3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Vibration 2004.5 Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by NJMurvin
With 13k and change on the clock, mine vibrates right on cue starting at about 68mph through about 76mph after which it smooths out again. That and the rattle/buzz in the driver door (exacerbated by the vibe) are my only complaints about this truck, though.
LOL I just got off the phone with the service department. They couldnt fing the rattle in the door under the window controls and the driveline vibration "is normal for trucks this big." Funny how none of my other 1 ton diesels had that problem......
Old 03-22-2005, 07:31 PM

when buying my new one,,i looked for the vibe problems,but didnt drive any that had it.when i talked to the service guy that runs the shop about it,,he said to drive it and make sure it doesnt have it,cause if it did,he or chrysler couldnt fix it.he said if they dont have it from the begenning,he hasnt seen one come in that got it later.he also said,conservatively,,that from what hes seen,hed say 4 out of 10 new trucks have it,,,thats a pretty good percentage of them,they are going to have to figure this one out.he said with working with chrysler,,that theyre current line of thinking is that its still a harmonic resonance through the frame....my question is,,has anybody tried putting in any diagonal supports across the frame rails?.....a friend of mine is a 11 year tech for nissan,and has had the same problems with some of the titans,,they can put a receiver hitch on them and fix them.he says nissan says the end of the frame rails are acting as a tuning fork and having a resonance,,i know our trucks have receivers on them,but maybe a diagonal support might help,,,just trying to help,bama
Old 03-26-2005, 05:49 PM

I've had my '04.5 in the shop twice now. Both times they said they fixed it, but hadn't. The second time, they put on a new front driveshaft and said all that was left was drone from the exhaust. Vibe is now actually worse than it was when I brought it to them. I now have an oscillating vibe that cycles about 100 times per minute. That seems to indicate to me that I have two separate vibrations at different frequencies that result in the oscillating vibration.

My understanding is that 4 visits to fix the same problem constitutes a lemon law.

Worse part of it is the dealer crap where they say it's fixed, but it's actually worse. Do they think we are dipsh!ts?

After driving 200,000 miles on Ford Powerstrokes without any significant problems (only crank pos. sensor issues on each truck - fixed on 1st visit to dealer), I have nothing but poor things to think about my Dodge. Too bad. I really WANT to like this truck.

I have about 20 customers that are diesel truck guys. Do you think they'll be at the Dodge dealer after hearing about my experience with this truck and Dodge's service?
Old 03-27-2005, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started anouther thread abought the vibe and a posible way to fix it but I will post this hear as well. A guy at work gave chrysler every opertunity to fix his vibe problem but they couldent. So they let him have a try at it and he loosened the motor and tranie mounts then started the truck and goosed the throttle a bit to get the motor to toque and alighn itself. He then shut it off and tightened it down. He said his vibe was instanly gone. One other person on here has tried it and got it to work. Maybe some of ya with the time can give it a try and see if it works. Cheap and easy, mayby it will work for ya mayby not, but worth a try.