3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

wait on arbitration or just buy new? Need quick answer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wait on arbitration or just buy new? Need quick answer.

Just got notified that Damiler Chrysler has set up an arbitration hearing for May 4th this year.

Has anyone had this experiance and what has been the result. Have an 04.5 with almost 69000 miles on it ( although I started complaining around 8K miles and much louder after pump failures at 20K) and have had many problems with fuel system, IE: lift pump, CP3 injector pump, rail pressure relief valves (3) injectors and the last straw absolutly poor fuel millage. When first injector failed, 35k miles, #4 millage increased and power seemed greater, 28 days later when #6 failed at 36K miles millage took a big dive and power was lost back to or less than original feel. Can not break tires loos from a deat stop unless turnign a corner or in dirt. Dealer says no codes, no problems unless I want to pay for diagnostics. Dare I take a chance and see what arbitrator will do (after not hearing anything for 8 months) or jump on a deal just offered for an 07 5.9 with more on it than I now have for $35,000 and getting me $25000 or so for mine. All items are to be changed over, running boards, hitch etc....at dealers expense.....

Has anyone had any recent experiance with DC's arbitration hearings and had good results or should I just bite the bullet and get the newer truck and give up on Chrysler as it will only cost me about $10k for 69000 miles usage. Their last offer (non arbitration would have cost me $17000 and raised my payments about $165, this offered one is a wash other than it's for another 5 years but still same payments but 8.5% instead of my current 10% loan. Of course I don't qualify for the 0% from DC financing which would have made this even sweeter and a no brainer.

Need to decide quickly as deal is already approved and only good for 10 days or till 07 truck is no longer available.

Offer is for 07 5.9 CTD 2500 short box, 4x4, Big horn package, spray in liner, tow hooks, snow plow pkg, camper pkg, sport wheels etc. in Inferno Red.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gee, that's a hard one. Getting a new '07 is sure tempting.

On the other hand, I have no idea what could happen in arbitration. In fact, I don't even know what it involves.

Anyone?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arbitration always sucks and you never get what you want. I've been through it enough times with the union.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plus, if this deal is a wash payment-wise you're getting a better / newer truck. It sounds like the offer makes the the current truck effectively into a "lease" for the time you've had it and you can then get into the new truck for the same payments for the next 5 years toward purchase. Tough call. Do you want to gamble somewhat and see this through or do you just want to get on with your life? On some levels, this sort of thing is just personal with no right or wrong. Good luck! P.S. The new truck sounds quite nice & tempting to me too.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:11 PM

Your results may vary, but I went through arbitration on my '01 1500. Truck went through 2 rear axles (complete axle/diff replacement) and the 3rd one appeared to be heating up like the first 2. This was all within the first 3000mi since new. Left me setting 200mi and 600mi away from home each time.
I went to arbitration trying to get a buyback and met with a couple real jerks who had no knowledge about the vehicle. They didn't have any of the repair records (I did). They told me towing 3500# trailer was vehicle abuse (I had the owners manual stating the ?8000# towing capacity). Bottom line, they told me to go pack sand and that I was abusing the vehicle, and that if I expected not to destroy axles, I needed a 3/4 ton. Told me I was lucky to get warranty on what I had repaired already considering the "abuse". Needless to say I was steaming mad, probably should have had a lawyer w/ me to deal w/ these farking thieves.
All's well that ends well though. I never did have a problem w/ that 3rd rear axle in 120k mi. The 2nd dealer that repaired the truck GAVE me a 100k bumper to bumper warranty for my inconvienence (Billion Chrysler in Souix City, SD, exceptional service, not even a Dodge dealer), and in 120k mi I only had it in for repairs 1 time for a very minor isssue. Sold the truck and everything, everything worked like new on it.
My advice is come armed w/ a knowledgable lawyer or just take the deal on a new truck.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:17 PM

"arbitration" means no lawyers are involved.
I would take the new truck and run
Old 04-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by SBishop
"arbitration" means no lawyers are involved.
I would take the new truck and run
You are correct, I remember that now. It may have helped my cause if i was dealing w/ the dealership that sold me the truck, but I bought it right before I moved. Bought the truck in Northern WI, 1st replacement in Southern WI (1 day later), 2nd replacelment in South Dakota (2 weeks later), arbitration in Colorado (1 month later).
Old 04-13-2007, 03:11 PM

New truck GO FOR IT
Old 04-13-2007, 03:25 PM

Given that it doesn't look like you can "lemon" this one, I would go for the new one. Please post the VIN though so none of us get stuck buying it!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Banned

take some pics of your new truck for us
Old 04-13-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wash your hands of the old one and get a new one. I have got my fingers crossed I will not have any injector issues as you did. We'll see. So far so good.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:36 PM

I am in arbitrations right now w/ DC. If they don't give me what I want/deserve, I am certainly not buying another DC product. If I were you, I'd see what kind of cash I could get from them, then go buy a DIFFERENT brand that you don't have to take to the shop every time you turn around. I love the Cummins, but in my opinion the rest of the truck is junk. I never had one prob. w/ my '01 CTD which I dogged. I drive this new one like a baby & it can't even handle that.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Never had a problem witht he truck, all engine related. Brief history, Lousy fuel millage from git go, 3 co,mplaints, no resolution. 20k lost lift pump and pressure relief valve. 22K lost CP3 & relief valve. 28K due to dealer incompance lost fan doing much damage including wiring harness etc, $1600 worth of damage, paid for by local dealer while I ws stranded in Flordia, 35K lost #4 injector filling crankcase with fuel, less than 1000 miles later lost #6. Replacing #4 got more power and better millage. Replacing #6 getting very poor millage and less power. Dodge says no codes and won't look at it. Really think deal will be done Monday for new. Not sure that I will get anything from Dodge and I can't keep spending money on rental cars, motels etc when stranded. Concensis is that Dodge will not re-imburse me for any of the extras anyways, even under arbitration, .....Greatly appreciate all answers. Remember I am in binding arbitration, due to buying under an employee plan in Michigan. They also don't bother to tell you that either when you buy. New truck also is under that plan but I have a plan to work around that also.
Just don't want to tell all yet.

Thanks Don
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 PM

Smile

The dealer I bought my truck asked me to sign a document stating that I wouldn't sue the dealer in court and that I'd take them to arbitration instead. I'm not sure that agreement is 100% binding as one could argue that it's not clear what legal remedies you're giving up, what state statutes providing protections to buyers are in conflict with arbitration and even whether such agreements extend to DiamlerChrysler or not (they usually don't and are limited to the selling dealer / agent).

I know that dealers like it because they get to control their costs defending themselves and figure that the cases that are brought are often the most egregious anyway. So if there is a compromise result through arbitration, they technically come out ahead vs. the potential of a 100% win for the plaintiff in a court case -- even worse a jury case.

I'm sure we all want to know what YOU finally decide to do. So be sure to update us!!! Good luck!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:06 PM

Take the new truck and see if you can get an extended warranty for your past troubles... its worth a shot. Plus your getting a 5.9L in a 07!!!

Quick Reply: wait on arbitration or just buy new? Need quick answer.