3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Unusual tire wear - why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:40 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Unusual tire wear - why?

The right front tire on my truck is wearing excessively only on the outside. The left side is wearing the same both sides. Ball joints and tie rod ends are all good. As far as I know the alignment is good too. Carli suggests that toe-in be more than the Dodge specs and that is what it is set at.
A slow, full lock turn on smooth concrete will cause the tires to squeal slightly.

Jacked the truck up with the jack very close to the tire (the suspension was not hanging) and cannot detect any looseness anywhere. Wheel bearings are fine (double taper roller bearings) A crowbar under the wheel did not show any movement in the ball joints.
Any suggestions as to what is causing this unusual wear?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My 08 does the same thing. I only use 1 front-end guy for alinements. He has tried numerous settings, but no luck. I've just got to the point of rotating the fronts every so often to equal out the wear. Also has all new front parts...
Old 06-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey Stan,

My 06 is the same. Here is a link to a thread I just started about a week ago https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...e-t317866.html
I still have not found any real issues. All seems to be tight. I am in need of new tires and as soon as I put them on I will take it to an alignment shop to get checked out. I have 125k on mine (mostly highway) and am still stumped.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Stan, I have been seeing this same issue on 3/4 and 1 tons since then94 model year. I have never found a fix, or a setting that will cure it. the only thing I have found, is keep your tire rotated properly. if you don't, as the rears wear down, it accelerates the shoulder wear on the right front.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:01 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The steering box is starting to leak, so soon will change that and then go for another steering alignment.

I know that it is not recommended to switch tires from left to right, but why not if the tires do not have a directional arrow on them? The reason I am asking is that I have two different brands of tires on the truck. Yokohama's on the rear and BFG's on the front. If I am going to wear out tires fast, would rather wear out the BFG's by swapping left to right.

The first set of tires did not wear like this, so something has obviously changed. But what?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
"I know that it is not recommended to switch tires from left to right, " why not? i have done it on all of my vehicles every rotation
Old 06-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the problem was toe in, then it would be both tires.

In theory, the only thing that causes inside or outside tire wear on one side only, without cupping, is incorrect camber.

In the olden days, when radial tires were a new thing, it was recommended that once tires had rotated in one direction you should swap them side to side. The steel radial belts/cords would rotate in the carcass, and then quickly destroy the tire from within.

That was the olden days. Now you should rotate side to side for more even wear.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the same problem and went for a four wheel alignment that fixed the problem now the tires where evenly!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey I thought I was having a de ja vu. But I coudn't find my post

Stan, my front right does the same thing on the outer edge. I just try to keep them rotated short at 5k. But this round they're only at 3k but the rounding on it seems more prominent than before. Wonder if it has anything to do with their age & mileage. They will be 5yrs in Nov and currently have almost 29k.

I blame it on play in the steering linkage. There's just too much flex under motion.