3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme oil??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme oil??

If Delo is $6/gal, and stratapores are $8, that makes each of Jonesey's oil changes $26 plus his time. Therefore 10K miles costs him $52 plus the time for 2 oil changes.

Running Delvac 1 costs approx $68 per oil change, and will easily go 10k miles with the original filter.

You guys can see the math is pretty simple- it costs just $16 more to run Delvac 1, a premium group 4 synthetic than a regular dino diesel oil like Delo. That $16 isn't including the time spent for two oil changes.

The whole process takes about 30 mins for the average guy from start to cleanup. Jonesey, isn't a half hour of your time doing something else and better protection worth $16 at least?

Sometimes I have to break it down again for myself like this to remind myself why I use the more 'expensive' stuff.... ;D

Not to mention the fact that the D1 protects/flows better at startup, and will have far better cleanliness than a dino oil
Old 12-12-2003, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightman,
You make a good point but even with synthetic I don't think I could force myself to change it at 10,000 mile intervals. No one I know of meets the criteria for 15,000 mile change intervals. Does Cummins actually extend the intervals for synthetic oil? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think increased intervals if using synthetic is just a marketing ploy by the oil manufacturers. I also believe engine manufacturers still recommend the same mileage intervals whether you use dino or synthetic.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:06 PM

[quote author=Jonesey link=board=20;threadid=23603;start=30#msg222723 date=1071255412]
Lightman,
You make a good point but even with synthetic I don't think I could force myself to change it at 10,000 mile intervals. No one I know of meets the criteria for 15,000 mile change intervals. Does Cummins actually extend the intervals for synthetic oil? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think increased intervals if using synthetic is just a marketing ploy by the oil manufacturers. I also believe engine manufacturers still recommend the same mileage intervals whether you use dino or synthetic.
[/quote]

Jonesey, I was uncomfortable at first too switching to longer intervals - we all were. One oil analysis will cure you. Our 3rd gens are very easy on oil, and 7500 on dino is conservative for most people's driving. Most fall somewhere in between the severe/light maintenance schedules... and since Delvac 1 or comparable wil last a lot longer than dino, 10K is on the conservative side.

The extended drain premium synthetics DO hold up over much longer intervals than dino oils, this is fact, not marketing.

Lastly, some engine manufacturers do state longer drain intervals with synthetic. Mercedes for example, recommends long oil drain intervals, and some cars are equipped with a computer that analyzes the oil and determines the interval - somewhere between 10-15k. Due to tons of engines sludging using dino oil at these intervals, they mandated synthetic. The synthetic does fine over these intervals.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:18 PM

Lightman,
You are correct about the difficulty of forcing yourself to change the oil at the extended intervals. I always changed my 01.5 at 3000 mile intervals. I now have to fight off the urge to change it at the same 3000 mile interval.You are also correct on the Gen IIIs being easier on the oil. A couple laps around the block after changing the oil in the Gen II and it was already black.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:40 PM

OK Gang,
I don't know about popeye (the guy who started this thread) but I now accept the possibility I may have placed too much faith in Valvoline's label "Full Synthetic".

[quote author=Lightman link=board=20;threadid=23603;start=15#msg222643 date=1071246697]
Thanks Hairy, lol..

"Valvoline said the oil, formulated with a blend of polyalphaolefin and hydrocracked base stocks, was developed especially for use in engines equipped with exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), a technology used to meet 2002 emissions limits."

According to the Valvoline MSDS the oil consists of the following:

63% - 73% Hydrotreated heavy paraffinic base stock.
16% - 26% Synthetic additive (not specific)
13% - 17% Detergents/Dispersants

There you go folks - hydrocracked basestocks=petroleum/fossil fuel base.

