3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Vibration 2004.5 Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Vibration 2004.5 Fix?

I have a 2004.5, Ram 2500, 4x4, 4 door, short bed, diesal 600,with 12,000 miles, Chrysler has been doing everything in there power to fix my $37,000 vibrator. The factory rep has approved all fixes to get my problem remedied I know have a new aluminum drive shaft,new u joints,they have adjusted the angle of the engine, Sorry to say i still have the vibe from 60 to 72 mph it is alittle better but not fixed,My truck will be going in the shop 1 last time next week, there changing the rear differential they say theres a vibe there after placing on the machine.Will see what happens but if its not fixed D.C. will be replacing my vehicle with a 2005 same model.In the buy back program. or if not i will seek the Lemon Law, if this is a value to anyone reply and I will keep the forum informed. I purchased this vehicle with 14 miles on it and has done it since day one.If i knew about this issue would of gone Ford.even though I am a dodge man. regards

My trans would be the 48re auto 4 speed
Old 01-15-2005, 02:41 PM

I would be interested. I don't think many people have gotten new rear axle assemblies approved for the 70mpg vibration problems, but I haven't been following those threads closely.

Is it an auto or six speed manual?

I've had mine for only 3 weeks now. If it did what you are describing, I would have left it on the lot.

Easy to say, hard to do.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned

I would have them look at the carrier bearing when they are under there, I have read where some have shimmed the bearing housing for better alignment and it helped out on the vibes.

When we bought my wifes new 600 I told them that when we got there to test drive it if it had the 70 mph vib the deal was off and they would reimburse me for the travel costs..........700 miles. they agreed to the deal, all was good with the truck though so we did it, I am convinced that the vib deal is a bad one and if a new truck has it than dont buy it

Cheers, Kevin
Old 01-16-2005, 11:18 AM

I am very curious about this drive train vibration problem. Is this problem showing up in more manual transmission vs. automatic transmissions?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:15 PM

every truck ive seen the vibe on is a 4x4. My step dads 03 had the vibe and they removed his 4x4 driveshaft and it went away. They put a new one in and it was gone.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:33 PM

SR148, make sure you understand the difference in the 48re trans between the two trucks Your 2004.5 has 4th gear lockout, when you push tow haul. The 2005 has no 4th gear lockout like your 2004.5 has . If your towing trailers in hills you might NOT LIKE THIS. You just might concider a manual 6 speed.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:07 PM

"but if its not fixed D.C. will be replacing my vehicle with a 2005 same model"
Just to follow up with bluepp, alot of owners not happy with 2005 automatic tow/haul change, as well as intercoolers starting in 2005 have plastic end tanks . Just a warning to the changes, I am looking into buy-back or Lemon Law on knocking & vibe, but would not want a 2005 Ram. Like my truck, hate that no-one can fix the problems with it
Old 01-18-2005, 10:49 PM

My truck is at the dealer now for the vibe. Third time they have tried to fix it. Shimed the carrier down as much a 5/8" and made it worse. Factory rep told them to replace the drive shaft today. Dealer told me that there is not a drive shaft to fit it within 500 miles of here. They say one will be here Thursday or Friday. Don't know if they are going to replace the front half, back half or both. Either way, they better come up with a fix. Their time is running out and my patience is running thin. Chevy D/A with that frame glaring at any and all who want to see it is starting to look puurrrdy good.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:45 PM

I wouldn't over the GM Dmax. Isuzu is a very reputable diesel engine manufacturer and Allison is known for HD trannies. Look at my fix. It's doing a fantastic job and has no issues. It's just thirsty. And it's about as popular on this site as a boil right on the forehead. At least you'd be sending DC a clear message even if just one. I can't believe DC can't figure out a simple driveline vibration. My '03 was flawless except for that. I'm getting PO'ed just thinking about it again.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted this on another thread on this same topic . . .

