3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck sits, starts rough, rattley ticking noise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My hard starting after sitting more than 24 hours has nothing to do with temperature. Has only to do with sitting for a while, and the longer it sits the worse it starts. When my truck sits outside, it is just as cold after 12 hours sitting in the wind as it is after 24, 36, or 1 week at the same temp. It started around 10-12K miles, and it was still 70 degrees out then. I also have been around diesel trucks, tractors, and semi tractors my entire life and have a pretty firm grasp of what sounds diesel engines make. The common rail is a little bit of a new beast for me and with the nightmares some guys have had with the injectors, I would rather head any potential problems off at the pass rather than be sitting in godforsaken central nebraska with my gooseneck packed full of 500# calves.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took the truck to the dealer this morning. Explained rough idle, clatter and noticable knock when cold at low rpm, some times hard to start when cold(overnight), spits and sputters until warmed up after cold start and a lot of white smoke on cold start. This started about 7500 miles and has gotten worse by the week. Now at 12000 miles.

Of course the truck was warmed up by the time I got to the dealer so only rough idle noticable. They ran a number of computer checks and tests and everything in factory specs. I told them keep it ovenight and then tell me what they think tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:48 PM

Angry

Hay Guys, I appriciate all of your responses and prospectives!

I went to another dodge dealer today and got the same answer. Normal diesel sound they said. Well I said bull right back at them. Yesterday I got with two friends that have the same year and engine in their trucks went for a ride in both and drove both and did not hear or experince the noise and other issues I have with mine. One engine has 17,000 mile + and the other 23,000+. Know, how is that possible for that noise to be in some of the engines and not in other of the same type and year? Well, I think there is problem and we need to continue to complain to Chrysler until they take us seriously and do some thing about it.

Keep it up guys!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 12:12 PM

Todays update on my truck at dealer for same symptoms as this thread.

The diesel tech and Service Manager went out this morning together to start my truck. They both agreed with my observations. Hard start, misfire, clatter/knock and lots of smoke until warmed up.

Contacted Star and they believe it is a leaking injector.

Star instructed them to run Injector Kill tests and other tests, not sure which. When they ran the test they still had no abnormal or unusual findings as the truck was already warmed up.

Star instructed them to pull off the exhaust manifold and let it set overnight. Then in the morning when it is started they can see which cylinder is producing the smoke on startup. Depending on what they see at this time Star will give further instructions. The Service Advisor said that they would then probably replace injector(s) and input line(s). They then would keep the truck overnight again and run all the tests over.

Service manager ask if I needed a vehicle since they was keeping the truck overnight for multiple days. He said my extended warranty provided basic transportation in this case. I am going to pick up a car in the morning.
So far I have to give my Dealer Service Department credit for doing what they can to find and correct the problems.

Will update tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:56 PM

Good to see there are taking care of you
Old 12-09-2004, 08:56 PM

keep us informed...goos to hear they haven't bent you over yet.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:24 PM

Took mine in as well, they ran test on the injectors and found the # 1 faulty (this is the 2nd one replaced # 5 was the first to go) now I wait until they get the new one in, hopefully this will clear up the rough start up/ stumbling smoking that I am having very similar to what RamWheelsBy4 is going through.

What I find a bit odd is my Service manager recommended that I have all of the fuel injectors cleaned after they put the new one in?? I thought gassers were the only one that got this treatment, he claims they have so much carbon on them that this may be part of my problem. Not sure I buy into any of that...he said they hook up something in line of the injectors (pressure cleaned) as Well as adding some other cleaner to the fuel tank and the real kicker is it will cost me $ 99.00..wow what a deal.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by HdPower
Took mine in as well, they ran test on the injectors and found the # 1 faulty (this is the 2nd one replaced # 5 was the first to go) now I wait until they get the new one in, hopefully this will clear up the rough start up/ stumbling smoking that I am having very similar to what RamWheelsBy4 is going through.

What I find a bit odd is my Service manager recommended that I have all of the fuel injectors cleaned after they put the new one in?? I thought gassers were the only one that got this treatment, he claims they have so much carbon on them that this may be part of my problem. Not sure I buy into any of that...he said they hook up something in line of the injectors (pressure cleaned) as Well as adding some other cleaner to the fuel tank and the real kicker is it will cost me $ 99.00..wow what a deal.

That sounds fishy to me,I seen injectors with over 100,000 miles on them and was clean as can be,how many miles are on your truck?
Old 12-10-2004, 07:57 AM

Dave65, I have about 10K miles on it now, I thought it sounded a little odd myself ,he was saying that I have extensive idle time and that is what carboned up the injectors. I just came back from a 3k mile trip average speed 75 mph + through the mountains certainly this would have blown any carbon out you would think.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:32 PM

Final Update on my truck.

The dealer finished my truck early, they kinda of hurried the final testing procedures Star instructed. This is the Service Invoice.

J# 1 14DOZ DRIVEABILITY TECH(S): 238
Customer states hard to start in am. A lot of white smoke out of the exhause/knock or tick noise. Seems to run better when warmed up.
Duplicated concern.
DRB tested performed diesel injection diagnostic testing. Testing determined leaking fuel injector when cold. Leaking fuel directly into cylinder.
Contacted Myron at Star Center for information on determining which cylinder is leaking. Myron stated to remove exhaust manifold and restart engine to determine which cylinder has smoke. Removed exhaust manifold as instructed. Cylinder #6 injector failure.
Diagnosed tested and replaced #6 fuel injector. Removed and reinstalled exhaust manifold as part of diagnostic procedure per Star instruction.

Parts QTY 1 FP-NUMBER R5135790-AB DESC. INJECTOR 14099006 Price 0.00

I just picked it up and drove back to work. The tick/knock at idle and low end acceleration seems to be gone. Idles smoother for now. Tomorrow I will know about the cold start problems. But for now I am happy.

This is my personal advise from experience. After you have driven your truck for a while, you know how it acts, sounds and performs with your driving habits. If it starts acting different in a negative way, then find out why.

I have read every post on this and 4 other diesel forum sites related to 600s having new noises/ticks/knocks/etc/white smoke/etc. Half of the replys sound like my dealer for the first day, its a diesel and its supposed to be noisy. Trust your gut feeling and if you believe something is really wrong chances you are right.