3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

truck runs fine but struggles to start...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frenchy21

Just tried that, Oring looked OK, but replaced it anyway and now it starts up right quick!! Cranks over once or twice and fires.
This morning it cranked for a good 10-15 seconds or more.

We'll see how long this lasts.
Well, this "O-ring solution" lasted about 3 weeks. Last week, truck started cranking more and more for each start... It sat for a few days when I didn't need to use it. Until last friday, it wouldn't start.
A quick shot of ether got her going. Running the truck every day since then, cranks alot every morning, but still starting, barely. It seems fine once it's been started and warmed up for a bit. It will start no problem for the rest of that day.

I'm guessing Injectors will resolve this... seems to be the norm on these type issues, but...
Why does it run just fine once warmed up a little ?
I've replaced the stock fuel system with the FASS system, which helped for a couple weeks.
I've heard others replaced fuel filters, which helped for a couple of weeks...

This O-ring helped for about 2 weeks...

Can anyone explain the tech behind this? seems like openning up the fuel system, then re-priming it results in OK starting for a couple weeks ?

Before replacing 6 injectors, I'd like to understand this a little better... How can the truck run fine for 2 weeks if the injectors were bad ?

Ps. for me, this has been ongoing for about 3 months, off/on.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:45 AM

I should also mention... right after changing that O-ring, the oil was changed.
So far, level has not gone up, and no visual signs of fuel contamination.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:04 AM

Try cleaning the COV.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 AM

Well, truck is at the dealer now. It still hard to start but they cannot find anything wrong. Imagine that... I did notice before I took it in that if parked with the front end pointing downward on an incline that it seems to make starting worse. I hope I hear from them today with some kind of news. Truck is 5 yrs. old and 68k on the odometer. There is no reason fuel system won't be covered is there??? TIA...
Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 PM

Are you still on original batteries a guy i work with his truck was hard to start changed the batteries and fires right up.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:39 PM

i am having the exact same problem but it only happens when i have about 1/4 of a tank or less. It's not a fass or AD issue either because it has a stock lift pump.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:41 PM

Yes but they are turning the cummins over very well. I know I am probably not far out from having to buy batteries though.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

Im guessing its the factory fuel pump behind the canister. In 03 they were still behind the canister. The CP3 will stll run if there is no restriction from the pump. fuel pressure should be checked manually, as it will not always throw a code. Start simple.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:07 PM

I heard from the dealer today. Yall are going to love this one. They had the truck all day Thursday. Could not find the problem till they called me and I pressed them to check the injectors. Then they tell me all injectors need replacement and it may or may not be covered due to contamination of fuel. Basically they wanted to fix the truck and have the right to charge me afterwards if warranty does not cover this. At this point I told them to put it back together and I would take it to a real diesel mechanic and have it repaired on my dime. Also told them I guess I can use my warranty papers for extra toilet paper since they aren't going to stand behind it. Guy gets short with me but says ok. He calls me back 30 minutes later and now warranty will pickup all the work with the stipulation that I have the tank cleaned and checked. This will cost me $350. I told him fine but I know this is just a way to get something out of me. I cannot get it fixed for that though so I agreed. I love my truck but I don't believe I will ever buy a new dodge ever again over this. This truck has been in the shop 4 times for ac problems and I had to fight tooth and nail on 2 of them occasions. Now this. DC and GM may not even be around by the time I buy another truck. They should give you an option when purchasing a truck to buy back the warranty. Pennies on the dollar are better than a warranty that doesn't cover. Some may flame me over this but I am sorry. I don't care if there is contamination. What is the fuel filter on the truck for?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by tsmay51
Yes but they are turning the cummins over very well. I know I am probably not far out from having to buy batteries though.
My friends truck seemed to crank over just fine also but seemed to take a lil to long to start. Put new batteries in and starts like new. You can't always tell by the way it sounds. Good Luck
Old 10-18-2008, 09:36 AM

Gotta have good voltage on anything with electronic injection.Diesel or gas.I'd say BUNK on tank cleaning as injector failure is a KNOWN issue on these trucks.To drop the tank and LOOK in it is not very much labor or hard to do.Not $350 bucks for sure.I'd drop tank and ALL parties involved look at SAME TIME.Labor ought to be about 1.2 hours or less if fuel is LOW.Then make cleaning decision etc.Seems like WATER IN FUEL LIGHTS are NEVER mentioned as WORKING or not.