[/quote]

I'm not sure how Harry got the above quote (as stated by Lightman) from Valvoline but I did look up the MSDS and it reads as stated in the quote (most discouraging ). I also called Valvoline and talked to a very nice lady but only got the "no comment" response to most of my questions. She did state that Valvoline considered all Group III, IV, and V as "Full Synthetics" (again, very discouraging > ).
So now a new question:
Can anyone point me to a manufacture's website/page where the manufacture specifically claims the following attributes are true for his oil:
1. CI-4
2. Group IV
3. 5W40 or 10W40 or 15W40

I did try to do my own homework and found a few "Full Synthetic" basestock but you have taught me not to trust that phrase. I was unable to find any that claimed "Group IV" on their product specification sheet.
Thanks

The Boss Hog
(as I said, still learnin' . . .)
Old 12-12-2003, 01:52 PM

Hairy didn't get the quote, I did.... those were separate thoughts. I was jokingly/sarcastically saying thanks to harry for that long amsoil cut/paste

Hog- here's some info on Delvac 1. I know you seem to want to 'see it to believe it' but delvac 1 is unquestionably from PAO/Ester basestocks and is a group 4, CI-4 5w40 =]

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...Collection.asp
Old 12-12-2003, 03:02 PM

Looks like this one is about finished........thanks for the "enlightening" info. Lightman....
Old 12-12-2003, 04:10 PM

[quote author=Lightman link=board=20;threadid=23603;start=30#msg222751 date=1071258760]
Hog- here's some info on Delvac 1. I know you seem to want to 'see it to believe it' but delvac 1 is unquestionably from PAO/Ester basestocks and is a group 4, CI-4 5w40 =]

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...Collection.asp
[/quote]

Lightman,
You are correct about the "see it to believe it". I checked out the page you referenced above. I followed the link to Delvac 1:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...vac1_5W-40.asp

It makes the same "Full Synthetic" claim as others do. As far as I can see, it says nothing about Delvac 1 being a Group IV or having PAO basestocks. That does not mean it is not a Group IV but as one member chastised me:

[quote author=Dr. Evil link=board=20;threadid=23603;start=0#msg222306 date=1071191174]
Mr. Hog,

If it actually was a Group 4 dont ya think they'd be advertising that fact, just like the other companies do???
[/quote]

You are happy with your choise, I'm happy with mine. Maybe we should just leave it at that. Latter,

The Boss Hog
Old 12-12-2003, 04:13 PM

Well friend, you can do the research that I've done and find out for yourself, but D1 is in fact a group IV PAO/Ester based oil. Ask any oil expert or mobil. Companies don't generally advertise in that kind of detail about their basestocks or group ratings that would only mean something to oil experts/fanatics.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:26 PM

we wouldnt have any fanatics around here would we???
Old 12-12-2003, 08:57 PM

GDH - carquest around here in FL sells Amsoil, check the one near you....the 15w40 hdd/marine is a great choice in warmer climates.

Delvac 1 can be purchased at some truck stops, wal-marts in some parts of the country, and most oil companies that deal with truckers in your area. Although I would recommend just ordering d1 from www.avlube.com . I can see someone's point in not wanting to pay for shipping, but that's offset by not paying tax when you order online, and the fact you don't have to go anywhere to get it.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=Dr. Evil link=board=20;threadid=23603;start=30#msg222825 date=1071268007]
[/quote]

Mr. errr ummm Doctor Evil...Get the Petro Canada oil...5W 40 Duron...full synthetic.

Jason Hansen can hook you up on a good price in Hanna.

Old 12-13-2003, 12:08 AM

Gdh, have your auto parts store order the oil for you. Just because they don't have it in stock, doesn't mean they can't get it.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:28 AM

[quote author=Scotty link=board=20;threadid=23603;start=30#msg222917 date=1071284835]
[quote author=Dr. Evil link=board=20;threadid=23603;start=30#msg222825 date=1071268007]
[/quote]

Mr. errr ummm Doctor Evil...Get the Petro Canada oil...5W 40 Duron...full synthetic.

Jason Hansen can hook you up on a good price in Hanna.

[/quote]

PC duron synthetic is a good oil for the price. It is also a group 3 synthetic, not a 'pure' synthetic like D1 or Amsoil. From all the oil analysis reports I've seen, I'd say PC duron is definitely one of if not THE best group 3 diesel oil.

Quick Reply: Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme oil??