3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme oil??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme oil??

Do any of you use this full synthetic oil recommended by Cummins? Is it a true level 4 synthetic? Is it price effective when comparing to Delvac 5w40 or Amsoil 5w30? Can you tell me where to get it for a good price if you do like it? I talked to NAPA today and they want 18.65/gallon. Saw on another site that they paid approx. 15.00/gallon. Thanks. Popeye.

presently running Rotella Syn. but learned it is not a true syn.

Thanks again.

"03, Dynomax muffler, 34,000 miles, all options. love the truck.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:02 PM

Re:Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme oil??

I think that its still a group 3 syn....which would make it the same as Rotella syn....a semi or pseudo synthetic....

I think Delvac 1 and Amsoil set the standard.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's a group 3 oil like rotella syn. Since you're in IL and experience some cold temps, I'd recommend you try Delvac 1 5w-40. In warmer climates the amsoil 15w40 is the way to go, because it's a bit cheaper.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:56 PM

[quote author=Dr. Evil link=board=20;threadid=23603;start=0#msg222197 date=1071180137]
I think that its still a group 3 syn....which would make it the same as Rotella syn....a semi or pseudo synthetic....

I think Delvac 1 and Amsoil set the standard.
[/quote]
Dr. Evil,
Could you (or Lightman) tell me where you got your info? Valvoline web site claims its a full synthetic.

http://www.valvolinehd.com/light/blue2000.html

"This full-synthetic engine oil gives all the protection of 15W oils, at a 5W40 rating. "

The Boss Hog
(Extreme Blue since 20k )
Old 12-11-2003, 07:06 PM

Mr. Hog,

My statement is answering the question that was asked...which was "Is Valvoline Extreme Blue a true level 4 synthetic? " To which I responded that I believe it is a Group 3. FYI, just because an oil says its "fully Synthetic" does NOT mean that its a true group 4 synthetic.

I looked at the link, and while it says its made from syn basestocks, it doesnt mention anything about being a Group 4, or even which base stocks it uses. If it actually was a Group 4 dont ya think they'd be advertising that fact, just like the other companies do???

I still stand by my statement that Delvac 1 and Amsoil are the standard when comparing oils.

Lightman, u know a lot more than I do - care to comment???
Old 12-11-2003, 07:41 PM

There was a large court case a number of years ago regarding syn oil, and I believe the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) gave permisson for oil makers to use the term "full synthetic" in its advertisements if the oil basestock met a certain criteria for "synthetic-ness" (my word) even though the oil wasn't a pure synthetic. I think thats why you see the "FULL SYNTHETIC" hype on the Group III's.

I believe only the Group IV's fall into that pure synthetic classification. I agree, M1/D1, Amsoil (all but one I think) and Redlines are the real deal.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:37 PM

This is the Oil I use now. It is awesome for cold climates. Pour point of -51 deg C should meet most peoples needs! It is also a group IV synthetic oil made from 100% synthetic base oil. It costs about $20 (canadian) per 4 liter jug which is about 35% cheaper than Mobil 1 Delvac 1 oil around here.

www.jdoil.com
Old 12-11-2003, 09:28 PM

I don't see a problem with the Extreme from Valvoline.......Cummins wouldn't be recommending it if was no good........and my god I can't believe the comments over oil prices......if you could afford to buy this truck you sure ought to be able to buy the oil without worrying over $.50 cents or so?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:30 PM

[quote author=Hairy1 link=board=20;threadid=23603;start=0#msg222396 date=1071199687]
I don't see a problem with the Extreme from Valvoline.......Cummins wouldn't be recommending it if was no good........and my god I can't believe the comments over oil prices......if you could afford to buy this truck you sure ought to be able to buy the oil without worrying over $.50 cents or so?
[/quote]

Who said that the Extreme stuff is no good???? I didnt see that statement anywhere....

50 cents???.....FYI, Delvac 1 is $36 a GALLON + tax + enviro fee.....were not talking about 50 cents....were talking about $110+ for an oil change (not including the filter) and thats if I do it myself.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:39 PM

So?
We are the ones that had to have the BIG Cummins so now we have to pay the piper if you want good stuff for your truck......what else can you do?
$.50 was only a pun about money?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:51 PM

Hairy, this is getting way off topic......

I dont mind spending money for oil.....but, I definitely want to get the best bang for my buck.....there are oils (also group 4)that are close to the Delvac that dont cost as much.

Back to the original topic.... the fact remains that if you are going to use a group 3 synthetic (Rotella T syn & others), you may as well go with a premium dino oil (Delvac 1300, Delo 400, Rotella T, etc.) They tend to be equal to the group 3's and better in some areas and are cheaper....
Old 12-11-2003, 10:00 PM

Folks lets not forget to notice that dr evil is in Canada, and those prices are Canadian dollars. Delvac 1 is around $18-20/gal here in the states.

Bulabula is correct about the lawsuit. Rotella syn, valvoline extreme, syntec, etc are all 'allowed' to call themselves synthetics because of the court ruling. Extreme is a group 3, which is a 'mostly' synthetic oil. They start out as a petroleum base. The premium group IV synthetics are 100% PAO/Ester synthetic base.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:18 PM

Where is Delvac-1 sold for $18? The cheapest I've seen it is for $26. Seriously -- I'll switch for $18. Right now I'm running Valvoline Prem.Blue Extreme for $16 -- like it a lot better than Rotella synthetic. BTW -- Valvoline does claim that all components of the oil, base stocks, additives, etc., are 100% true synthetic, no dino at all. But they do not say that it's a group IV PAO/ester. So. . . ???
Old 12-12-2003, 07:51 AM

[quote author=Dr. Evil link=board=20;threadid=23603;start=0#msg222306 date=1071191174]
Mr. Hog,

My statement is answering the question that was asked...which was "Is Valvoline Extreme Blue a true level 4 synthetic? " To which I responded that I believe it is a Group 3. FYI, just because an oil says its "fully Synthetic" does NOT mean that its a true group 4 synthetic.

I looked at the link, and while it says its made from syn basestocks, it doesnt mention anything about being a Group 4, or even which base stocks it uses. If it actually was a Group 4 dont ya think they'd be advertising that fact, just like the other companies do???

I still stand by my statement that Delvac 1 and Amsoil are the standard when comparing oils.

Lightman, u know a lot more than I do - care to comment???
[/quote]

Mr. Evil,
Answering a question with a question may, in some circles, be an effective debating technique but it does nothing to resolve the original question.

Lightman,
You have stated twice that Valvoline Extreme Blue is a Group III oil. I have been unable to find any specific information or report that states it is Group III or Group IV. As I am interested using a true Group IV, I would appreciate it if you could tell me where you got your information.

The Boss Hog
(Hoping to learn . . )
Old 12-12-2003, 08:22 AM

If all else fails call Valvoline Tech line..........I am right now will post their answer

Quick Reply: Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme oil??