3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

truck overheated today help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck overheated today help?

so I was coming up the highway today on my way to work and about 7 miles or so away my edge started warning me that my engine temp was 220 then it kept going til 230 so stopped and killed the motor and waited a while til it was below 220 then kept babying it to work.

i know the fan clutch is bad and its getting towed to a shop in a few mins for that to be replaced but how could the truck overheat going 65 down the highway shouldnt that much air right there be plenty to keep the truck cool??

i did check the fluid in radiator this morn and it was all the way to the brim so i know it was full before i fired it up to head to work.

any input is greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 03:05 PM

I not even close to being a novus diesel guy, but I had a toyota which the clutch fan went out and that thing would overheat under normal operating conditions in 70 degree temps in not time flat with new fluid.

Someone more expierenced will chime in.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:59 PM

Your thermostat may be stuck closed.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Banned

thermostats(modern design) are designed to fail open, doesnt mean that it doesnt happen the other way though. is the belt broken? alternator light on?(indication of broken belt)
Old 09-01-2006, 04:39 PM

no lights on in the panel inside. and belt looks fine no cracks

only code is the coolant fan speed.

and I can not get a fan clutch from oreilly's autozon napa or advance auto parts.. they all keep sending me a clutch with 4 bolts but mine has 6 bolts this is frustrating
Old 09-01-2006, 05:24 PM

Things to ponder

What was the outside air temp when your truck started overheating? I drove with no belt on a warm day and was able to limp home about 20 miles with a couple of stops to cool down. My point is not that our trucks are similar, they are not. My point is that if you stop working the truck and drive kind of slow, they produce a lot less heat. Leaving the truck idling when you stopped might have told you whether it was your fan clutch or your thermostat.

How hot was the cooler end of your rad? If both ends were sizzling hot then it is not your thermostat provided your fan was engaged. Was your fan engaged when you stopped? If not, why not? If the fan is not engaged and the rad is really hot, your fan clutch is defective.

If it was engaged, the rad could be some what cool and it is your thermostat which failed to open. Was there debris blocking your rad?

I just checked your sig again but don't know if you have a standard or an automatic. I do know that your truck has a huge fan and it is possible that even at 65 mph it is needed to cool down the load of an automatic and AC on a really hot day. A faulty fan clutch could possibly cause a slow temperature creep. Let us know what happens.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:32 PM

it was about 95 and its an auto trans.

now that you mention it, standing in front of the truck the right side of the radiator was blazing hot like couldnt even touch it.

the radiator cap was just verily warm which seemed akward to me... what does that mean if the cap is'nt very hot too??
Old 09-01-2006, 09:13 PM

no flow thru the rad water pump or T-stat
Old 09-01-2006, 10:44 PM

It just means that there may be a little air trapped at the top of the rad where the cap is. I would guess that if both ends of your rad are sizzlingly hot you have a fan clutch problem as you suspected. I have a little gadgit that reads temps. If I aim it at the top of my old rad and get a near boiling reading and at the bottom and get a much lower reading, I know that my rad is blocked or my thermostat is not opening much (very unlikely as they fail open). If both parts of the rad are near boiling then I know that either I am developing more heat than my system can handle (which did happen this summer) or that my fan is not doing much. On your truck I would compare temps at the left and right of the rad. No difference suggests a fan problem.

With those temps and with AC and an automatic, I would just kick her out of OD and let her spin a little faster. That SHOULD drop your temps.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:54 PM

changed the thermostat and it fixed it, the old thermo was closed but i could push it open and closed?? i almost think that there was like an air pocket in the radiator hose that hooked up to the thermostat housing.

just my two cents
Old 09-07-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ZacHolley
changed the thermostat and it fixed it, the old thermo was closed but i could push it open and closed?? i almost think that there was like an air pocket in the radiator hose that hooked up to the thermostat housing.

just my two cents
Cool, pun intended!