3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

truck shakin

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck shakin

Sitting still at idle my 07, 5.9, standard transmission had developed a shake. Sitting behind the wheel you can feel it in the stick, in the steering wheel and you can see a shake in the mirrors. I pop the hood expecting to see a rough idleing engine, but it seems as smooth as it ever was. I'm at a loss to figure it out and I'm probably dealer bound, which I hate doing. It could be that there is something going on with the injectors, but the truck runs like a hot rod on the road. Could be I'm just starting to develop something in the engine, but what? Has anyone out there gone through this.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Could also be harmonic balancer has slipped or dual mass flywheel or clutch is out of balance.

Inspect the index lines (1) on the damper hub (2) and the inertia member (3). If the lines are more than 1.59 mm (1/16 in.) out of alignment, replace the damper.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:19 PM

It may be what BigIron said, or could just be a crappy tank of fuel...
Old 08-05-2012, 03:29 PM

check your driveline and tires and tranny to check that jack it up and it in gear and see if u got a vibration
Old 08-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I bet if it is not the dampener it is the dual mass flywheel!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll be crawling all over and under it today to see if I can pick out what it could be.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

x2 on the DMF.....those things are notorious for grenading!!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
had that happen to me and first time it was DMF but also had a very similar shakin experience and it was #2 injector failing electrically causing a miss at idle and low rpms.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 PM

Took it to a proper Diesel mechanic (not dealer) who looked at the motor and said it was not as smooth as it should be. Asked me to change the fuel filter and put some Howe's fuel additive. He said that if that does not work, he recommends adjusting the valves. Got him lined up to do it in a week or so.
He showed me an 03 they have in their fleet and how smooth the engine can be. You could put a glass of water on this motor and probably not see a ripple. Hopes he can make mine every bit as smooth. Got me excited!!!!! I'll let ya"ll know how it works out.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 AM

What ended up happening with your truck? I have the exact same symptom in my 2006 2500. Give's you a message at idle it shakes so much, but smooth as can be running down the road with all the power it had new.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:54 AM

With a combination of my being out of town and the mechanic's vacation, the adjustment has not been done yet. Hoping for this comming weekend. I will post results.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 AM

My 06 had started to shake a little and make noises mostly on start up, i figured it was the DMF. When they replaced my clutch they had pieces fall out of the bell housing from it. I talked to the guy who did mine and he said if they go long enough they can shake your truck pretty bad.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM

Mine shakes more but I have an auto, I can put it in park and can feel a shake when I hold it at about 2000 rpm. I say about because I have the infamous 2006 whacked tach. This also started after I had replaced the #1 inj.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 AM

Valves all adjusted, harmonic balancer checks out, injectors all good and truck has lots of power. Conclusion,,,the motor is doing what it's supposed to do.
After all this checks out mechanics said it has to be dual mass flywheel or clutch. And; because it still shakes with clutch pedal depressed, then it's gotta be the DMF.
One mechanic says to run it that way till it gets badder (his word, but I like it), the other says because I will tow from Canadian Maritimes to Texas Rio Grande Valley, I should put in new flywheel and clutch ASAP.
However I can do the job in Texas for half what I can at home, so I gonna cross my fingers and go for it.
What do you guys think?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:50 PM

I think it's all about economics. If your flywheel comes apart on the trip and does major damage how much will that cost compared to the repair now? If it's no more, there isn't really a gamble there, just an opportunity to save money (but possibly lose time?). If it's much more, it's still a gamble, but with much more to lose. I've been running mine with the shake for about 5K miles now, but it's all been commuter- with just a couple short heavy tows in there (which is when I felt the slippage). I just called some recommended diesel techs for MN today and am waiting to hear back on how to proceed.

I'll probably go aftermarket on my clutch- no point in putting in another one that will be lucky to last 100K miles.

Quick Reply: truck shakin