3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Turbo problem finally resolved..Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:46 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo problem finally resolved..Thanks!!

Thanks to you guys I finally got my turbo changed. (See “Update on horrible noise” 06-08-07). Many thanks!!! Four years old and 63490 miles. Yes, they wanted $100 bucks plus tax so I spent time waving my warranty book around while they were pointing at their computer print out. Thanks to your experiences, I left without paying anything!! Not to thrash our dealer, they were not too bad about it even though they are currently going through some hard financial problems and only have one diesel mechanic.
From the day I dropped it off, it took 16 days to get the turbo changed due to parts goof-ups (I guess).
Thanks again. I would have kept driving for another year until the blades were totally gone if it hadn’t been for your input after my prior posts.

Now for another question. My new turbo installation looks weird or different in some way but I cant tell what it is because I don’t have a picture of the original install. Cant tell if the clamps (my original problem) are different or if it’s the oil line or what. Does anybody have a picture of an original stock 2003 installed turbo or ideas? This picture is of my new (rebuilt) turbo. Thanks for your time guys!!§
Old 06-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It looks like they installed a new elbow, clamps, oil feed line, studs, and bolts, looks like they did a fine job. I am not sure if the 03 trucks came with an exhaust elbow? Or the new turbo came with the 4" outlet instead of the 3.5" outlet?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Looks like the clamps are orientated differently to me. They must have loosened them up to clock the turbo for some reason. It wont hurt anything.

I would however readjust that intercooler clamp (yourself) at the outlet of the turbo to put some hose meat behind it so it doesnt blow off. Just looks way too close to the turbo side.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:03 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Thanks to you both for the input. The outlet sort of seems larger and the clamps do seem to be pointed a different direction. Must be what seems different. Wish I would have taken a picture prior to taking it in and after 16 days in the shop I just cant remember what it looked like. I hope to flag somebody down with an 03 someday to compair. The mechanic said I would notice a big improvement with all of the blades but I really dont notice a difference. I must be slow. Time to install some gauges I guess. Main thing is, hopefully, I wont hear that horrible noise anymore.