This is from Horselady over in dieselram.com . . . she works in the service dept of a Dodge dealership. Here's something she posted:

There are numerous 03-04's with front driveshaft issues- I personally have not had any "disassemble" themselves but yours may be an extreme situation. Anyway, DC is working on a fix:

K19252068
Vehicle Issue Vibration noted at high speed.
Year 2004, 2003
Model DR - Ram Pickup
Category Customer Concern (No DTCs)
System or Component Group 03 - Axle / Driveline / Propeller Shaft
Symptom Vibration
Condition Verification Yes - Continuously, Yes - Intermittent
Case Verification Applies to 2003 - 2004 (DR) 4WD (four wheel drive) models. Vibration noted at 60 - 70 mph.
Recommendation This condition is currently under investigation by Driveline Engineering Dept. TSB / other will be issued when corrective action procedure is defined. The vibration condition may be associated with the removal of the front axle disconnect system starting with 2003 (DR) 4WD models. The vibration will typically be first order and is affected by anything that rotates at propeller shaft speed. Possible contributing factors: Wheel runout or balance. Excessive tire road force variance. Front / rear propshaft runout or balance. Indexing of front propshaft to yoke / flange. Transfer case front output shaft runout or imbalance. NOTE: Replacement of axle assembly or transfer case will not usually correct this condition

I'll keep an eye out for future TSB's in this area...

It doesn't appear that they're dodging the issue (no pun intended). It just seems that either they aren't willing to make the fix a priority or they're truly unable to figure out what the problem is. I suspect it's the former.

Neil
Old 01-20-2005, 03:17 PM

Nothing in the wizard's black bag for my '03 2X4... Nothing has happened to make me regret trading for the Hemi-roid. Not even the gas pump. I've been a Dodge fan for over 20 years. This nonsense has me looking at other trucks. It only applies to 4X4 trucks and even then they've come up with nothing. We've known for over two years it's driveline. It doesn't take an engineer to get that far. So even if they did include the many 4X2 trucks with the vibe, I would have still had "nothing" if I would have kept the '03 in hope of a fix.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:50 PM

Lemon Law..:(

OK got my vehicle back it now drives like a tank and vibrates thru out the spectrum.
I am so fed up with this I contacted a Lawyer and thats that, there will be a Ford in my drive way.They replaced both drive shafts front and rear an aluminum rear.Replaced my rear axel gears also.
I had abnormal wear on my right rear axel hub replaced that put a flang extender on the rear drive shaft and I am disapointed,no fix,drives rough as hell and also was on the highway doing 70 and I smelled my tires burning up stopped at my friends house and it was my rear right tire ,my 60 to 70 mile an hour vibe is now a 1 to 80 vibe bringing it back to the dealer
and telling them to undo what they did it has no power, cant imagine my fuel costs now.D.C. has left me with a bad taste and that will be my last crysler product and its too bad cause I love my truck.I called Dc and all they told me was I have to wait for a rep to contact me with what they are going to do.RIght after i hung up called a lemon lawyer and its a done deal now I just wait and see and hope it doesnt take to long.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:10 PM

Put the front axle disconnect back in and the problem would be solved for 90% of the vehicles that have it.

Accountants trying to save a few bucks and now they are going to blow all that savings on repairs and will have some unhappy truck owners to boot..

Pretty stupid if you ask me...

Jason
Old 03-01-2005, 09:29 AM

Question Update on my lemon Law 04.5

I have a Lemon Law Attorney for my 2004.5 ram. DC is making 1 last repair attempt
to fix my vibration issue and to fix what the dealer has screwed up.Towing about 1000 lbs
I am getting 8.5 to 14.5 mpg, just unexeptable, before there repair attempt i was getting
14.5 to 17.5 mpg towing the same trailer. they really screwed my rear end gears up is my guess. anyway i will keep you posted it is going in wed march 2nd Dc is sending someone directly from DC to work on my vehicle again so we'll see what happens, all i know is i want a new truck this is ridiculous, even tho my attorney believes we will probably end up going to court over this which is fine with me. Also I placed the truck into reverese the other day twice I might add and it wouldnt move it was like it was stuck in neutral so my whole truck is starting to fail on me, all this for $37,000 grand and 14,000 miles later.Has anyone driven a vibration free 2500 with the diesel 4x4 quad cab let me know . are they out there? also how is the noise in the cab? mine we have to talk loud to each other to talk on the highway.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:04 PM

My 2004.5 QC 4x4 is smooth as glass.

On my first road trip, I noticed that it ran rough at 65-70 mph. It wasn't a huge vibration, just seemed like the engine was struggling. I put 315/70's on and I haven't had the problem since.

Quick Reply: Vibration 2004.5 Fix?