3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Valvoline Premium Extreme Blue Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spooler
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...highlight=ZDDP

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...highlight=ZDDP

Why don't you read for yourself. I am sure I can find more in other forums but what is the point, you won't believe me. I am done posting on the thread.
Always gracious even when you are right, eh spooler? Work a little harder at it and somebody might mistake you for a nice guy.

Thank you for posting those. Not convinced my motor is going to die tomorrow but it tracks with what I expected from other threads.

I put it under the "bears scrutiny" heading along with the injectors seats and piston bowls.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert373

I will pose this question to you. Given identical circumstances, if you had any name brand synthetic oil in your truck instead of Amsoil, would it perform similarly?
I ran mobil once in gas engine. It didn't hold up as well as Amsoil per UOA. If I'm buying using your product . I expect you to tell me what's in the product. I don't want to hear ''we don't give out that info on our product'' as I was told by mobil. I don't have that problem with Amsoil..

As for real bacon or fake bacon.. I'll take the real stuff every
time.

API means nothing to me. It must not mean much to others as Amsoil has been around a long time

Group 3 is refined enough to be called synthetic.. But, it isn't as pure as group 4 that's why it's called group 3 . It isn't equal to group 4 or it would be called group 4
Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by 92'1stGen
After reading that it doesn't sound like Amsoil was your problem at all. If you only ran Amsoil for 12.5k miles in the (gas) engine, changed the filter on it every 3k miles, and had to add 1 qt of oil at each of those filter changes, than your engine already had some internal problems to start with, that most likely caused the oil to wear prematurely. Now, while you may have had a bad experience with Amsoil in a gasser, you haven't even tried the diesel oil. Until you do, your argument for disliking Amsoil is pretty much a mute point. Plenty of people on here, including myself, have run Amsoil for well past the manufacturers rated miles and it's performed great, with UOA's to prove it. I've yet to see any UOA's showing that Amsoil has performed poorly.

As always someone has to blame this on something else. Amsoil did the same thing when I talked to them about this.

I ran Amsoil when the motor had about 50,000 KMs on it, and it had previously done UOA on it proving it healthy. I filled it with Amsoil, and did a short change on it to essentially flush the engine. Then I ran the Amsoil for 20,000 kms and had the did the UOA analysis.

After that I dumped the Amsoil, I essentially flushed the engine again, and ran a different brand of synthetic successfully until I sold the truck at 220,000 kms. The oil analysis did straighten itself out completely once I flushed the engine oil. I am COMPLETELY convinced it was the oil that was the problem.

Has anyone here ever run Amsoil to near destruction, and compared to any other synthetic to see if it will perform in a similar manner?

As for your point about me not running Amsoil diesel engine oil being a mute point, are you saying thier gas engine oil is sub-standard and thier diesel engine oil so much better? I thought Amsoil was "first in synthetics" which would apply to ALL thier oils.

Would you still run a Fram filter on the expensive diesel engine, when it just collapsed internally on your wife's gasser and ruined her engine? Would that experience not give you reason not to use Fram filters.

And you should be thanking me for alerting you to a UOA were Amsoil performed poorly. Guess you can't make that statement again.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by hector
Group 3 is refined enough to be called synthetic.. But, it isn't as pure as group 4 that's why it's called group 3 . It isn't equal to group 4 or it would be called group 4
Another interesting fact about these differences is that only in the US is a group 3 allowed to be called a synthetic. In every other country outside the US, only group 4's are considered synthetic. Hmm, makes you wonder doesn't it?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:29 PM

As always someone has to blame this on something else. Amsoil did the same thing when I talked to them about this.

I ran Amsoil when the motor had about 50,000 KMs on it, and it had previously done UOA on it proving it healthy. I filled it with Amsoil, and did a short change on it to essentially flush the engine. Then I ran the Amsoil for 20,000 kms and had the did the UOA analysis.

After that I dumped the Amsoil, I essentially flushed the engine again, and ran a different brand of synthetic successfully until I sold the truck at 220,000 kms. The oil analysis did straighten itself out completely once I flushed the engine oil. I am COMPLETELY convinced it was the oil that was the problem.

Has anyone here ever run Amsoil to near destruction, and compared to any other synthetic to see if it will perform in a similar manner?

As for your point about me not running Amsoil diesel engine oil being a mute point, are you saying thier gas engine oil is sub-standard and thier diesel engine oil so much better? I thought Amsoil was "first in synthetics" which would apply to ALL thier oils.

