3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck went crazy yesterday, has anybody else seen this???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck went crazy yesterday, has anybody else seen this???

Yesterday I was taking off at a redlight. I went from 1st to 2nd like normal. Yes I take off in 1st. In the mountains its much easier on the clutch with 35 inch tires. When I went to 3rd gear, it was like I was a full throttle and dumped the clutch. It did the same in 4th. The engine sounded like it was spark knocking. There was heavy black smoke blowing 6 feet out the sides of the truck. The throttle was extremely touchy. It would set me back in the seat even when I would barely touch it. I still had normal boost pressure. My Quad box was set on 60 hp. I pulled over and shut the truck off. Tried to start it back. It wouldn't start. Then I let it sit for a few minutes and it started back fine. No funny noise. No excessive smoke. Then later on in the day I got a dead peddle for about 3 seconds. Has anybody else had this happen?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:49 PM

I would have you box checked out by Quad. It can't hurt, anyway.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by SolarYellow05
Yesterday I was taking off at a redlight. I went from 1st to 2nd like normal. Yes I take off in 1st. In the mountains its much easier on the clutch with 35 inch tires. When I went to 3rd gear, it was like I was a full throttle and dumped the clutch. It did the same in 4th. The engine sounded like it was spark knocking. There was heavy black smoke blowing 6 feet out the sides of the truck. The throttle was extremely touchy. It would set me back in the seat even when I would barely touch it. I still had normal boost pressure. My Quad box was set on 60 hp. I pulled over and shut the truck off. Tried to start it back. It wouldn't start. Then I let it sit for a few minutes and it started back fine. No funny noise. No excessive smoke. Then later on in the day I got a dead peddle for about 3 seconds. Has anybody else had this happen?
I has the same thing happen to me the other day. im running the quad. i was going to get fuel because i was very low and before i got to the gas station i usually go to it freaked out. accelerated very quickly on its own. threw me in the seat. so i pulled into the nearest station thinking it was the fuel. put a few gallons in it and unplugged the quad.went to my usual gas station and ran fine. filled up and plugged the box back in and it hasnt done it since. i thought it was fuel i dont know. thats wierd.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:42 PM

I haven't had anything like that happen, but today my truck decided to turn the windshield wipers on while driving down a straight road. I've accidently hit them while using my turnsignal, but I hadn't touched that for miles. Sometimes I think my vehicles just like to mess with me... your's might be trying to kill you . You better find a fix, or baby it more . Hope you figure out what caused it!

Nick
Old 07-07-2006, 04:29 PM

When I was running the Quad box, I had some issues with my truck such as power surges and not able to start it back up after shutdown. Took the box off and no problems since.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Banned

ok, here is what i went through and what i have done to cure it. if you have the latest flash from quad ensure that the tps(purple) wire is NOT plugged in, the latest flash gets a demand signal from the f/p sensor.

where did you mount the module? i had originally mounted it to the brake switch module above the pedals. lots of times it would go nuts. then roarke from quad suggested i hang it on the console so i could look at the leds on the module when it misbehaved. it did not do anything wrong for 2 weeks. so i remounted it next to the steering column as far from anything electronic as i could, and 2k miles and 2 months later. no problems whatsoever. try it. i think electronic interference is an issue. some folks have talked about modules going nuts when the cb is keyed.

also give quad a pm and ask his opinion.
good luck
Old 07-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Chapter President

Dodgezilla,

I do have the latest flash from quad. I never had any problems until I got the new flash. I do not have a TPS wire. My box is mounted on the parking brake pedal bracket. I will try moving it up as far as I can and see what that does. I'll also pm Quad and see what he thinks. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:01 PM
CWK

I had a quad on my truck that clatter and made engine noises, after quad kept telling me it was my truck I took it off and tried an edge now no problems what so ever . Engine runs much queiter and smoother now.