3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ultra low sulfur fuel solutions ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I buy TCW3 at WalMart (Super Tech brand) in 1 gallon containers for around $8.
Can't say what the long term effects will be for the cat, since I don't have one. But TCW3 should burn cleanly.

MikeyB
Old 09-22-2006, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have often wondered about just adding some low ash 2 cycle oil to the tank it seems like a good idea to me . How much would you mix per tank full ? I just do not see a pint doing much but I could be wrong . My thinking is a pint to a gallon of gas so with over 30 gallons of diesel it would be mighty thin . Gas is a corrosive and diesel was a lubricant not as much now apparently but still has a lot more than gas . That the trouble I have with 2 cycle , it is kind of a shot in the dark as far as mixture goes . Putting to much in I don't think would cause any harm except to the wallet and maybe , I think a slim chance the kitty . You would think all the additive seller would be jumping all over this and creating a panic if there was even a little problem . I guess that has got we wondering more then anything , but I am going to add something just in case .
Old 09-22-2006, 02:27 PM

The Las Vegas area Bosch Representative, annually, gives a seminar at May Madness on our Bosch fuel delivery systems.

Last year ('05), he "highly recommended" using a fuel additive that included lubricity. Since CA. has been using & distributing, to the Western States, ULSD, both his store & Bosch Hdqt's. had noticed a big increase in damaged systems that could be attributed to the ULSD & its lack of lubricity.

He sells Stanadyne products & highly recommended them to help protect our systems from the damage. He said that if we don't want to use Stanadyne, "at least use something".

Another thing he mentioned was that if we didn't need anything other than "lubricity", to use the Stanadyne Lubricity Formula. It goes farther & is cheaper, to use.

Interestingly enough, at this years seminar, he made no mention of the importance of adding lubricity to the fuel. So, after the seminar, I asked him whether additive was still needed. He said that they now do not see the damaged systems like they did the year before & assumed that the fuel refiners are now adding enough additive to protect the fuel delivery systems.

Just to be on the safe side, I'm still using additives. We have no way of knowing what condition the fuel we are buying, is in.

Regarding the article by Bruce Mallinson & the information provided by "Joe" from Stanadyne, I THANK those that posted this information. Mr. Mallinson has been in the Diesel Industry for many years & is well-informed, in my opinion. I've read many of his articles & found them interesting & informative. He relayed, to us, a problem he found & (one) solution, to that problem.

I, for one, appreciate knowing of an impending problem & a possible solution to it. Yes, they may, both, be selling a product but, if it corrects the problem, terriffic!!! I'm glad to know about "the fix".

For 49 years, I've "sold" my time, services, knowledge & products, for profit. To the best of my knowledge, the vast majority of those that purchased what I had to offer were happy with my performance. Isn't that what almost all of us are doing?

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Joe F.(Buffalo) and DDahl:

I want to thank both of you for your input on this thread! Buffalo, it is good to hear that alot of the same things I have heard on this ULSD and the ULSD additives, you heard also! I am like you, I don't want to take any chances.
BTW, I agree with you on Bruce Mallinson. He is a very knowledgable guy on these diesel engines and has been in this business for many years.

Thanks again to both of you!

-------
John_P
Old 09-23-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John Halter
I have often wondered about just adding some low ash 2 cycle oil to the tank it seems like a good idea to me . How much would you mix per tank full ? I just do not see a pint doing much but I could be wrong . My thinking is a pint to a gallon of gas so with over 30 gallons of diesel it would be mighty thin . Gas is a corrosive and diesel was a lubricant not as much now apparently but still has a lot more than gas . That the trouble I have with 2 cycle , it is kind of a shot in the dark as far as mixture goes . Putting to much in I don't think would cause any harm except to the wallet and maybe , I think a slim chance the kitty . You would think all the additive seller would be jumping all over this and creating a panic if there was even a little problem . I guess that has got we wondering more then anything , but I am going to add something just in case .
Right now I'm running 16oz per tank. Alternating with Power Service Diesel Kleen.

MikeyB
Old 09-23-2006, 07:49 AM

One thing I like about the 2 cycle is less mess in the cab , I can buy 16oz bottles and throw them out when I fill up . No mater how careful I am with the Power Service I end up with the smell in the cab from pouring it in . It sure would be nice if someone came up with away of mounting a tank like my four wheeler that would automatically add the right amount and all we would do is fill the tank every couple of months . Thanks for the reply MickyB on the amount of 2 cycle you use it gives me a place to start and I like the idea of switching back and forth .