Would you still run a Fram filter on the expensive diesel engine, when it just collapsed internally on your wife's gasser and ruined her engine? Would that experience not give you reason not to use Fram filters.

And you should be thanking me for alerting you to a UOA were Amsoil performed poorly. Guess you can't make that statement again.
If your using a quart of oil over a 3k mile period, (especially with the small amount of oil that gassers hold as it is) you've got problems. No matter who tells you, whether it's Amsoil or me, it's a problem, simple and fact.

Do you have the good and bad oil analysis from your Chevy 5.7? I'd love to see them.

No, I wouldn't run a Fram filter in that situation because I'm not married (engaged), and I wouldn't buy my wife a vehicle with a gas engine.

You alerted me to a poor UOA? where? I haven't seen one, all you've done is say that you had one taken, but I've yet to see any paperwork.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:22 PM

My owner's manual says to change oil every 7,500 miles during normal service. 3,750 during severe service.

.boB - You need to read your owners manual a little more carefully. For engine oil changes every second box is checked meaning engine oil changes are every 7500 miles for severe service and 15000 miles for normal service.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 PM

I run a CJ oil, Schaeffers S-9000. I guess I will do a sample @7000 miles see if it has ruined my cam or engine.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:05 AM

ahhhhhh.... CJ oil...... run away!!!
Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 AM

do some quick research guys... learn as to why your old way of thinking about oil is not doing us any favors... learn why TBN doesn't matter as much anymore..

this article from a fleet industry publication states:

"Benefits of CJ-4 oils include up to 50% better wear protection than CI-4 PLUS, better oxidation control and improvements in soot control."

what??!???!?!

read and learn folks.... do a couple quick google searches on CJ-4 and fleet/industry trends...

http://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/Ite...0_engines.aspx

stop feeding the fear, learn something new...
Old 12-05-2009, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by 92'1stGen
If your using a quart of oil over a 3k mile period, (especially with the small amount of oil that gassers hold as it is) you've got problems. No matter who tells you, whether it's Amsoil or me, it's a problem, simple and fact.
Read this line from post #73

This was with filter changes at 5,000 kms and a 1 liter top up at that time

As reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I will translate.

I changed the filter which loses aproximately 1 litre of oil, so I topped it off. The engine wasn't using a litre of oil, as you assume.

As for the UOA, I will dig them up and post them.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by hotrod929
I am currently running Amsoil HD 15w-40 oil. I am thinking of switching to Valvoline Premium Extreme Blue 5w-40 because of availability at local NAPA stores. What do you guys think of this oil. Let me know if im gonna be making a huge mistake. Thanks

HotRod
So, have they answered your question yet, HR???
Old 12-05-2009, 10:02 AM

Read this line from post #73

This was with filter changes at 5,000 kms and a 1 liter top up at that time

As reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I will translate.

I changed the filter which loses aproximately 1 litre of oil, so I topped it off. The engine wasn't using a litre of oil, as you assume.

As for the UOA, I will dig them up and post them.
Man, I guess not if I'm the one that's actually responding with correct grammer and spelling.

Good, I'll be interested to see.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by billie

I'll try

Any oil will lube your engine.. He has to make the deicision to change to what ever he feels is best for him..Every engine is different .. every ones driving habits are different... Your already using 1 of the best .Personally , I wouldn't lower my standards & switch from a group 4 PAO to a group 3 mineral oil

As I said,,
Some like apples
Some like oranges
Old 12-05-2009, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by billie
Sure. I just changed my oil a few days ago with the VPBE 5w-40 and so far i like it. Its cold as crap in the mornings here in Kansas so the morning start seems a bit easier. I am not used to this cold nonsense after being in the desert for the past 2 years almost.

HotRod
Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 AM

Yeah, us too. A blizzard for us the last 2 days. Actually not too cold, -8*C but going down to -20*C for Monday and all next week. We've got a 6' drift in accross the driveway so the bobcat comes out so we can get to our Xmas party tonight. Blanketed the horses this morning, they looked like popcicles in their snow coats.

I've used synthetic since new given our winter temps and I don't care to change mid-year. There's no doubt it helps cold starts IMO.

Stay warm, and thanks for your service, from your northern neighbor.

Cya

Quick Reply: Valvoline Premium Extreme Blue Oil