3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck cuts out with P0251

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck cuts out with P0251

Two weeks ago while trailering, the truck started to cut-out for .5 seconds over 2000 rpm's every now and again, usually when pulling long hills. Made it to Paducah and the dealer replaced the fuel pump with an in-tank style. Mind you the pump was not dead but didn't pass the flow test.

Picked up truck and had same problem within 10 miles of the dealership. Made it home to St. Louis and took it to the local dealer. Called me back saying it was the FCA (Fuel Control Actuator) so they replaced it. Still didn't fix the problem so I have another appointment on Monday.

From every thing I can find on the forum, it sounds like it could be the pressure relief valve. I suggested to the service manager that they perform a leakdown test setting the injector pump to max pressure. All I get back is that the pressure relief valve checks out ok. I have not have a chance to talk to the tech to find out how he determined that.

Any thoughts on what else could be going on besides the injector pump itself?
Old 02-22-2006, 04:11 PM

Just heard from the dealer, after three days worth of tests, STAR determined it's the pressure relief valve. They are releasing the part today and the truck will be fixed tomorrow. I'm glad to get it resolved, but sure am fortunate I don't earn a living with this truck given the kind of service provided by STAR.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:18 PM

mine is doing the same thing,the dealer replaced the fca and didnt work then they replaced the cp3[injection pump still same thing.Did yours sound a little different like knocking and then die but restarts fine?if you get a chanc give me a little back ground on your situation and let me know if the pressure valve worked.

thanks eric