3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

trany shifting, tsbs and programers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trany shifting, tsbs and programers

Hey guys,

My 2005 trans likes to hunt here and there. Mostly 2nd to 3rd after I installed the Hawks VB, but it has done it while it was stock too. Last winter for a few weeks it hunted lots first to second as well, then went away, now its hunting again. This is all at very light throttle, some extra throttle and it works fine.

I'm under the impression that there was a TSB on the shift issues for these trucks? Mine is an 05 and its built before june 05 (as that's when I got it).

Does Smarty let you change shift points/firmness, etc? Or any other programmer?

Let me know what you think guys, i'm worried the trans might be failing with the hunt at low throttle, but it did do it last winter on me as well, and I think it all went away after the fluid/filter change when i installed the tc/vb. But its hard to tell.

Thanks a lot guys, let me know what you think. I plan on going to the dealer for some small work and want to get my truck updated if possible (for trans shifting, NOT FOR MPG or power which I Have no issues with).

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 AM

igor my 05 has had the same problem from day one. the dealer first told me it was normal then it was the tires. put stock tires back on same problem. it has gotten worse and the dealer has had it for two weeks with no answer as to what or why. now they do say it is not right. they have replaced my entire ring and pinion not sure what went wrong there but that didn't solve the shifting . as soon as i get an answer i'll fill you in. there have been post on here about it some with simple fixes like loose ground wires. if i could just get the dealer to swallow there pride and check those wires just to be sure.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 PM

Ya, please keep me updated on what it is. My truck sees lots of rough off road, so things going "loose" would not be far fetched.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:40 PM

My 06 has hunted since day one. Up-down, up-down...slam into 4th gear. I took it in to the dealer and they did a TSB for rough shift points. The hunt and rough shift points went away for about a month and now it's back again. I think this tranny is going to last about 50k.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:08 PM

alright here is the latest info. as i had said earlier the dealer replaced my rear gears. what they are saying is that tme third member was actually rubbing the axle housing causing drag then no drag and so on which could have been what was causing the tranny to shift up and down. they also feel that the vibration in the drive shaft could have been causing the electronic tranny to receive mixed signal further making the problem worse. i still do not have it back as there was also damage in my transfer case from the movement of the drive shaft in and out. i have seen this before on street rod i had where i didn't tighten the nut on the front of the third member that keeps it from moving back and forth. all i can do at this point is hope for the best.