3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Using First Gear w/6speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I can tell, 1st gear is there for decorative purposes only.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:03 AM

Thanks for all the help on this one....Yep, it looks like I was doing it all wrong. Today on the way to work didn't touch the throttle and the beast just motored away as smooth as silk. Seems kinda counter-intuitive to NOT get on the throttle in a second gear start with a huge truck but it worked fine...Thanks, I was dreaming up all sorts of nasty problems in my head on this one...rob in maine
Old 05-27-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by DaHammer
Thanks for all the help on this one....Yep, it looks like I was doing it all wrong. Today on the way to work didn't touch the throttle and the beast just motored away as smooth as silk. Seems kinda counter-intuitive to NOT get on the throttle in a second gear start with a huge truck but it worked fine...Thanks, I was dreaming up all sorts of nasty problems in my head on this one...rob in maine
Yeah tell me about it. When I picked up my truck it took a while to get used to. Now when I drive a regular gasser car, I wind up stalling because I forget to bring up the revs before releasing the clutch.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:30 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
I never use first or touch the throttle when starting off and it's real smooth. The only time I use first gear is when I have a load, in heavy stop and go traffic, starting on a really steep hill or pulling stumps. Even pulling stumps I never touch the throttle.
There are a zillion speed bumps in my area and I go over them in third gear and that pulls the engine rpm's down to 500 or 600 rpm. Without touching the throttle the rpm smoothly comes back to 800 in about a second or two and then I accelerate.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:21 PM

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the ECM brings up the RPM automatically as you let out the clutch, if you don't touch the go pedal. A great feature if you have a load and you are on a hill. My wife really finds it easy to drive with this feature.

Without a load, I always start in second.

jr
Old 05-27-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Mexstan There are a zillion speed bumps in my area and I go over them in third gear and that pulls the engine rpm's down to 500 or 600 rpm. Without touching the throttle the rpm smoothly comes back to 800 in about a second or two and then I accelerate.
That's brings up a question I have... as mentioned above, you can darn near come to a stop in third and then easily accelerate away, although the engine does seem to be lugging somewhat, or at least what I would call lugging if it were a gas engine. I believe the definition of lugging is when opening the throttle at a low speed produces no acceleration, but since the Cummins will easily accelerate away at 500 rpm in third (with an empty truck), am I lugging the engine? It kind of feels like I am, but then again this is a different type of engine than I am used to...
Old 05-27-2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by bigsam
Kindog, did you notice any MPG change going to the BFG 315s?
I am leaning to these as soon as I wear out the stock Mich. tires
This is one I haven't really figured out yet. I didn't get my speedometer recalibrated, so everything's off...odometer, trip computer, and gas mileage. I'm going to do a hand calc on this tank by adding 9.1% to my mileage and then looking at the fillup capacity. So far, though, it seems to be about the same on the highway, and maybe 1-2 less city (2 if driving hard - which is difficult NOT to do in these trucks).
Old 05-27-2004, 03:12 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
smiller, no I don't think this is lugging the engine because it only takes a second or two to come up to speed on it's own. Now, if I floored it while it was at 500 rpm and in third, then that I would consider lugging. Remember, at engine speeds below about 1000 rpm the turbo is barely turning so the egt should not increase, specially as it is only for about 3 seconds max.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Mexstan
smiller, no I don't think this is lugging the engine because it only takes a second or two to come up to speed on it's own. Now, if I floored it while it was at 500 rpm and in third, then that I would consider lugging. Remember, at engine speeds below about 1000 rpm the turbo is barely turning so the egt should not increase, specially as it is only for about 3 seconds max.
OK. But I wasn't worried about EGT, rather about excessive load on engine bearings.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:38 PM

I start in second if not pulling and if I'm pointing downhill and can roll a little I'll start in third.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:05 PM

i start in # 2 with my six speed. I know its a second gen, and has a little bit taller gears in the rear,(3.55) but its still a six shooter. I just let out on the clutch and let the low end torque of the mighty cummins do its work
Old 05-28-2004, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With my 2-wheel drive Ram 3500 SRW with 3.73s, I:

75% start off in 1st
18% start off in 2nd
2% of the time start off in neutral

Vaughn
Old 05-28-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watching a friend's 2003 3500 SRW HO with an auto it seems that it keeps the revs above 1400 or so.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by 1sttruck
Watching a friend's 2003 3500 SRW HO with an auto it seems that it keeps the revs above 1400 or so.
Interesting observation. Think this might be a worthy goal for those of us who row through the gears?

jr
Old 05-29-2004, 12:57 AM

Re: Using First Gear w/6speed

Originally posted by DaHammer
I dunno, maybe it is the way I drive but...I read that most with the 6 speed start off in 2nd. When I do it, I get a little bit of shudder...When I start in 1st...it is smooth as silk. Of course 2nd comes up REAL quick but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. The owners manual says to use all six...I have had manual trannies most of the time and I *think* I know what I'm doing...Anyone else have a shudder starting in 2nd? Thanks BTW, did I mention that this truck simply R-O-C-K-S ???
Towing my 15000 5er on flat ground, I can start in second with no pedal and routinely start in 3rd unloaded. Are you sure you don't have a 3.73 (in the glovebox).

Most times I only use 3 of the 6--either 3-5-6 or 2-4-6 or variations while unloading. You do not have to use all 6.

Quick Reply: Using First Gear w/6speed