3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

U-Joints shot, advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 02:46 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
U-Joints shot, advice please.

Yesterday during a short trip I started to hear a rumble type of sound, but only against compression. Today it is worse and most noticeable dropping down thru 60 mph. No vibration, only the noise. I jacked up the rear wheels and spun them up to 100 mph and let them spool down. Sure enough, the rumble was noticeable from outside. Crawled underneath and turned the driveshaft slowly and heard a squeaking sound. On closer examination I noticed the rubber seal from one of the rear needle bearings was hanging down. The bearings on the rear u-joint, especially one, are noticeably hotter then the pumpkin. No noticeable play anywhere, but guess that means my u-joint(s) is shot. There are 54,600 miles on the truck.
Now, there is where I need advice. I presume that these u-joints are still under warranty. Is that correct? Even if they are, I may have a problem with the local dealer here in central Mexico. Unfortunately I have no plans to go north of the border until about mid September and I am not sure I dare drive that long with bad u-joints. Of course I could disconnect the rear drive shaft and go in 4hi, but don't really want to do that.
I did a search but can't find a definitive answer to my question, which is, what are the best u-joints available to use for the replacement? I could of course have the dealer install OEM parts, but is that the best route? Are the after market u-joint kits better? If I had the parts I could do the job myself.
There are a couple of other factors to consider. In the rainy season here I drive thru a LOT of water, so greasable u-joints would be a plus. Another factor is that I am far from the usual after market parts stores, so if I use an after market kit, then I would have to call the store in the US and have them ship it to me via courier, but this is not a big deal. Idealy I would be able to give them the part numbers. There is a new Auto Zone store that has just opened here, but have not been in yet and do not know if they have the same stock as the US stores.
Can anyone suggest a better alternative to the OEM u-joints? If I go after market I would prefer to have the greasable kind. So, I am looking for brand names and part numbers please. If I replace the rear u-joints on the rear drive shaft, I may as well replace the front one as well, so need part numbers for front and back kits for the rear drive shaft. The front drive shaft u-joints so far appear to be OK.
When I did a search I noticed that some trucks had three u-joints on the rear drive shaft. Mine only has two. Why do some have three? Do some trucks have a center bearing?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spicer makes a very good greasable U-Joint.

Autozone should carry them as well.

Give your local one a call, can't hurt to at least ask.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:10 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Thanks. Any idea what these kits cost? Would like to have an idea before I go to AutoZone or anywhere else in case they try and rip me off.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can't be much. i had the front and rear u-joint replaced in may with two spicer greasable u-joints. the shop charged around 80.00 bucks-that was for the u-joints and labor!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:17 AM

Spicer, Neapco, or precision are all good brands or at least used to be.
Just make sure they are U.S. made and greasable . Precision has an application guide on their website.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:56 AM

Rockauto.com has the best deal on Precision greasable u-joints
Old 07-27-2006, 11:27 PM

just canged mine(axle u-joints) used napa gresable and they pressed them in and out.o ya life time garentee on parts.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:22 AM

Location: Eagle, Idaho. Please set your watch back 20 years when entering.
NAPA part number is Precision 351. I paid about $54 for the pair at my local NAPA store. Looks like they are a little more on the web. They are greasable and you can do it yourself. Access to a press will make it MUCH easier.

NAPA PUJ 351

Good Luck

100 Proof
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 PM

That is about the same mileage that I lost all 3 in the DS, just before 70k I lost the front drivers side axle joint
dealer replaced the ds ones, but couldn't get the one out of the axle, so it's still there, squeaking for the last 50k miles
Old 07-29-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rob_OBX
That is about the same mileage that I lost all 3 in the DS, just before 70k I lost the front drivers side axle joint
dealer replaced the ds ones, but couldn't get the one out of the axle, so it's still there, squeaking for the last 50k miles
So they could not get the one out of the PS drive axle and just left it to blow?
That would be real bad, I have seen them go on the trails and take out the ball joints and let the tire and everthing fall of.
I would get it changed if it is bad.
Why could they not change it?
Jon
Old 07-29-2006, 05:32 PM

U joints

I just bought the two rear drive shaft (Precision #295 $15.97) & the front axle set (#464 $33.89) from www.rockauto.com They are greasable.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by MR. GADGET
So they could not get the one out of the PS drive axle and just left it to blow?
That would be real bad, I have seen them go on the trails and take out the ball joints and let the tire and everthing fall of.
I would get it changed if it is bad.
Why could they not change it?
Jon

It still has not blown, but it binds, grinds, squeaks etc. They agreed it needed to be changed. They took it in (2 years ago) and made a lame attempt to change it. They beat the bejesus out of my rotor with a sledge hammer to get it off. Then couldn't get the hub and bearing assembly off, so they wanted me to pay for new pads, rotors, and hub and bearing assemblies to change bad u joints... and wanted several hundred $$$$ to do it. I said hell no. So they put it back together with the beat to hell rotors and gave me back my truck.
I took it home to do it myself and saw the destroyed rotors and about had a cow They were seriously pounded on, huge indents and just pulverized. I wish I knew how to post a picture, I still have them in my webshots album.

They ended up giving me new rotors and sent me on my way. Be glas you live in Raleigh, not Charlotte... Dodge dealer on South Blvd at 485 in CHarlotte.

Last edited by Rob_OBX; 07-29-2006 at 07:14 PM. Reason: adding more