $12 more in the monthly payment but hopefully a much better truck and at least 3/36 warranty again with the full 100K Cummins warranty also. Mine is at 68000 Miles so guess after actually looking at the numbers is will cost me slightly less than $.10 per mile for what I have driven. Not bad for 27 months I guess.

OK later....and again thanks for all the opinions and information....Don
Old 04-18-2007, 08:12 PM

Congrats, Don. Was a personal decision to fight with the old truck or just move on. Sounds like you did quite well!!! Think about it this way -- just starting over with a 3/36 warranty is worth some bucks. I mean, if you went out on the open market and bought a 3/36 extended warranty for your old truck, that would cost you $2 to $3k (not to mention the 100k mile warranty on the new Cummins engine). Factor that into the cost of the new truck. In other words, it's more than just a new truck -- it's new insurance as it's their problem for the next 3 years / 36k miles (technically their problem ) vs. your problem with the old truck basically out of warranty. BTW -- Is this one a 4x4? Quad Cab?
Old 04-18-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can not break tires loos from a deat stop unless turnign a corner or in dirt.
I remember your previous post but just a FYI, neither of my signature trucks break the tires loose and I do not feel they are defective.

Remember, there's no bad vehicles anymore....... just bad mechanics.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:14 PM

Yes 4x4 Quad cab. Identical to the 04.5 I now have other than color and a few other items. Difference is this one had Big Horn Pkg even though I don't know what that is other than Sirrus radio and rear opening window. Truck does not have tow hooks so hopefully dealer is installing same from my old truck. Just hope this one is a better experiance than the old one was. Really like the truck, just hate dealer attitude and then finding out Dodge has no serious type of customer support either. Did fiind a very good rated dealer and hopefully that will make the difference for me. Didn't mean to imply that truck shoudl break tires loose but that the 04.5 has severe underpower compared to my neighbors identical truck. Tried his ZXT Quad box and at that point my truck was equal to his without the box. Kinda tells ya soimethisg is amiss with it and with it's history of breakdowns just glad to be getting rid of it.

Thanks again........Don
Old 04-18-2007, 11:44 PM

It sure is very frustrating buying anything these days, the sales people just thing we consumers should just take it in the shorts and go away. I'm steadly getting rid of anything that can cause me grief. I would get the new truck also, the $.10 a mile is what I would consider. Good luck and post your MPG's.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by donhov
Yes 4x4 Quad cab. Identical to the 04.5 I now have other than color and a few other items. Difference is this one had Big Horn Pkg even though I don't know what that is other than Sirrus radio and rear opening window. Truck does not have tow hooks so hopefully dealer is installing same from my old truck. Just hope this one is a better experiance than the old one was. Really like the truck, just hate dealer attitude and then finding out Dodge has no serious type of customer support either. Did fiind a very good rated dealer and hopefully that will make the difference for me. Didn't mean to imply that truck shoudl break tires loose but that the 04.5 has severe underpower compared to my neighbors identical truck. Tried his ZXT Quad box and at that point my truck was equal to his without the box. Kinda tells ya soimethisg is amiss with it and with it's history of breakdowns just glad to be getting rid of it.

Thanks again........Don
Cool. Well, maybe at some point you'll be able to "move on" and enjoy the new truck without thoughts of the old one. Hopefully it has the power you xpect and is similar to your neighbor's truck. Enjoy!
Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 AM

who is the good dealer and who is the bad, i'm in jackson don?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 PM

Made my deal online with Hillsdale Dodge, ask for Rob and tell him I sent you. I have been advised that they have 2 very good diesel mechanics, time will tell. One has many years over the road truck experiance. The other dealer, the one you don't want to go to is in Jackson Mi and is the one that caused much damage. PM me and I will send you the name of Extreme Dodge.....OOps did I say that. Also had a horrible experiance with Snethkemp Dodge on Penslyvvania St. in Lansing, ended up paying for a secoind oil change 1 day after having injector replaced as they said "We only got paid for 1 change" and they refused to do another even though oil was greatly diluted with diesel from the injector replacement.

OK Enough bashing...Just hope all is well with new truck. Time will tell.

Quick Reply: wait on arbitration or just buy new? Need quick answer.