3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ultra low sulfur fuel solutions ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 02:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RollOver Pete
Not intended to be an infomercail. I don't sell stuff for a hobby or living. Arn't those (infomercial) on late-night, real real early-morning anyways? I'll call it info, but you can call it what you want....
We know YOU"RE not selling anything, but it sure SOUNDS like Bruce is....

Information + Commercial = Infomercial

Educational and Profitable - it's the American way!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I quit reading the article right about when he stated something about lose of sulfer lubricating sulfer lubricates nothing.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wulfdiesel
Until Cummins comes out and says otherwise I would'nt worry about running just pump fuel. Cummins designed these engines to run for the prescribed rate of time and they says ULSD will be fine as long as it is high quality(I get mine from Commercial fueling stations).
My truck runs strong and quiet without a spec of additive in it. And i put on about 800 miles a week.
This is Cummins' take on it:

"ULSD fuel is backwards compatible, and can be used in all engines."

good read here> http://list.priceweber.com/cummins/td/ulsd.html

The manufacturers have known that ULSD was coming for years. It is not news to them. Buy good quality, fresh fuel and you will be fine. I run about a half a bottle of Power Service silver in every tank.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by bluebull
I quit reading the article right about when he stated something about lose of sulfer lubricating sulfer lubricates nothing.
I read the whole thing to get an idea of how much water Bruce was carrying for Mr. Lucas... quite a bit - boots are required!

The technical explanations were entertaining though - my 10 year old would've thought I was an idiot if I said that stuff with a straight face.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 AM

There is a serious issue here. Bosch stated that common rail and rotary pump systems were really impacted by lubrication quality of the fuel. They insisted that the standard be set ideally at 320. However, the US standard was set at 580 (wear scar). This standard dramatically increases the wear rate on common rail systems. I had a few conversations with an individual at Power Service and was advised that a double dose of white or silver (one quart per 50 gallons) would bring 600 rated fuel down below the levels that Bosch was wanting. Bosch makes our injection systems. They appear to be worried. We should be too!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
RollOver Pete:

Unlike some of the members here, I want to thank you for posting that article!
FYI, I also have a 1996 Dodge CTD that is heavily modified and had planned to use an additive for some of the reasons your article brings out. IMO,..the older P-7100 Fuel Pumps will be more prone to damage than say the newer VP-44 or CP-3's in the CR Trucks. As I also said in my earlier post, there is ALOT of controversy on this ULSD and as the saying goes; "to each his own."

---------
tacook:

I was wondering how long it would take a member here to make the comment you made about Joe and Stanadyne. For the record, if you will go back to my post, I said that Joe commented "that ANY of the other manafacturers of the ULSD fuel additives such as those mentioned in this post (Lucas, Power Service etc.) would be good choices." At no time did I say Joe wanted any of you to run his additive "tacook!"

FWIW, I have seen a bottle of this ULSD fuel held up against the older 500PPM Diesel Fuel and there is alot of difference between the two fuels.
The "oily" consistency that has normally been in diesel fuel is just not there!
Also, Dodge and Cummins have had many complaints and warranty issues with leaking CP-3 Pumps on the Dodge Cummins CR trucks over the last two years or so. And that is with the older 500PPM fuel. These leaky CP-3 Pumps have certainly been well documented on this website.

--------
John_P
Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 AM

Thanks for all the reply's but I got to admit I am still confused maybe worse now . I did go out and got some additive , my feeling is better safe then sorry and down the road if we see no problem I am not out much . With three diesel tractors a motor home and my trucks additives will add up but they are still cheaper then one pump . Being broke down along the road at the mercy of the local mechanic is just to frightening to take a chance for me . The over the road truckers should have the right answer for us real soon , I guess we wait and see.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:38 AM

Don't worry about it; use your favorite additive and let's see what happens to the injection systems good, bad or nothing....

I mean, it's not like we have a bunch of options, here!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:40 AM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=58736

The link above is to a post I made before the 580 standard was adopted. It links to a presentation by Bosch to CARB on the lubrication issues of diesel in our engines (common rail and rotary pump). The injection damage that US standard of 580 wear scar fuel will cause (pictures shown) looks to be quite serious.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:48 AM

So does the quart of silver PS I add to each 50 gallons bring the number below the Bosch 320 standard?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 AM

That's what I was told. You could contact Power Service yourself and see what story you get. However, the info I got was based on before and after test with fuel in the Chicago area 640 before and 320 or less after a double dose (50 gallons per quart).
Old 09-22-2006, 11:08 AM

I'm adding non-detergent 30 wt oil. 16 ounces at every fillup costs about $1.00. 2 stroke is good also but might plug up the cat (if you have one) at some point. Non-detergent motor oil will add BTUs and burn completely. I agree that diesel is expensive enough and I'm not buying expensive additives. I never saw a mileage gain with PS/MMO, but I'm seeming a small mileage gain with the non-detergent oil. I hear you can buy 2 or 5 gallons at a time at the tractor supply outfits which would make it even cheaper.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only problem I have with ND30w oil is the ash content. That will leave a deposit. I was using 30w but now using TCW3 two stroke mixture oil which is ashless.

MikeyB
Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DDahl
That's what I was told. You could contact Power Service yourself and see what story you get. However, the info I got was based on before and after test with fuel in the Chicago area 640 before and 320 or less after a double dose (50 gallons per quart).
Great! I'm already protected...
Old 09-22-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Only problem I have with ND30w oil is the ash content. That will leave a deposit. I was using 30w but now using TCW3 two stroke mixture oil which is ashless.

MikeyB
MikeyB, where do you buy it, and how much is it? What about long term effects on a cat, doesn't look like your truck has one.

Quick Reply: ultra low sulfur fuel solutions ?