3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck terrible in snow/ wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try putting some weight in the bed, at least 700 lbs. Least expensive idea.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't know about original poster, but i have a lumber rack, canopy, and tool boxes mounted to the bed that must total over 1,000lbs easy. helped the problem but not solved...
Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i thought someone posted you have to hold the foot brake to cause the LSD to "lockUP" or something goofy. someone smarter will correct me.

but for the OP, I would make sure the 4wd is workting.
the front wheels should pull you out, i would guess.

will a Locker from a Power Wagon not fit our front axles?

we had a Rubicon with Air Lockers, that was more fun than a box of puppies.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04ctd
i thought someone posted you have to hold the foot brake to cause the LSD to "lockUP" or something goofy. someone smarter will correct me.

but for the OP, I would make sure the 4wd is workting.
the front wheels should pull you out, i would guess.

will a Locker from a Power Wagon not fit our front axles?

we had a Rubicon with Air Lockers, that was more fun than a box of puppies.
The LSD is automatic nothing you can do to make it work better.
The locker from the Power Wagon will not work because of the gear size.
I know exactly what the OP is talking about with wheel hop. The truck can go threw the snow but the rear is jumping so much that you have to keep letting off the throtal because of the bouncing. My 06 Dually was terrible in snow because of the wheel hop. I put 22.5's on and problum went away. the truck tires must be to heavy to bounce
Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd

Yes, that technique works pretty well. The stock diff is a limited slip - not a no slip or locker. If you get one wheel on ice, or in the air, you can get one spinning despite the LSD. A little bit of brake pressure - not much, just a little - will make the diff think it's getting traction, and transfer some torque to the good side.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by jballou
Try putting some weight in the bed, at least 700 lbs. Least expensive idea.
I agree, if it dose fix your wheel hope then you have saved yourself money.

I have never had an issue with wheel hop since I have owned my 03.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:21 AM

Last winter my truck hopped like the easter bunny every time it got near snow, in 4x4 or not. This past summer I made some ladder bars like the ones Lazer smith sells, and what do you know, this winter I have ZERO hop.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I solved my wheel hop problem by moving from Minnesota to North Carolina
Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 AM

Weird....my truck has SOME wheel hop but I've always been pretty happy with the 4-wheel drive capabilities considering it's a 3/4 ton diesel with stock "highway tread" tires. I've been in plenty of snow and ice, and the truck always goes where I ask it to.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:07 PM

I see some of the Ladder bars that some are using and have heard about wear issues not to mention the initial cost.

A friend of mine tried the Hellwig traction springs and they helped but did not eliminate it.

What about standard traction bars?

Truck terrible in snow/ wheel hop-traction-bars.jpg
Old 02-14-2009, 03:43 PM

Unless you have changed suspensions/tires etc or really you have not driven where others that experience wheel-hop. It there, big time, worst pickup I have had with this issue. I run with few GMs, Fords in some nasty stuff and mine is embarrassing.

Dodge knows this is an issue, when you bring it up they won't even allow dealer techs to troubleshoot the problem. This comes from the Regional Reps. SO IT IS, AN ISSUE. The primary cause it the long leaf springs, attempting to please those individuals who want a Car Like Ride. I initallly though it was the AAM anti-lock and was going to remove it but my Dealer let me take a few different trucks out and let me test them. Doesn't seem to make any difference, 2by, 4 by, 1500 etc. actually the 2500 seem SLIGHTLY less prone, compared to the other.

Yes, less air pressure, weight, clamps on front or back of springs will help SOME. Bars are probably the only real solution. I have installed Rancho 9000 when I dial them up to highest setting it helps. At least then I can FOLLOW the GM & Fords down through the 2-tracks and backwoods.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by hivoltage
Weird....my truck has SOME wheel hop but I've always been pretty happy with the 4-wheel drive capabilities considering it's a 3/4 ton diesel with stock "highway tread" tires. I've been in plenty of snow and ice, and the truck always goes where I ask it to.

I agree. I have always been very happy with the performance of my truck in the snow. As long as the tires are in good shape I've never had an issue. With either the 07 or my 97. I do get some wheel hop, but it's not bad. Someday i'll get some tractions bars to get rid of it completely.
Will
Old 02-14-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am pleased with the performance of my truck in the snow as well but do occasionally experience wheel hop but every truck I've driven does also to a certain extent. If its really an issue the best cure is simply traction bars which I plan to get in the near future.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:18 PM

These trucks are OK on the road with a few inches of snow, but get in about 6” of snow off road with a bit of an incline and you are done. The first time it happened to me I thought I was going to destroy the drive train and get bounced out the window.

I put on some “el-cheepo” traction bars and clamped the front of the springs, but it still bounces a bit. I was saving up for some of those Glacier bars, but he stopped making them.

I don’t like the whole single bar, “binding” setups, so I’m SOL for now. I know flame me; I might have to go with a set for many other vehicles will embarrass these trucks in the snow, or sand for that matter.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:15 AM

My truck had wheel hop in the sand, and would "wash board" the roads around my farm pretty bad. I added the Kore mini pack to the rear, and the axle hop is not near as bad, it's almost gone. I'm really hoping it will take care of the wash board roads too.

It's pretty sad when you have to hit 4x4 on a gravel road just to try and keep the wash boarding to a minimum.

Quick Reply: Truck terrible in snow/ wheel hop